Budapest

AshVilla

Anybody been?

Going there for a stag weekend in May but i have no idea what to expect i'm guessing its like prague i haven't been there either but heard alot im confused it says they use the Euro but also use their own currency the HUF i don't know how much to take

Is it expensive? i hear Prague is expensive

Anybody been?

once or twice :-) .. I'm off there on Weds as it happens

they use the Forint ..

most of the tourists will drink along Vaci utca or by Oktogon and , yes you will pay a premium drinking there , saying that I wouldn't go off the beaten track too much... have a beer by the Marriott hotel and you get a nice view of the Danube and the castle district.

check out the Sir Lancelot if you are a stag do , it's always good fun for big groups (unless you are a vegetarian stag weekend !!) but you will need to pre book

Lancelot

get as few rounds of Bulls Blood in as the night goes on , that will get everybody in the mood :-)

I've not really done clubs in Budapest but I've heard they are good , there is one near the Lancelot at Nyugati station that always looks busy whenever I go past it ...(there is an irish pub near by as well which is quite lively)

avoid the strip clubs , you WILL get relieved of lots of money , quite often at gunpoint

At the end of Vaci street by the Erzbebet bridge is a pub called "For Sale" next to burger king ... that's quite a nice little place to start out and they often have live bands on in there in the evenings

May could be a little early but see if the outdoor spa is open on Margaret island for you Sunday morning hangover cure, if it's warm it will be rammed with women wearing skimpy costumes and you can spend all day there getting drunk and perving until your eyes pop out your head ... the Gellert baths are the more famous baths /spa in Budapest but when you go inside to the spa area they segregate men and women so you can't perv as much (it is a bit of a homosexual hangout , you wont get raped but your mates may not thank you if they find out)

Little tip in Hungary , don't say "Thanks "when you hand over your money when paying a restaurant bill as they translate that to keep the change , you have to be un-British and say nothing until your change comes back ...

watch out for pick pockets on the trams , even in big groups .. more so if you've had a few drinks

although you may not want to do any sightseeing , couple of must sees would be

Fishermans bastion on top of the hill in the castle district , the Mattius church well worth a look inside , heroes square and the house of terror ( it's about the people that disappeared during the dark days for the country , very sombre and humbling ) H of terror is by Oktogon so you are near the bars afterwards for a much needed drink

there are some wine cellars up in the castle district as well , they may do tours and a bit of wine tasting if you are into that

Oh and if you walk about on Vaci Utca quite often some stunning woman will walk up to you and ask for a light or directions .. she will then start a conversation and then say would you like to go for a drink ... needless to say it wont be to the cheap bar on the corner but a special place she knows ..and needless to say you will buy the most expensive drink in the world ... many a tourist has fallen for it , many a tourist has called the police , many a tourist has found out the hard way that the police don't care as they will be getting a cut

I make it sound really bad don't I :-) , but it really isn't , the Hungarians are fabulous people , just like anywhere in the world there are always a few bad ones ..... It's a fantastic place and unless you are completely wet behind the ears you wont suffer any crime at all

Prague is NOT expensive. In fact its very very cheap if you know what your doing. In Prague. Start at a main square and pick a side street - walk 5 mins. Pints go from £3.50 on the main square to 70p.

Walk a further 5 mins and its even cheaper. We had lunch in Prague. 2 steaks with sauteed potatoes and mushroom sauce and 2 beers - 8 quid. And it was very very good.

I would imagine Budapest is very similar. That said, I dont think £3.50 as it was in Dec 2010 is a bad price for a large beer in a tourist hot spot. In fact I think its very reasonable.

Anybody been?

once or twice :-) .. I'm off there on Weds as it happens

they use the Forint ..

most of the tourists will drink along Vaci utca or by Oktogon and , yes you will pay a premium drinking there , saying that I wouldn't go off the beaten track too much... have a beer by the Marriott hotel and you get a nice view of the Danube and the castle district.

check out the Sir Lancelot if you are a stag do , it's always good fun for big groups (unless you are a vegetarian stag weekend !!) but you will need to pre book

Lancelot

get as few rounds of Bulls Blood in as the night goes on , that will get everybody in the mood :-)

I've not really done clubs in Budapest but I've heard they are good , there is one near the Lancelot at Nyugati station that always looks busy whenever I go past it ...(there is an irish pub near by as well which is quite lively)

avoid the strip clubs , you WILL get relieved of lots of money , quite often at gunpoint

At the end of Vaci street by the Erzbebet bridge is a pub called "For Sale" next to burger king ... that's quite a nice little place to start out and they often have live bands on in there in the evenings

May could be a little early but see if the outdoor spa is open on Margaret island for you Sunday morning hangover cure, if it's warm it will be rammed with women wearing skimpy costumes and you can spend all day there getting drunk and perving until your eyes pop out your head ... the Gellert baths are the more famous baths /spa in Budapest but when you go inside to the spa area they segregate men and women so you can't perv as much (it is a bit of a homosexual hangout , you wont get raped but your mates may not thank you if they find out)

Little tip in Hungary , don't say "Thanks "when you hand over your money when paying a restaurant bill as they translate that to keep the change , you have to be un-British and say nothing until your change comes back ...

watch out for pick pockets on the trams , even in big groups .. more so if you've had a few drinks

although you may not want to do any sightseeing , couple of must sees would be

Fishermans bastion on top of the hill in the castle district , the Mattius church well worth a look inside , heroes square and the house of terror ( it's about the people that disappeared during the dark days for the country , very sombre and humbling ) H of terror is by Oktogon so you are near the bars afterwards for a much needed drink

there are some wine cellars up in the castle district as well , they may do tours and a bit of wine tasting if you are into that

