Kingdom Come: Deliverance

hogso

I relented, picked it up and it's brilliant. It's definitely a passion project and very little has been compromised in order to appeal to a wide audience.

For anyone who is on the fence - I'd slap a huge buyers beware on the title as you really need to know what you are getting yourself into. It's a very old school RPG - the sort of title that came with a thick manual, where you have to learn to do everything slowly. There's no manual in this but it does a decent enough job in explaining all the mechanics. It does take a fair few hours to do that though (almost reminiscent of Persona game beginnings)

On Ps4 it looks about as good as Oblivion did but with much better animations and voice acting. It's buggy as hell and the pop-ins are hilariously bad. I haven't had any game breaking bugs. If I accidentally pick pocket someone (it happens) and reload my last save, usually the person I have tried to pickpocket disappears but I've found that goes away if you quit out completely and reload. I was also in a fight for about half an hour until I went back to my attacker and punched him once in the head to trigger a cut-scene.

I've now got my horse, bow and sword sorted so a life of mischief awaits.

• Like 1

I really, really, really **** hate the game save system on this.

Lost over an hours play earlier.

Still enjoying it a hell of a lot but this sort of system just doesn't work well.

**edit for clarity, went to sleep in a bed that was designated as one which would trigger a save and it didn't. Common problem from what I've read.**

Edited by Designer1

I've noticed my bed at the millers does not save all the time. I use the inns to save. They're only 2 gold and there's fair few of them around.

Spent most of the day hunting in the woods - brilliant fun and it pays very well (tip - launder the meat by cooking it). I've gone from taking 10 shots to down a rabbit 5 foot away to being able to take on deer. I took my archery skills back to the range and beat the beginner level but cannot take on the next level as one guy refuses to shoot.

The nagging worry I have is that once you've got good at everything and become the standard RPG badass - will the game still be as fun?

8 hours ago, RunRickyRun said:

The nagging worry I have is that once you've got good at everything and become the standard RPG badass - will the game still be as fun?

I get the feeling that even by the end a 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 attack by heavily geared Cuman or Bandits will be a tough spot to be in. 

I also don't think you can max out everything in a single play through, so Henry's potential may have been capped by the start. You may get to a point where you are rad with a bow, but it'll have meant neglecting every other weapon.

It will be interesting. I have certainly got to a point with the bow where provided the element of surprise is on my side they all die before anyone knows what is happening, but not all fights will be in my favour like that. 

Definitely seems balanced so far though.

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The write up on one of the lead developers on this is interesting. Seems to be the main discussion point about it at from the usual coverage. He seems like a lovely character.

Daniel Vavra? I had heard he was an unashamed racist and sexist, who posted tweets and re-tweets from extreme right wing groups to support those views. Having looked through his twitter account I can't find any evidence. 

There's also his desire to create a realistic representation of that area of Europe at that time which meant the game contains literally no black people - which is historically accurate for the area, and period I have since learnt. 

There may be a lot more to the story than that, but since the initial outrage, I've not seen much evidence to back it up. 

8 minutes ago, hogso said:

Daniel Vavra? I had heard he was an unashamed racist and sexist, who posted tweets and re-tweets from extreme right wing groups to support those views. Having looked through his twitter account I can't find any evidence. 

There's also his desire to create a realistic representation of that area of Europe at that time which meant the game contains literally no black people - which is historically accurate for the area, and period I have since learnt. 

There may be a lot more to the story than that, but since the initial outrage, I've not seen much evidence to back it up. 

That's the one.

He appears to be a fairly unashamed Gamergate alt right dickhead. Even the historical accuracy seems to be off (and easily read as skewing things to demonise another race).

He seems to be a complete word removed.

I tend not to let politics get in the way of my gaming unless it's really hard to ignore, but there is some random Tavern talk in the game that I wasn't sure if it was "historical accuracy" or veiled racism.

It is a shame that the controversy surrounding the creator and director is potentially hurting a great game, but I can't begrudge anyone that chooses not to play this game because of the views of someone heavily involved in it. 

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Even the historical accuracy seems to be off (and easily read as skewing things to demonise another race). 

Yes, I'd heard this suggestion too, but a guy with a huge amount of interest in that period not linked to the game posted on GC that it is accurate - there was no influx of immigrants in Bohemia unlike other parts of Europe at the time. 

I'm purely going by what I've read by those on both sides of the fence, though. I don't really know which is true. 

5 minutes ago, hogso said:

Yes, I'd heard this suggestion too, but a guy with a huge amount of interest in that period not linked to the game posted on GC that it is accurate - there was no influx of immigrants in Bohemia unlike other parts of Europe at the time. 

I'm purely going by what I've read by those on both sides of the fence, though. I don't really know which is true. 

The issue appears to be that one 'faction' in the game is portrayed in a poor light, which ties into longstanding racist tropes in the region, but is actually inaccurate. Which becomes more troublesome when the game claims to strive for accuracy, and also when one of its main creators is a word removed with views shared by groups that will eat up the subtle hints in the games politics.

