Last 16: Monday 30th FRA NGA GER ALG

limpid

agree Holland for the most part are no better than say Mexico, Switzerland or Costa Rica but the have 2 world class players up top and that makes the difference in tight games

I'll be surprised if France don't beat this extremely overrated German side. I think it would be a shame with all the great footballing sides we've seen if the Germans went on to lift the cup, get past France (the best all round side in the tournament) and there no reason why they can't. I just don't think they will.

They are always been the spoilers...54,  74, 82 - ok they lost the final but that atrocious tackle by the goalkeeper against France and then 1990. Can't see this team getting beyond the semis..

I don't know anything about 54, 74 or 82, but Germany were easily the best team at Italia 90. They srarted off like a train with 5-1 and 4-1 wins. Beat a strong Dutch side comfortably too. But this German side are slightly above average. As others have said, they peaked in 2010.

• Like 1

Not sure about France, they had one of the easier groups...we'll see how good they are against better opposition.

Really impressed by some of the individual players of Algeria, notably Faghouli and Brahimi (very fast with the ball).

Colombia are the best team in my humble opinion.

France and Holland have been the stand out teams IMO.

France, Colombia and Chile for me, though the latter are irrelevant now. I think those first two have barely broken into a sweat as yet too whilst slowly moving through the gears. Same with Argentina, it should be one of those three.

But hey, knock out football right...