Our Darkest Hour ?

smetrov

You can't just hope that things will be OK, you need a plan, and right now we don't have anything going for us.  We have an idiot owner who has belatedly realised that he's not up to the job, trying to sell us but with nothing on the horizon.  We have a poor, tactically inept manager, and a rubbish squad.  The only hope we have is for a decent new owner, I just hope he doesn't arrive too late.

But as supporters we have no control over the politics surrounding the club, all we can offer is support and encouragement to the boys. Every Villa supporter is hoping for a new owner to come and revitalise us mate, but as fans we have to do our bit for the C&B cause in the meantime. UTV.

• Like 2

Not Villa's darkest hour just yet but I think we may be on the cusp of it. The team has been circling the drain for a few years now in the Premier League, the luck in having at least 3 worse teams every season has to run out at some point.

As Naz has said there have been darker hours. Relegation to Division 3 in 69-70 and appointing Graham Turner to replace Tony Barton in 1984 who then had us relegated with a little help from Billy McNeill and our then chairman 3 seasons later stand out for me. But this is without doubt one of the darker days for our football club and the sooner the sun rises on a brighter future the better.   

• Like 2

Think this is an overeaction.It is easy for me to say this as being 49 i remember villa in deeper crap than they are now.When the london financier(can't remember his name) came in and ellis followed we were on the brink of extinction.I remember southport going tits up.Younger fans will think this is our darkest hour and i sympathise with them but if you look through our entire history then it is not it just feels like it.I remember the 3rd division,our promotion in 74-75.Our position then was worse than it is now in my opinion.Our darkest hour,no.Bloody bleak and painful,yep,but thats football.

• Like 3

Think this is an overeaction.It is easy for me to say this as being 49 i remember villa in deeper crap than they are now.When the london financier(can't remember his name) came in and ellis followed we were on the brink of extinction.I remember southport going tits up.Younger fans will think this is our darkest hour and i sympathise with them but if you look through our entire history then it is not it just feels like it.I remember the 3rd division,our promotion in 74-75.Our position then was worse than it is now in my opinion.Our darkest hour,no.Bloody bleak and painful,yep,but thats football.

I honestly never knew things had got that bad. I'm even more worried now.

Yeah pat mathews saved us. Not the rewritten history by one man that many still believe saved us. The darkest days in our history have long gone. Some think we will go down never to return. Ffs wolves were down and out and they have come back. Have belief and faith. If we'd have not had that in the days after our revolution and that historic meeting at digbeth civic hall. If we the fans hadn't stuck by the club through those very very darker days we'd probably have gone the way of accrington stanley back then. Things WILL get better. We are aston villa. Chairmen (shitty ones and useless ones) and boy we had a few not just lerner come and go but we the lifeblood of the club stay. Some may go but the majority will br here long after lerner goes. There is a light at the end of this long dark tunnel but it's there and its ready to shine and lead us to the light and on to better days just have patience. WE ARE ASTON VILLA. CLASS IS PERMANENT. The cream rises to the top. And we are the cream that founded the league. They won't get rid of us no matter how hard they try. UTV

• Like 4

Yeah pat mathews saved us. Not the rewritten history by one man that many still believe saved us. The darkest days in our history have long gone. Some think we will go down never to return. Ffs wolves were down and out and they have come back. Have belief and faith. If we'd have not had that in the days after our revolution and that historic meeting at digbeth civic hall. If we the fans hadn't stuck by the club through those very very darker days we'd probably have gone the way of accrington stanley back then. Things WILL get better. We are aston villa. Chairmen (shitty ones and useless ones) and boy we had a few not just lerner come and go but we the lifeblood of the club stay. Some may go but the majority will br here long after lerner goes. There is a light at the end of this long dark tunnel but it's there and its ready to shine and lead us to the light and on to better days just have patience. WE ARE ASTON VILLA. CLASS IS PERMANENT. The cream rises to the top. And we are the cream that founded the league. They won't get rid of us no matter how hard they try. UTV

Thank you Naz for the william wallace styled recital....I hope and pray you are right.

what happened all those years ago was a gradual malaise that got progressively worse and having no money for so long was not a crime is just unfortunate that we had so many poor directors holding on to power.

In recent times we have had money, not compared with some clubs, but more than some others who have done better with theirs.

Its the spurning of such valuable funds that I find so unpalatable.

Thanx tro. My missus has scottish heritage so my real name id McNaz. Just felt like rallying our brothers and sisters (and any in between). I've had enough of the negativity (Peeps have a right to be negative), just felt like rallying the troops.

• Like 3

Been following the villa since the early 70's - my first game was a div 3 match between Villa and Walsall - Ive followed the highs and lows since then....

I can honestly say Ive never felt so bleak about our future than I do now 

• We have a bunch of players - most of which I don't feel will ever be good enough for the prem..
  • Theres a reasonable chance that a player whom, when absent we scarcely pick up a point will be sold
  • Theres seems to be almost zero money for players, even the Albion can out muscle us in the transfer market
  • Despite my optimisn at his appointment - the manager seems now to be overwhelmed by the task he is charged with
  • The owner wants out - and given his track record at villa - than chances of the being a swift , clean, and beneficial sale seem remote....  

Sure Ive seen us relegated before.....Ive even known us spend 8 years outside the top flight - but should my fears be realised next season - I don't see an easy route back

Yes there was always hope back then because clubs basically only generated money from gates and we had the potential for as big a gates as any club apart from maybe Man U. NOW unless we get a new owner with major investment we can't compete so its boring as hell.... 

They say the darkest hour is right before the dawn. 

They lie. It only gets darker and then you die.

I wanted to pull up on that saying as well. Not related to Villa especially, but it's flatly untrue that it's darkest just before dawn. It is trivially obvious that it's darkest in the middle of the night. How did it ever become a saying in the first place?

Been following the villa since the early 70's - my first game was a div 3 match between Villa and Walsall - Ive followed the highs and lows since then.... I can honestly say Ive never felt so bleak about our future than I do now  

• We have a bunch of players - most of which I don't feel will ever be good enough for the prem..
  • Theres a reasonable chance that a player whom, when absent we scarcely pick up a point will be sold
  • Theres seems to be almost zero money for players, even the Albion can out muscle us in the transfer market
  • Despite my optimisn at his appointment - the manager seems now to be overwhelmed by the task he is charged with
  • The owner wants out - and given his track record at villa - than chances of the being a swift , clean, and beneficial sale seem remote....  
 Sure Ive seen us relegated before.....Ive even known us spend 8 years outside the top flight - but should my fears be realised next season - I don't see an easy route back
 Yes there was always hope back then because clubs basically only generated money from gates and we had the potential for as big a gates as any club apart from maybe Man U. NOW unless we get a new owner with major investment we can't compete so its boring as hell....

yes that's how I feel - the return route appears to be cut off - someone mentioned wolves - but Imo the best they can ever hope for is relagation battles in the prem - that's what i fear for us..

I wouldn't say darkest hour tbh, I'd say more accurate would be now seasons devoid of complete and utter hope.

I long for a season when we can have a comfortable season in mid table playing decent football and finishing in the top 10 at the end of it. I thought we could do that last season but it quickly descended into another flirt with relegation at the crucial stage.

These last 4 seasons have really drained me tbh and I'm not looking forward to next year at all unless this takeover moves forward quickly which doesn't look likely.

• Like 2

Â