I've no idea either, and I've not played the game (and likely won't), but it's probably worth mentioning. Usually I can remove the art from the artist, in this case... There's too much smoke and a leading light is someone whose views deserve short shrift.

Had my first game breaking bug. When falling off my horse I clipped into it and became a human horse hybrid. I could gallop around and try and talk to people but mostly angered them by running them over (I was facing sideways into my horse so steering was difficult). Had to reload and lost around a half an hour of play but it was kind of worth it - closest thing to a centaur I have experienced.

I bagged a few roe deer which sell at 700 coin each so made a decent amount from the vendors. I blew it on a complete noblemans outfit which makes me look like Errol Flynn. Probably not the best for combat but I look great in the cut-scenes.

This game (despite some issues) really is top notch.

It's just such a refreshing change to get away from a fantasy setting in an RPG, and it works so well.

It's certainly not one for those that like everything signposted. What that means though of course, is a great sense of satisfaction when finding one of the multiple solutions to a quest that previously may have seemed very difficult to complete. 

Anyone tried that Archery contest on the river yet? I managed to outdo myself and only hit a single target - something tells me I need to practice more :D

The difficulty and progression is very inconsistent. I asked a villager for a reward after one easy quest and he offered to teach me bare fist fighting. Went from level 1 to max level in an instant!

Today I found an unlocked chest in the woods. I looked and there was about 10-15k of endgame gear inside. Years of RPG gaming has taught me that something bad was about to happen but nothing did. I was a bit drunk afterwards (randomly) so I thought it was cursed but nothing. I hope it does bite me in the backside later but I think it was just a cheat chest they left in the game by accident.

I would advise against taking the best perks because they seem overpowered. Hunting has gone from very difficult to Far Cry easy after netting a few bonuses.

That been said this is my favourite single player game on the ps4 so far. The freedom is great, the quests are excellent and there's so much to do. The feeling of powerlessness when you first start was fantastic and having the option to avoid combat entirely is very welcome.

2 hours ago, RunRickyRun said:

Today I found an unlocked chest in the woods. I looked and there was about 10-15k of endgame gear inside. Years of RPG gaming has taught me that something bad was about to happen but nothing did. I was a bit drunk afterwards (randomly) so I thought it was cursed but nothing. I hope it does bite me in the backside later but I think it was just a cheat chest they left in the game by accident.

That's just the way this game is laid out. A lot of things are connected to other things that are connected to other things. That chest may have been the culmination of a treasure map that a vendor was selling that you no longer have to do now, or you'll get that treasure map and the mystery will be solved. I doubt it's a cheat chest though as they can spawn whatever they need via the dev console which is disabled in the final release on Consoles, but would have been there for everything during development. Very cool find though to get 10-15k of end game stuff in the woods.

You know something, in terms of pure enjoyment and entertainment and downright addictiveness I think this is probably my favourite PS4 game ever.

It just hits all the right notes for me personally and involves much of what I love in games.

Some of the humour in it is excellent too.

Has anyone else done the side mission involving the three women and the 'ointment'? That one genuinely had me laughing out loud :crylaugh:

• Like 1

Yes I know what you are talking about! My lockpicking came in handy but I couldn't remember which one was which!

The little details are great too: I robbed someones's sword early on and when involved in a battle later on the poor bugger was doing his best Scrappy Doo impersonation trying to take on several armed bandits with his fists. I did feel guilty so made sure he didn't die.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 15:22, Daweii said:

I tend not to let politics get in the way of my gaming unless it's really hard to ignore, but there is some random Tavern talk in the game that I wasn't sure if it was "historical accuracy" or veiled racism.

It is a shame that the controversy surrounding the creator and director is potentially hurting a great game, but I can't begrudge anyone that chooses not to play this game because of the views of someone heavily involved in it. 

It's set in 1403 in the area where they had quite a bit of strife between different cultures, nations and different factions, I think it is pretty damn certain that there were racism between different groups of people, such as between bohemians and hungarians.

I hate it when people instills the modern morals, viewpoint or demands that fiction follows the modern views when depicting historic eras. Not saying you are doing it, but I have seen that happen elsewhere, have people really grown mentally so weak that they can't handle seeing something what differs from our time or their own views?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jarpie said:

It's set in 1403 in the area where they had quite a bit of strife between different cultures, nations and different factions, I think it is pretty damn certain that there were racism between different groups of people, such as between bohemians and hungarians.

I hate it when people instills the modern morals, viewpoint or demands that fiction follows the modern views when depicting historic eras. Not saying you are doing it, but I have seen that happen elsewhere, have people really grown mentally so weak that they can't handle seeing something what differs from our time or their own views?

I was talking about that scene from the point of view of the creator being seen as a racist.

I personally don't care if games have racism (or anything taboo) in them if it's accurate to the situation or the era, but because of the talk surrounding the creator at the time it was something I questioned at the time. 

I do understand what you mean though. Society has seemingly become incapable of separating modern day political correctness with that of less "civilised" times. 

Â