Desert Island Spirit

maqroll

Your Preferred Stash  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Preferred Liquor?

I went for Rum on the basis that on this tropical Island, it would be hot, and that there's no companion supply of mixers - so I'd make mixers from the stuff growing on the island - coconuts, pineapples and mangoes and ahem coca colas and the like.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, choffer said:

I was making the distinction between Whisky and Scotch. ;)

Scotch is whisky, although whisky is not necessarily scotch. 

Whiskey is Irish.

On 18 May 2016 at 22:00, mjmooney said:

Scotch is whisky, although whisky is not necessarily scotch. 

Whiskey is Irish.

Well aware of the distinction, Mike. The point (I thought) I was making was that scotch is not something I would normally consider drinking but "proper" whisky is the nectar of the gods.

true story alert:

Many years ago I worked in a bar attached to a hotel and we'd get a lot of the bands and celebs stay with us.

On the first Style Council tour they all stayed with us, they were all in the bar after their gig. Mr Paul Weller was buying a round and asked what people wanted and somebody asked for an Irish Whiskey. Weller said he wasn't stupid, he knew there was no such thing. The guy insisted there was such a thing and that's what he wanted, an Irish Whiskey.

Weller looked at me, I looked at him. He marched up to my bar and with the rest of the crew now silent and watching, 'can I have an Irish Scotch please'.

The place erupted in laughter and he announced he'd known all along there was no such thing and was just playing along. They put him right eventually. The man was a god to me, it was fascinating to see he didn't know everything, wasn't universally cool and the people around him felt comfortable enough to take the piss.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, choffer said:

Well aware of the distinction, Mike. The point (I thought) I was making was that scotch is not something I would normally consider drinking but "proper" whisky is the nectar of the gods.

Pray tell, what is this nectar of which you speak? 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Pray tell, what is this nectar of which you speak? 

Having spent 8 years working in the drinks trade (at the very expensive end) I've been somewhat spoilt. When it comes to wine or whisky, I'd always rather have a very occasional drop of something very special than have regular shots of something average. If only my wallet afforded me such luxuries.

2 hours ago, choffer said:

Having spent 8 years working in the drinks trade (at the very expensive end) I've been somewhat spoilt. When it comes to wine or whisky, I'd always rather have a very occasional drop of something very special than have regular shots of something average. If only my wallet afforded me such luxuries.

Yes, but... WHAT IS IT??? 

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yes, but... WHAT IS IT??? 

Ah, you want to know what it is? Well then, you should just ask, Mr Mooney ;)

Top of the tree would have been a 50yr old Dalmore.

On 18/05/2016 at 18:37, maqroll said:

Jameson bottle says "whiskey", so I spelled it their way...

Irish whiskey.  Others are whisky.  We kept the quality spelling for ourselves so as to distinguish from the lessers.

53 minutes ago, BOF said:

Irish whiskey.  Others are whisky.  We kept the quality spelling for ourselves so as to distinguish from the lessers.

To be fair (and as a Scotsman, it doesn't come easy to say it) this is a lovely drop:

Knappogue_Castle_17_Year_Old_Single_Malt

4 hours ago, choffer said:

Ah, you want to know what it is? Well then, you should just ask, Mr Mooney ;)

Top of the tree would have been a 50yr old Dalmore.

OK. That's whisky. It's a single malt rather than a blended, but it's still scotch whisky.

20 hours ago, mjmooney said:

OK. That's whisky. It's a single malt rather than a blended, but it's still scotch whisky.

I was brought up to believe that scotch meant it was a blend rather than a single malt and that was the distinction I was trying to make. Having trawled the interwebz, I can find little to back this up. 

Live and learn, eh? 

• Like 1

Â