Bryan Jones to Retire

HalfTimePost

Was going to put this in the Academy topic but thought it would deserve it's own.

The Club can confirm that our longtime Academy Director, Bryan Jones, will retire at the end of August.

Known popularly as 'BJ', he informed the Club of his decision some time ago and, alongside Villa CEO Paul Faulkner, will play an active role in the appointment of his successor.

"I'm very proud of our achievements as an Academy during my lengthy association with the Club and I wish to thank the staff who have worked with me over that period," Jones said.

"We can take great pride in those achievements and in the strong foundations we've laid which will ensure that Aston Villa's Academy continues to be successful ."

Faulkner paid tribute to BJ's outstanding service and expressed gratitude for his commitment to assist in the process of selecting a successor.

"On behalf of the Chairman, Randy Lerner, and the Villa Board, I wish to thank Bryan for the immense contribution he has made to the Club," he said.

"We respect Bryan's decision and we are grateful, too, that he will help in the process of appointing a new Academy Director to succeed him.

"Quite rightly, the Club prides itself on our commitment to youth development and securing No.1 status in the country for our Academy is a fantastic legacy. Everyone at Aston Villa will wish Bryan well in his retirement."

*Full story with further quotes will follow later.

From the OS.

Shame, Academy is looking like it's finally going to start bearing fruit with the likes of Graham and Grealish, and (had he not left) Crowley. Some great work has been done by KMac, Sid and Bryan over the years. 

His replacement will be interesting..

The Academy has dropped off a bit in recent years, or at least it's results have. I think we miss Kevin MacDonald and without Sid, there's a positive influence that won't be there, but we'll really miss Bryan Jones - from every account I've heard he does a superb job. It's a blank sheet for someone new coming in; let's hope we get it right.

Great servant to the club and he helped a lot of players go on to have good careers, not only at avfc but in the lower leagues, its amazing how many of our academy are still playing professional football. Enjoy the retirement Brian.

lest we forget, he also provided us with Barry Bannan, he deserves the freedom of the city for that.

"Jonesy" was our PE teacher at Aston Manor School  in the 1970's and often regaled us with tales of his early encounters with Brian Clough at Derby. Jonesy was at Burton Albion at the time apparently.

He was a great motivator & was also in charge of Aston Schools. He once told us all  how "Sid" a skinny 15 Year old kid of St Georges School Newtown would one day play for both Villa & England.

He was right on both counts.

In his own inimitable words & for all those who know Bryan, " Neat! Neat! Neat!"

• Like 3

Did a good job, after leaving the Rolling Stones.

In all seriousness though, all the best to him in his retirement. A great servant to the club, and a true Villa man. A big part of one of the best youth set ups in the country. Will be a big miss.  

• Like 1

Our club will be poorer without him, what a loss. Much like Sid and Tony McAndrew a permanent fixture of our back room staff since I've followed villa.

I really hope this takeover materializes because we need a total rebuild from top to bottom.

Â