Our Darkest Hour ?

smetrov

The fact City were a league 1 side not that long ago gives me hope

Agreed.  All we need to do now is inherit a couple of billion pounds of oil money. 

Great, so now we're relying on the fact that "football's a funny old game".  It isn't, it's dominated by money, and if you don't have enough to succeed, you at least need a bit of footballing intelligence to prosper.

We have neither, and the fact that we were in the third division 40 years ago isn't a source of comfort.

Great, so now we're relying on the fact that "football's a funny old game". It isn't, it's dominated by money, and if you don't have enough to succeed, you at least need a bit of footballing intelligence to prosper.

We have neither, and the fact that we were in the third division 40 years ago isn't a source of comfort.

Rather stating the obvious aren't you? Of course it is ultimately about money.

I am not relying on the "funny old game" maxim but there is some truth in it. Everton are a club of a similar standing who have relatively prospered compared to AVFC. Southampton came from nowhere as a result of some good kids who came through and an unknown manager. Unless we acquire mega rich owners we are destined to be one of the also rans but Everton and others are in the same boat and can occasionally rise up. Saying we were worse off 40 years isn't designed to give comfort but it is about putting things into perspective. AVFC despite everything are still a top 8-10 club who with a bit of luck will do an Everton.

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 2

The darkest days were the O'leary days for me. Bakke, Berson, Djemba Djemba, McCann, Hendrie. We had some truly rubbish footballers back then, and a truly rubbish manager, and not a pot to piss in.

At least now I can pretend we have young, hungry footballers than might develop into something.

The darkest days were the O'leary days for me. Bakke, Berson, Djemba Djemba, McCann, Hendrie. We had some truly rubbish footballers back then, and a truly rubbish manager, and not a pot to piss in.

At least now I can pretend we have young, hungry footballers than might develop into something.

I wasn't a McCann fan, but he'd walk into our team these days.  Same with Hendrie.  Berson was no worse than Sylla, and for Djemba Djemba and Bakke read Tonev and Holt.

At least now I can pretend we have young, hungry footballers than might develop into something.

Yet we missed out on 5th by 1 point in his first season!

I wasn't a McCann fan, but he'd walk into our team these days.  Same with Hendrie.  Berson was no worse than Sylla, and for Djemba Djemba and Bakke read Tonev and Holt.

I may not have rated those players at points before, during and after their stints with us but the Djemba twins are somewhere a lot further down in my ratings than 'cack'

Some people need to get a grip. We have been through far worse and whilst we may not for many, many years, challenge for honours, we are as others have said a viable concern and IMO better off than some of the others around us. Yes this coming season will be another very difficult one but things can change quickly and we all know football is a funny old game.

In the last 3 days I have been through one of "the darkest hours" in my family life which put my love and concern for the future AVFC into complete perspective.

We will rise again, maybe not very high, but some time in the future AVFC and VP will be be rocking again!

Agree.

Also, hope you and your family are ok mate.

• Like 1

Â