Oh and if you walk about on Vaci Utca quite often some stunning woman will walk up to you and ask for a light or directions .. she will then start a conversation and then say would you like to go for a drink ... needless to say it wont be to the cheap bar on the corner but a special place she knows ..and needless to say you will buy the most expensive drink in the world ... many a tourist has fallen for it , many a tourist has called the police , many a tourist has found out the hard way that the police don't care as they will be getting a cut

I make it sound really bad don't I :-) , but it really isn't , the Hungarians are fabulous people , just like anywhere in the world there are always a few bad ones ..... It's a fantastic place and unless you are completely wet behind the ears you wont suffer any crime at all

wow thanks for the indepth review ive heard that alot of the stuff is run by gangs similar to russia i suppose i just don't know how were going to do a stag weekend without visiting a strip joint though :P

How much will i need to take you think for a 2 day weekend

How much will i need to take you think for a 2 day weekend

how much can you drink ? :-)

current exchange rate is around 350 forint ..

around Vaci / Oktogen you could pay around 1000 HUF for Barcadi , maybe around 1500 HUF for whiskey and stuff and around 600 HUF for .5l of beer ( Dreher or Soproni is the local stuff , I'm quite partial to it !! )

Becketts the Irish bar i mentioned is a bit more pricey

Prices can be found here as an idea : http://www.becketts.hu/node/bar

(check out the events page)

Unicum is the local spirit like Jägermeister .. be rude not to get a few of those in ..

Pálinka is home made Brandy .. best to avoid it ..oh go on then , best to have a round of that as well , it is a stag do after all (it's lethal stuff :-) )

you'll probably pay a bit more if you go up to the castle district

you'll sort of stumble along some bars down back streets that will be a little cheaper , language could be your problem here but the universal practise of pointing and waving your arms will work :-)

well i went to amsterdam a few years back for a weekend took 300 euro's ended up spending a grand i hope for it not to go that way this time lol

yeah Hookers will do that to a man :winkold:

ATM's are safe to use over there so you wont run out .. try and avoid the cash booths as they will give you a crap rate

• 2 weeks later...

Thought id revive this as its not long till i go do you think 300 quid worth of florints will be enough for 3 nights say hundred pound a day

Without the extra curricular activities as well if you get my drift

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned haven't slept for 36 hours flew from stansted on the way back our flight was at 4am so we didnt bother going to bed

I thought the place was amazing a real gem of a city i don't remember much but we were right next to the opera house and the apartment was fantastic it was like a palace and it only cost us 40 euro's between 6 of us for something similar in london i think it would cost a grand

We spent one day on one of the open top buses drinking beer we were not supposed to drink but we still did and they didnt mind i tried one of the thermal spa's there and we spent one afternoon climbing a mountain next to the danube with a citadel on the top

We visited A38 i think it is which is a club built onto a ship which was voted somewhere as best bar in the world and also visited this club called Dokk or something like that on one of the manmade islands in the middle of the river

The women were all beautiful and stunning i failed to spot a single minger while i was there the stripclubs were overpriced though they wanted something like 30 quid upwards for a lapdance sod that

we spent one afternoon climbing a mountain next to the danube with a citadel on the top

it's a hill (Gellert Hill ) wouldn't really call it a mountain :-)

half way down there is a church buried inside the rock , did you go inside that ?

I Spy was on TV last night , filmed in Budapest and made me miss the place ..

• 2 years later...

Thought I could bump this rather than starting a new thread.

Looking at travelling here with a few mates in early September. Just need some advice though. We're a group of 20 year old lads so that gives you an idea of the kind of holiday we're going for. Nothing too expensive and staying/going to places around where stuff's happening. 

Should I be looking to book flights and hotels/apartment separately or is a packaged deal a better way to go? Also, are we better to stay in a hostel, apartment or hotel and how much is a reasonable price?

Sorry for the list of questions, just looking to bathe in the knowledge that all you VTers have! Cheers!

i frigging love budapest- go make sure you hit the clubs on the island there are superb

and you have to go visit sir lancealot a restuarant that tony recommended, one of the best ive ever been too! i wont reveal too much about it you got to go to believe it

• Like 2

i frigging love budapest- go make sure you hit the clubs on the island there are superb

and you have to go visit sir lancealot a restuarant that tony recommended, one of the best ive ever been too! i wont reveal too much about it you got to go to believe it

Sir Lancelot is fooking amazing!

• Like 1

Sir Lancelot is fooking amazing!
True story , we were there and on the next table was a rowdy group of foreigners , we thought German or something as we couldn't understand them

Turns out they were Scottish !!

I blame the bulls blood does weird things to a person

well i went to amsterdam a few years back for a weekend took 300 euro's ended up spending a grand i hope for it not to go that way this time lol

ATM's are safe to use over there so you wont run out .. try and avoid the cash booths as they will give you a crap rate

No they are not !! - had my credit card scammed twice in my life both times in Budapest 

Like anywhere there can be problems - Budapest is on our list from work where we have to take a bit more care 

No they are not !! - had my credit card scammed twice in my life both times in Budapest

Like anywhere there can be problems - Budapest is on our list from work where we have to take a bit more care

I lived in Budapest for a year , I visit there around 3 or 4 times a year for the last 12 years ... I've never suffered any card fraud there or anywhere else in the world for that matter, to get done at an ATM does happen all over the world by all accounts but should be easily prevented

Maybe you should get your firm to send around a memo about covering your PIN number when using ATM's :)

Edited by tonyh29

Â