What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

Billy Joel - Weekend Song

It's back-breakin', bone-shakin', belly-achin' hard workin'

Two more hours to go

Yes, it's keeping me alive doin' nine to five

And I ain't got nothin' to show

Pretty soon I'll be leavin'

With the wages I'm receivin'

But I know it's gonna be all right

Come on baby, take me away

We got some money to spend tonight

Pick me up at the station

Meet me at the train

Have a beer and a shower and a change of clothes

Can't afford a vacation

But I can take the strain

Long as I can feel you

Find a way to burn it quickly as I earn it

Yes it's back-breakin', bone-shakin', belly-achin' hard workin'

Two more hours to go

Seven long years for the same corporation

And I ain't got nothin' to show

And tonight when I'm leavin'

I'll be just breakin' even

But I know it's gonna be all right

Shake off my blues when you put on your shoes

Oh, I don't wanna stand here and sound accusin'

Everybody does their share of losin'

If I'm gonna lose it I might as well be doin' it right

Come on baby...

Take me away...

Enolla Gay Written about Hiroshima, hopefully the first and last time a nuclear weapon is ever used by mankind...... poignantly beautiful.

From wiki........ 'By the end of the year, injury and radiation brought total casualties to 90,000-140,000!!!!!!

Approximately 69% of the city's buildings were completely destroyed, and 6.6% severely damaged.

Please please please.....may we never see another attack of it's kind in these troubled times........

In a similar vein:

(video shot at the NEC...)

The big shots try to hold it back

Fools try to wish it away

The hopeful depend on a world without end

Whatever the hopeless may say

In [the 20th] century, technology advanced not arithmetically but geometrically, exponentially. Thus the world changed much more in a few decades than in all of prior human history. And with change that significant and that rapid, it's not surprising that sociologists would start talking about Future Shock (Alvin Toffler's book and term). Too much is happening too fast and society as a whole hasn't had time to regroup, evaluate, and take stock of all the changes. One segment of society runs ahead, pressing new technologies to the limit, heedless of the impact on other parts of society.

Medical technology has begun to make possible certain things we are not quite sure we want to do, such as prenatal genetic tinkering. While it would allow us to head off birth defects at the pass, wouldn't it also be a dangerous flirtation with Nazi-style eugenics? But until we can arrive at a social consensus on the matter (something never easy to get!), are we supposed to tell scientists that they cannot continue research in that direction? Wouldn't that be dangerously fascist? Are we so afraid of knowledge that we will try to suppress it?

Or how about the military? The Pentagon rushes to apply new technologies to further its own ends, again before the rest of us have a chance to say whether we want those ends pursued. Suppose before we developed the atomic bomb they put it to a vote: "Should we finish this thing? Here are the implications... You decide." But there are never votes like this. We are simply presented with the results (sometimes in the hardest way possible, as the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were!)

Big business (already known to us as "The Big Money") is well known for seizing technology and running away with it and running over people ruthlessly in the process. This is screamingly evident in at least two ways. First, automation constantly makes jobs done by mere human beings superfluous, so to hell with flesh-and-blood workers!

Second, production takes precedence over the health of the environment. In a kind of corporate version of the old Epicurean motto, "Let us eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die!" the corporations decide that they can afford to destroy irreplaceable things to increase profits by a few billion, accumulating money that they themselves could never live long enough to spend! So what if the planet will be out of gas (and everything else) after their little hedonistic joy ride? Their philosophy seems to be Louis XIV's: "Apres-moi, le deluge"

It is no surprise, then, that the pendulum is shifting to the other extreme. We are now witnessing the development of an anti-science movement that views science as a mistake from the word "go," and regards pollution as the inevitable result of technology. Cancer, says the neo-primitivist, is nature's revenge for science! They seek the comfort of superstition, exactly fulfilling the prediction of Lovecraft in "The Call of Cthulu":

The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day, the piecing together of dissociated knowledge wil open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

In all this turmoil and sludge-slinging polemic [Peart] seems to come down as a voice of sanity right in the middle. In the present chapter, we will examine a few songs that deal with technology as peril and promise, and finally as something more than either...

...What was a haunting note of irony in "Red Tide" -- the realization that is precisely human greatness which makes possible the very obliteration of humanity itself! -- becomes the predominant theme of "Manhattan Project", a paean to the genius of the scientists who dared marshall the elemental power of the cosmos for human use. The fact that the result was mass destruction at the time and continual anxiety ever since is barely noticed in passing. [Peart] is scarcely indifferent to these matters, as "Red Tide" shows. We seem to have a depressing depiction, at least in part, of the aftermath of nuclear war in "Red Sector A", for instance.

But the focus in "Manhattan Project", as the very title implies, is on the awesome wonder that human beings could effect so great a feat. Evil and tragic, perhaps; great with the hubris of the fallen Lucifer, it may be, but great and Olympian nonetheless.

Note the wistful awe, howe it bids us to imagine a time, a man, a place where it all began. [Peart] stands in awe of the human greatness that could find the unseen atom, break it in human hands, those hands which not so long ago swung from jungle vines, and unleash the force that causes suns to explode! Go to you anti-nuke rally if you want, foolishly trying to wish it away, but stop a minute first and gaze on the majesty of man who has wrought this thing for good or ill!

What a piece of work is man!

How noble in reason!

How infinite in faculties!

In form and moving how express and admirable!

In action how like an angel!

In apprehension how like a god!

I live on this big round ball

I never do dream I may fall

But even one day if I do

Well I'll jump up and smile back at you

I don't even know where we are

They tell me we're circling a star

Well I'll take their word, I don't know

But I'm dizzy so it may be so

I'm riding a big round ball

I never do dream I may fall

But even the high must lay low

Yes, if I do fall, I will be glad to go

Billy Joel - The Downeaster Alexa

Well I'm on the Downeaster Alexa

And I'm cruisin' through Block Island Sound

I have charted a course to the Vineyard

But tonight I am Nantucket bound

We took on diesel back in Montauk yesterday

And left this morning from the bell in Gardiners Bay

Like all the locals I've had to sell my home

Too proud to leave, I've worked my fingers to the bone

So I could own my Downeaster Alexa

And I go where the ocean is deep

There are giants out there in the canyons

And a good captain can't fall asleep

I've got bills to pay and children who need clothes

I know there's fish out there but where God only knows

They say these waters aren't what they used to be

But I've got people back on land who count on me

So if you see my Downeaster Alexa

And if you see me work the rod and the reel

Tell my wife I am trolling Atlantis

And I still have my hands on the wheel

Now I drive my Downeaster Alexa

More and more miles from shore every year

Since they tell me I can't sell no stripers

And there's no luck swordfishing here

I was a bayman like my father was before

Can't make a living as a bayman anymore

There ain't much future for a man who works the sea

There ain't much island left for islanders like me

With my summer house overlooking Block Island Sound and a former one, in one of the world's more famous fishing ports (indeed, I spent a summer working on a swordfish boat...), this song has always resonated with me...

Megadeth - Time: The Beginning

I'm listening on shuffle, so

is not likely to be coming up next...

IINM, this is the last contribution of Marty Friedman to the band.

I also forget whether Mustaine has a writing credit on "The Call of Ktulu"... all I'll say is that the acoustic arpeggios are strikingly similar...

Â