Damp Advice

smetrov

if its a room that generates moisture (bathroom / kitchen) it could be a ventilation issue first

if you've got one wall colder than others, moisture will rest there, sometimes a sloping wall / roof means tight space and less insulation there than in the main attic space

so often a sloping wall in a bathroom is classic condensation, unless there is an obvious 'patch' that looks like a water stain which would suggest a leak, I'd go with Mrs S's idea

if its a room that generates moisture (bathroom / kitchen) it could be a ventilation issue first

if you've got one wall colder than others, moisture will rest there, sometimes a sloping wall / roof means tight space and less insulation there than in the main attic space

so often a sloping wall in a bathroom is classic condensation, unless there is an obvious 'patch' that looks like a water stain which would suggest a leak, I'd go with Mrs S's idea

but ive lived in the house almost 14 years without a problem ?  

Any ideas what I can do ?

Not an expert but im having the same trouble in our (luckily rented) house

We get horrific condensation on the upstairs windows which we have to wipe down every morning, this has created mould around the windows which has grown around the corners and slowly across the ceailing, the cause for us is simple, there's no air circulation around the house so we have to leave the windows open every day for a while and use water with bleach to kill the mould which destroys it for a good few months,

well 14 years without a problem was a new nugget of info!

if nothing has changed in what you are doing and it's just appeared then perhaps there has been a change within the wall or roof? Insulation has moved or a tile has slipped or the rainwater gutter is overflowing. Any guttering close to where its now damp?

(ps I'm no expert! but I've had a few damp patches in my time)

We have a small bathroom with a sloped roof. It gets condensation, and has caused mould on the windows. But we rent and so I don't particularly care. I open the the window when I shower and there is an extractor fan. It is a poor design, it's as simple as that in my opinion. We can't do much more. There is a mould proof paint you can get which helps to prevent the build up of mould. Might just require a clean and repaint if it hasn't been done for a while?

Sometimes I get serious.

Yes, get a dehumidifier.

Then get your missus and DHUTWU

Â