Uncharted (series)

villarule123

cex will give you £38

from that get 2/3 of - until dawn £15, infamous £12, GoW remastered £15, bloodborne £25, journey/flow/flower collection £20

if you want a newer release then ratchet and clank is meant to be very good

why are you after an exclusive? id probably try and get a copy of doom or wait until the weekend and see if a copy of overwatch comes in

• Like 1

I'm on chapter 13 now after picking this up last week. It's...Kind of outstaying it's welcome, to be honest.

The combat is still dull and repetitive. The stealth mechanics aren't particularly well implemented and just drag out the fights even longer. The 'jump to the bit of ledge that sticks out like a sore thumb" wall climbing is about as fun as it was in the last games, and the "puzzles" are even more insulting than the previous games. The last two have literally been "match up the pictures", like it's some sort of Fisher Price My First Puzzle. They're far too **** proud of the 'slide' mechanic, and grapple as well.

The car chase scene was probably the funnest part of the game...But then, they did that scene in the last two games as well didn't they?

I enjoyed the previous games more even though side by side this would be better, just because other than making things very pretty, it's basically Uncharted 3 HD. The story isn't even saving it for me this time, I can't stand Sam, and Nathan is just making ridiculously poor decision after  ridiculously poor decision. If it were a film or TV, I'd just be along for the ride, but it annoys me in games, having to do something that's clearly **** stupid.

The one good thing about it compared to the previous games is so far there haven't been any ridiculous bullet sponge enemies. I'm sure there's time for them to appear though. 

9+ out of 10? People are taking the piss.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

On 29 May 2016 at 23:54, Davkaus said:

I'm on chapter 13 now after picking this up last week. It's...Kind of outstaying it's welcome, to be honest.

The combat is still dull and repetitive. The stealth mechanics aren't particularly well implemented and just drag out the fights even longer. The 'jump to the bit of ledge that sticks out like a sore thumb" wall climbing is about as fun as it was in the last games, and the "puzzles" are even more insulting than the previous games. The last two have literally been "match up the pictures", like it's some sort of Fisher Price My First Puzzle. They're far too **** proud of the 'slide' mechanic, and grapple as well.

The car chase scene was probably the funnest part of the game...But then, they did that scene in the last two games as well didn't they?

I enjoyed the previous games more even though side by side this would be better, just because other than making things very pretty, it's basically Uncharted 3 HD. The story isn't even saving it for me this time, I can't stand Sam, and Nathan is just making ridiculously poor decision after  ridiculously poor decision. If it were a film or TV, I'd just be along for the ride, but it annoys me in games, having to do something that's clearly **** stupid.

The one good thing about it compared to the previous games is so far there haven't been any ridiculous bullet sponge enemies. I'm sure there's time for them to appear though. 

9+ out of 10? People are taking the piss.

Well said.  The Uncharted series is obviously the Playstation sacred cow, where no dissent is tolerated in the reviewing community.  The fact that quite a few people on here think that it's average to crap, speaks volumes.

• Like 1

In fairness to Naught Dog, it is absolutely gorgeous. As much as consoles get shit on by PC players, this is probably the best looking game I've ever played. The sound is fantastic as well, the presentation can't be knocked a bit.

The story is fairly well paced as well, they can spin a good yarn about lost cities, that aspect of it is as good as the previous games.

But as a game? Meh. Maybe it's not helped by me playing the Nathan Drake collection so recently, but that really highlights just how little they've improved about the actual gameplay. I've played a few more chapters, and I'm ploughing through it not because I'm keen to continue playing, but because I'm in a rush to trade it in before the price drops, which is a shame.

On 30/05/2016 at 09:15, YGabbana said:

Going to trade it in for Doom i think

That's exactly what I did.

Fair to say I haven't regretted it for a second.

I think I'll do the same. I should only be a couple of hours from the end I think, so I'm going to power through the tedium tonight. :P 

I haven't tried the multiplayer, but I can't imagine it's anything special.

It's received critical acclaim, and I fully expect it to feature heavily in GOTY lists. Depends what you're looking for in a game really. Unrivaled visuals, fantastically detailed and varied areas, great sound, good voice acting and a good plot and writing. It'd make a hell of an interactive movie. The actual game bit is forgettable at best, IMO. The combat is repetitive, the wall climbing is boring, and so are the puzzles. If visuals and narrative are what you are looking for it's definitely worth a go.

You may enjoy it, especially if you haven't played the first 3 as you won't be fed up of basically the same gameplay mechanics 4 games in a row with some extra polish..

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

No davkaus probably nails it

It's a stunning looking game with some of the best voice acting around and a very good story but the gameplay is found a little wanting

I finished it last week and I'm starting to pick at the extras, still haven't played online, I personally loved it

• Like 2

I really don't get the hate for the gameplay to be honest. It's not mind-blowing but it's perfectly fun and more varied than most games. The cover shooting is fun and the best it's been in the series. Add to that you can play stealthily if that's your bag. The climbing is pretty cool, looks lovely and is certainly the most intuitive and best designed in the series, the vehicle parts were fun and a bit different (the handling was naff though I'll admit) and they were all well balanced and paced within the story. The puzzles were fun too. Nothing particularly hard but none were solvable within seconds either.

