• Sylla
    • Tonev
    • Kozak
    • Benteke
    • El Ahmadi
    • Agbonlahor (for Kozak 57)
    • Delph (for Sylla 57)
    • Weimann (for Tonev 57)

VF - have we improved from last season? - we nearly got relegated last season, in a season that saw record defeats, worst runs ever, losses to Div 4 teams etc etc - it would be very difficult not to improve from what was an abysmal season - true?

As for Benteke, are you seriously suggesting that because of him and his success that all other signings, players etc can be disregarded? Using that somewhat flawed logic then Fergie was shit because he signed some pretty shit players occasionally etc. You have to look at the quality and abilities of the majority rather than the minority, again IMO.

It's obvious that have committed the cardinal sin here and questioned the one who cannot and should not be questioned, for that I apologise. I'm off to read the emperors New Clothes again, its a good story

Pretty poor performance all around until Lambert brought on the non-Lambert players - go figure

Yup.

2 of whom have never performed as well as they have under Lambert.

Just a coincidence though I guess.

Ben - at least this answer is a bit more polite than your last one, but we can leave that to mods etc

You see the point is being missed completely here. The key players, the game changers so to speak, the ones that everyone and his dog were calling for and the ones that have made a big difference towards the end of last season when we were scrapping around for points to avoid relegation etc, are not Lambert players as such. So many people talk about him as being this superb manager based on the success of Benteke when if you look things the key players in the squad are, IMO, players that he inherited. Now you may argue that Delph and Andi have improved under Lambert but let's not forget that Delph was a multi million player that suffered a lot from injuries previously and Andi was someone that even McLeish praised at times. I think it's somewhat clutching at straws to claim they are doing because of Lambert, because they always had that ability, again IMO

Assuming that he remains as our manager for the coming years - shudder - then we need to be in a position more where the team dictates the game and other teams need to react and change if ever we are going to progress. I am not confident that the players he has brought in and has relied on for the start of games like Cardiff and last night are good enough to provide anything near that. Interestingly we struggled in both until he changed things.

I appreciate you and others still have massive, OTT IMO, faith in his abilities as a manager and not a problem with that its all about opinions. I think he is living a somewhat charmed life where his abilities etc are not questioned enough.

At the end of the day forums about opinions and your differ from mine .................... and if that fails all I can say in reply to you is  "Bollocks!" :-)

But the point is you said they have nothing to do wit Lambert.

And  in your comment above that the key players in the squad aren't his players. I'm assuming you're including people like Vlaar andGuzan in that, as they are certainly two of our key players right now? Does he get no credit for Guzan? Re-signing a player we'd released, dropping a well respected veteran goalkeeper for Guzan and making him our first choice, for him then to go on and produce the form of his life?

It's just nonsense, imo. Of course he didn't sign them. But when they're playing the best football of their careers under him, you can't dismiss him has having no responsibility whatsoever.

Now I'm not giving him all the credit for them playing so well. That would be ludicrous, they've always had ability, as you said. But it's also ludicrous, imo, to say Lambert has nothing to do with them. And it's very selective of you to attribute the negatives to Lambert, but then positives like the form of Andi and Delph are nothing to do with him because they were players here before he joined.

Does he get no credit for playing those players ahead of his own signings? There's many a manger who would insist on playing their signings out of stubbornness.

As for relying on his own signings last night, we all know those 3 were coming back from injuries. It's already been reported that they only trained on Friday in preparation for this match. Not playing players returning to fitness is textbook management. I'm sure if he'd played them form the start and we'd faded second half he'd be getting pelters for starting players who weren't fit.

The spine of our team right now is Guzan, Vlaar, Delph and Benteke (although Christian is off form, I think we'd all agree he's one of the first names on the team sheet)

That's 2 Lambert signings, 1 player who he had to re-sign and make first choice, and a player who's never played so well in his life. Are you really dismissing Lambert's influence on our key players?

It just seems like there's a lot of people who will conveniently pass off anything good as coincidence, yet attribute everything bad to the manager.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

VF - have we improved from last season? - we nearly got relegated last season, in a season that saw record defeats, worst runs ever, losses to Div 4 teams etc etc - it would be very difficult not to improve from what was an abysmal season - true?

Have we improved from last season, YES or NO its quite simple?

I never mentioned Guzan did I Ben? - I cannot remember talking about him (but if I did I blame free Red wine - hic) and for me it's a pretty much clutching at straws to claim him as a Lambert signing as such.

Bottom line as I said, I have committed the "sin" of questioning Lambert and it seems that a lot of you are happy with his regime.  C'est La Vie, I am dropping off this now and off to the pool to eat my lunch in the sunshine

Firstly I don't answer to demands from yourself and Secondly I think my answer was a pretty clear one.

Why the aggressive nature of your post is beyond me

I never mentioned Guzan did I Ben? - I cannot remember talking about him (but if I did I blame free Red wine - hic) and for me it's a pretty much clutching at straws to claim him as a Lambert signing as such.

You mentioned the key players in our squad (I amended my post above). I would certainly include Guzan in that.

And I'm not claiming him as a Lambert signing. But it was Lambert who dropped Given and made Guzan our number 1.

• Like 1

Bottom line as I said, I have committed the "sin" of questioning Lambert and it seems that a lot of you are happy with his regime.  C'est La Vie, I am dropping off this now and off to the pool to eat my lunch in the sunshine

Oh, and don't lump me in with this cop out comment about people thinking nobody is allowed to be negative.

