LG TV USB port problem.

villadude

Hi guys, I'm hoping somebody here can help or point me in the right direction to getting my tv fixed.

I've got a 47" LG LE5900 LE tv, it's about 3 years old.

Up until last night it's worked perfectly, I tend to use it most of the time watching movies that I've downloaded onto a USB flash drive memory stick, by plugging it into one of the USB slots on the back of the TV, I rarely watch terrestrial TV.

Yesterday, I watched a movie, switched off the tv for an hour or so, turned it back on to watch another movie via the USB port again and it's stopped working, when I go to the input menu, nothing shows up, doesn't register anything being in the USB port.

I've taken the memory sticks out, turned the tv off, unplugged it, reset it to the factory settings, nothing.. It just doesn't register that there is a memory stick in either of the USB slots at all. There's nothing in the tv manual to help me.

I spent hours last night on google trying to find an answer, looked on various forums, but can't find anything anywhere that records this USB port problem with LG's. I did find one post on a forum about a Sony tv having the same problem, and it was suggested that the USB ports were "maybe burnt out".

My TV works fine when I watch my normal satellite TV via the HDMI port, the problem is only with the USB port. I've tried four different memory sticks in both ports, the sticks all work fine in my laptop, but aren't registering in the TV.

Anyone got any ideas as to what may be the problem?

Tried that Tegis, but has made no difference.

For the time being I've hooked my TV up to a spare Blu Ray DVD player via a HDMI port. I can watch my movies now, but the picture quality is nowhere near as good as when I plug it direct into my telly.

Are you running the latest firmware upgrade? 

Failing that it could be burn out. All though you may of only owned the set for 3 years this particular model was manufactured back in 2010. 

Treat yourself, Time for an upgrade me thinks pal.

It's beginning to sound more likely that the board the sockets are mounted on is dickie.

If the HDMI port on the same side is working, the USBs could be on their own card. A computer repair shop might help.

Got one of these. Good picture, nice telly, should have been set up for ages.

Gradually the net features have ceased working, the BBC player freezes and Youtube stopped working a few months back.

LG didn't impress on failing to sustain updates on a supposedly future proof TV. It'll be remembered when we choose our next set.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas, I've got the wife to arrange a local 'engineer' to pop out and have a look at it, today hopefully. I live in Thailand so have no idea what the price would be to get it fixed?

Kingman, I did email LG Support the day it stopped working, but have yet to get a reply off them :/

The TV engineers round our way are clueless and don't want to touch it, so my missus rang up LG Support here in Thailand in the end, and they're saying because I bought the TV in the UK, the parts needed could well be different, and probably unavailable. :(

So, I'm waiting for a service engineer from LG to contact us to arrange an appointment to come to our house and look at the TV, because he's coming from Bangkok we've got to pay 300 baht (about six quid) for his petrol, lol!

The only problem with this is I could be waiting for weeks for the guy to turn up, Thai's are not renowned for their urgency or time keeping.

So, I'm using my Samsung DVD player with USB port for now to watch my stuff, the only problem with my player is any new films with the Cinavia copyright thing on them pops up, which is a pain in the arse as my TV didn't do that. I'll have to use my laptop to play those movies.

Â