Individual Defensive Errors

mwj

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not suprised to see Hutton top of that least. Many of the players have been guilty of errors but Hutton had a knack of doing them at crucial times leading to goals conceded. That Watford own goal was criminal. 

because if he doesnt try make a clearance then Ighalo was through on goal. He had no angle to put it except past the post

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not keen on criticising Hutton too much as I genuinely think he gives 100% every time he plays.

But the number of times he's cost us is pretty astonishing this season.

He's absolutely garbage, and I thought so even when people were calling him Huttoniho or whatever it was when Lambert bought him back into the team.

A defender who can't defend.  But that's okay because he thinks of himself as more of an attacking full back.. but he can't dribble, isn't quick and can't cross for shit.  The only thing he does have is aggression and stamina.  Why we gave the doughnut a new deal is beyond my comprehension, but then again, I do support Villa..

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

because if he doesnt try make a clearance then Ighalo was through on goal. He had no angle to put it except past the post

So he had to score the own goal! Maybe I'll need to see it again. 

Anyway at that point we were still in the game but the way he miscontolled the ball for their 3rd goal was even more frustrating. I get that he gives 100% etc and respect to him for that. But how on earth Garde continued to select him is beyond me. Hard work can only get you so far in this league. 

No, he obviously didn't 'have to score an own goal'. 

The point is he had to stick a leg out and make a deflection, wide of the goal, because if he didn't Ighalo - who was right behind him - would have banged the ball into the net. The deflection needed to be made quickly, with no time to set himself, and he got it slightly wrong. Unfortunately, that slight difference was between 'wide of the post' and 'inside the post'. It was an error, but hardly an unforgivable one, and if it had happened to a better team in a better season we wouldn't be talking about it now. Sadly, it happened to us, and helped us lose a game we needed to win. 

FWIW I count OG as "mistakes" if they are deemed as OG's by the goals panel

To be honest that OG has been the least of Hutton's problems recently (eg Walcott penalty).

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, he obviously didn't 'have to score an own goal'. 

The point is he had to stick a leg out and make a deflection, wide of the goal, because if he didn't Ighalo - who was right behind him - would have banged the ball into the net. The deflection needed to be made quickly, with no time to set himself, and he got it slightly wrong. Unfortunately, that slight difference was between 'wide of the post' and 'inside the post'. It was an error, but hardly an unforgivable one, and if it had happened to a better team in a better season we wouldn't be talking about it now. Sadly, it happened to us, and helped us lose a game we needed to win. 

Just watched it again. It was a pathetic attempt of a tackle that was only gonna go one way. He was better off not even being there. Anyway that was just one of many poor defensive errors. I get that you all love him for his effort etc and that's fine. But the guy is a shit defender. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
Â