Strange access problem

mjmooney

Question

I had this today all day as well, fine on my phone but via my pc could not connect. I was using chrome browser. It seemed to solve itself when I eventually manually typed in the url as opposed to clicking the bookmark, it then connected and after that everything was fine (including the bookmark that didn't work before...) 

Edited by robojoel

The monitoring service says there was no outage today. It sounds like an odd one though.

When you say it worked on your phone, do you mean over 3g or using wifi?

3G. Yeah it's a strange one alright. I'm back at the house now and it's fine.

It was strange. Checked downforeveryoneorjustme.com and it was fine, but couldn't connect even after a reboot. Grand on the phone, even in full site mode. Thought it was just me, so didn't mention it until I saw this thread.

Someone else did some experimenting and found this was only happening over BT connections.

I'm on the other side of the ocean. Maybe routed through a BT server, of course.

To make it even stranger, the pings had 0% loss.

Did it work for any of you when you changed network, eg using your mobile?

VT is hosted in the US so this could have been a problem on an interconnect which is used by both BT and Virgin.

I wasn't affected at work (although I only looked at lunch time) (virgin business) and I could access during both commutes (three). The monitoring service I use didn't report any issues. If it affected both BT and Virgin, that would affect a lot of posters. No reports (yet) from Sky BB users..

I wasn't able to access the site via computer at home from around 0830 until 1830, I didn't try to access it via any other means. But an aviation website I use also has had access problems today. The administrator of that site has said it's due to ISP problems in the US. My home internet connection is BT

Yep, I'm on BT. 

I've just done the re-type the URL trick and I'm back on on the laptop. 

When I posted to start this thread, I could get on with my phone using the website (over wifi, don't use 3g data if I can help it), but not with Tapatalk. 

However, I just tried Tapatalk and it's back on again. 

Curious. 

VT is hosted in the US so this could have been a problem on an interconnect which is used by both BT and Virgin.

Using Comcast in the US here, so really doubt it was a BT problem.

I am also using Comcast in the US and VT was down for me roughly around the same time as TrinityRoadSteps above.

It must have been a peer closer to the hosting company that had an issue.

Thanks for your reports, but there's nothing I can do to fix the internet. :)

If you get similar in future all I can suggest is to try another type of internet connection. Sorry to those affected, but this one was out of my control.

• Like 1

To clarify, I was unable to log on via pc but could log on via mobile, these were both routed from the same virgin wifi. Not sure if this helps or makes it worse :)

Are you sure your mobile was connecting via wifi?

It doesn't make it worse or better. The site wasn't down so there's nothing I can or could have done. The problem was somewhere between those affected and the site, but not the site itself.

Â