Anyone's allowed to question Lambert. I'm simply adding my defence. Is that a "sin"?

• Like 1

You mentioned the key players in our squad (I amended my post above). I would certainly include Guzan in that.

And I'm not claiming him as a Lambert signing. But it was Lambert who dropped Given and made Guzan our number 1.

Sorry I just don't get your point in respect to the topic that was being discussed.But I feel its a round and round discussion and as said I have other things far more important to get on with so catch you later

Firstly I don't answer to demands from yourself and Secondly I think my answer was a pretty clear one.

Because your clear agenda is ridiculous, you refuse point blank to say even one word in praise of Lambert not even the word ‘Yes’ you have to hide behind another frail argument.

So we have improved, but let me guess its nothing to do with Lambert?

You cannot have it both ways, all the shit is Lambert’s fault but anything good is nothing but pure luck and nothing to do with Lambert?

Lambert is not perfect he has made a shit load of mistakes but is improving and thats clear to see, come back when you have a balanced argument.

Edited by VillaForever1970

Oh, and don't lump me in with this cop out comment about people thinking nobody is allowed to be negative.

Anyone's allowed to question Lambert. I'm simply adding my defence. Is that a "sin"?

Me thinks you need to calm down and chill out a bit - opinions can differ and as said there are some on here who do not share your enthusiasm for PL whereas there are others who do. It's not about "lumping" people at all. but to quote everyone and everyone who falls into each category can cause RSI

Sorry I just don't get your point in respect to the topic that was being discussed.But I feel its a round and round discussion and as said I have other things far more important to get on with so catch you later

The key players, the game changers so to speak, the ones that everyone and his dog were calling for and the ones that have made a big difference towards the end of last season when we were scrapping around for points to avoid relegation etc, are not Lambert players as such. So many people talk about him as being this superb manager based on the success of Benteke when if you look things the key players in the squad are, IMO, players that he inherited.

• Like 1

Because your clear agenda is ridiculous, you refuse point blank to say even one word in praise of Lambert not even the word ‘Yes’ you have to hide behind another frail argument.

You cannot have it both ways, all the shit is Lambert’s fault but anything good is nothing but pure luck and nothing to do with Lambert?

Lambert is not perfect he has made a shit load of mistakes but is improving and thats clear to see, come back when you have a balanced argument.

I have no agenda - so please stop this silliness now, it adds nothing to any civil debate nor does it prove anything one way or another

If you are happy with this so called "progress" then great, as said starting from such a shitty position - a lot of which was down to Lambert (and Randy) - then so be it. Some have different views on what is good and some not so - no real biggie is it?

Your comment re a balanced argument has given me the best smile of the day and for that I thank you enormously :-)

I have no agenda - so please stop this silliness now, it adds nothing to any civil debate nor does it prove anything one way or another

If you are happy with this so called "progress" then great, as said starting from such a shitty position - a lot of which was down to Lambert (and Randy) - then so be it. Some have different views on what is good and some not so - no real biggie is it?

Your comment re a balanced argument has given me the best smile of the day and for that I thank you enormously :-)

A balanced argument would be taking a viewpoint from both sides, you only have one viewpoint that Lambert is the antichrist and point blank refuse to give him any credit whats so ever, which makes any of your points worthless. Proven by after good results and performances you vanish from sight and have nothing positive to say, hmm funny that.

Me thinks you need to calm down and chill out a bit - opinions can differ and as said there are some on here who do not share your enthusiasm for PL whereas there are others who do. It's not about "lumping" people at all. but to quote everyone and everyone who falls into each category can cause RSI

I don't need to calm down :)

But in one post to VF you're (rightly) complaining about him labelling you with an agenda.

But 10 minutes ago you appeared to be doing the same to me.

If you weren't, then fair enough. But that's what my comment was referring to

Ben I was labelling you with anything - your bollox comment was somewhat wrong . As said your views differ from mine no real biggie .

Anyway I have to get back to giving work to our mutual friend can't have him slacking :-)

Vf if you are going to make things up at least make them credible

Okay if i’ve made it up show me, i’ll happily retract my statement if you can show me where you posted after we’ve won with a good performance or where you’ve given Lambert credit.
vf you sure you want to go down this path? You have a chance now to save a bit of face you know and agree to disagree etc . I will leave you to ponder that I have other things to sort out at the moment . Cheers

Vf if you are going to make things up at least make them credible

Okay if i’ve made it up show me, i’ll happily retract my statement if you can show me where you posted after we’ve won with a good performance or where you’ve given Lambert credit.

vf you sure you want to go down this path? You have a chance now to save a bit of face you know and agree to disagree etc . I will leave you to ponder that I have other things to sort out at the moment . Cheers

Yes, i’ll happily to be proven wrong.

Show me where you have given Lambert credit without a ‘but’ not a back handed compliment a genuine yeah he’s done well there and it was all down to him. I assume you have more important things to do, no rush when your not busy you can try and find one. I appreciate it might take some time...

Ben I was labelling you with anything - your bollox comment was somewhat wrong . As said your views differ from mine no real biggie .

Anyway I have to get back to giving work to our mutual friend can't have him slacking :-)

Is that Chico as your avatar drat01?

Â