I enjoyed the blend, that mixed with the awesome visuals, acting, sound and story I can totally agree with a 9/10 score. I get a bit bored when games utilise the same gameplay mechanic. First-person shooters have been done to death and bite me to tears. Nowadays I only tend to enjoy shooters with some story or RPG elements, like Mass Effect or Deus Ex for example.

Not sure why UC4 is getting slammed so much for gamepay on here but each to their own I guess. As for the interactive movie comments, thats just plain wrong. Heavy Rain is an interactive movie. Uncharted has tons of varied gameplay.

Edited by Ginko

My last post was about 12 hours in to the game.

I've just finished it off, and I have to say, the last 2-3 hours are the best in the game. No rubbish puzzles, some platforming that was genuinely fun with lots of time sensitive jumps and swinging which I find a bit more satisfying than just taking your time hopping from ledge to ledge, some genuinely tough combat, and a fitting end to wrap up this series.

Some of the views while wall climbing in the last couple of chapters are breathtaking, more than once I just stopped what I was doing for a few minutes just to soak it all in.

It drags a little in the middle, and I still think it suffers from poor enemy variety and average gunplay, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

Not sure why UC4 is getting slammed so much for gamepay on here but each to their own I guess. As for the interactive movie comments, thats just plain wrong. Heavy Rain is an interactive movie. 

I never said it was an interactive movie, I said it'd be a good one. :P  At times I enjoyed the game in spite of the gameplay not because of it. I agree btw that the vehicle levels are enjoyable, I think they break up the other levels quite well, but at times, especially in the middle third I felt like I was just playing the same level over and over. I guess some repetition is inevitable in games without character buildings or skills.

In terms of combat I found towards the end there was a decent difficulty spike and the combat required a little more strategy, it was far more enjoyable. Apart from that one level where I reached a checkpoint and only had 7 bullets and  no grenades with about 30 enemies waiting for me. That wasn't very fun.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the puzzles, I'd have been quite happy with every single one being taken out. I think all of them boiled down to "match up the two pictures by pressing triangle". Sometimes you had to open the journal to match up that picture. I know it's not a dedicated puzzle game, but they were a bit naff IMO.

Edited by Davkaus

11 hours ago, Ginko said:

I really don't get the hate for the gameplay to be honest. It's not mind-blowing but it's perfectly fun and more varied than most games. The cover shooting is fun and the best it's been in the series. Add to that you can play stealthily if that's your bag. The climbing is pretty cool, looks lovely and is certainly the most intuitive and best designed in the series, the vehicle parts were fun and a bit different (the handling was naff though I'll admit) and they were all well balanced and paced within the story. The puzzles were fun too. Nothing particularly hard but none were solvable within seconds either.

I enjoyed the blend, that mixed with the awesome visuals, acting, sound and story I can totally agree with a 9/10 score. I get a bit bored when games utilise the same gameplay mechanic. First-person shooters have been done to death and bite me to tears. Nowadays I only tend to enjoy shooters with some story or RPG elements, like Mass Effect or Deus Ex for example.

Not sure why UC4 is getting slammed so much for gamepay on here but each to their own I guess. As for the interactive movie comments, thats just plain wrong. Heavy Rain is an interactive movie. Uncharted has tons of varied gameplay.

What games are you comparing it to? It has almost zero variety in game play in my opinion.  Pointless climby bit, a couple of slidey sections, chuck a grappling hook, then get to safety. Then a whole load of enemies turn up at once, and you have to put up with the dire shooty bits. Then slide a couple of pictures together for the puzzles, and rinse and repeat.

All very pretty to look at, but gameplay wise absolute cack. Compare it to the variety in MGS Phantom Pain and it's not on the same planet.

16 minutes ago, Risso said:

What games are you comparing it to? It has almost zero variety in game play in my opinion.  Pointless climby bit, a couple of slidey sections, chuck a grappling hook, then get to safety. Then a whole load of enemies turn up at once, and you have to put up with the dire shooty bits. Then slide a couple of pictures together for the puzzles, and rinse and repeat.

You might not like the variety in gameplay or the individual sections of gameplay, but saying 'it has almost zero varierty' and then listing some of the varieties in gameplay doesn't make an awful lot of sense.

As for comparing it to other games, well, I think we would all be in agreement that MGS's gameplay is superior, just like every other game this gen.

We're getting into semantics now, but I don't consider three or four elements to be tremendously varied.  Well, compared to say Pong maybe... ;)

But the majority of games have less than 3 or 4 gameplay elements. Are there games out there at the minute that do things better than Uncharted 4, with more varied gameplay? Sure there are. Likewise, there are games with literally a single gameplay element I enjoy more than Uncharted 4.

I have to say, though, that calling all the elements of gameplay that U4 offers absolute cack and with zero variety just plain odd. I can only assume you've been playing proper expansive, huge, AAA titles and in comparison U4 is small, weedy, and restrictive. Which may be true in some regards, but it's massively unfair to write off the whole thing for that reason.

As I said before, I'm over the moon that Naughty Dog didn't do the 'in-thing' and create an open world / sandbox game, as had been rumoured during the games development.

Or compared to any of the plethora of FPS games on the market, or even other 3rd person shooters like Gears of War for example.

As hogso said, you don't like any of the gameplay which is fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion of course, but you can hardly say it's not varied.

Â