Gaming Site Looking for Writers

IainG

Hi folks,

For those that don't know I run a gaming site called The Gaming Review (http://www.thegamingreview.com) - it's been online since 2010 and get pretty decent visitor numbers considering it's really mainly me doing all the driving. I'd like to start covering a bit more, but with a 10 month old boy and a teaching job it's getting tough to find the time.

So here's the thing.

I'm looking for some new writers, people willing to put in a little time to contribute things to the site. There are several things I'm after, but it's not an exhaustive list:

• Previews of upcoming games
  • Video capture of pre-release demos, games at launch and suchlike
  • Opinion pieces about games, genres, arguments, current game news or whatever else takes your fancy
  • Weekly roundups of news on various platforms
  • More PC and Nintendo coverage

You'll see from the reviews that I'm hooked up with most major developers, as well as a lot of indie guys too. In ther long term and after a bit of other work I'd be looking at passing off some of the reviews to newbies too - in such cases I'd provide the game and wouldn't expect it back, but obviously that's a little way down the line.

If you're interested I ask for two things: a reasonable grasp of the English language (you'll see all of the reviews are pretty well written, I'm a bitch for grammar and structure unless I'm too knackered to care), and the willingness to contribute every week or two.

I recognise the short term rewards are limited to seeing your name up in lights and your writing on the site, but ideally that would be enough for any of you who love your gaming enough to sign up.

If you're interested either PM me on here or send me an email through the site itself. It'd be great to hear from any of you who might be able to help out :)

Thanks muchly,

Iain

and before you ask, I got permission to beg before I posted this... ;)

Edited by IainG
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, and even if you're not up for writing, if you like the look of the site think about subscribing to the weekly newsletter - it launched today :)

I thought I still had him (so to speak), not sure where Dizzy came from..!

I've always been lingering, I just don't have the time to keep up with this place at the moment, it's far busier than it was when I was around more!

Have you tried pimping your blog on gaming forums?  I have an account on rllmuk which is probably the biggest UK based gaming forum, seems like the sort of thing that would go down well there, though you might want to be a semi active member of the community before going in with the hard sell. 

Thanks for that, it definitely looks pretty busy, I'll sign up and elbow my way in a bit. If nothing else it could get a few more people headed to the site...

Have you tried pimping your blog on gaming forums? I have an account on rllmuk which is probably the biggest UK based gaming forum, seems like the sort of thing that would go down well there, though you might want to be a semi active member of the community before going in with the hard sell.

They don't rush to validate your account do they? ;)

Have you tried pimping your blog on gaming forums? I have an account on rllmuk which is probably the biggest UK based gaming forum, seems like the sort of thing that would go down well there, though you might want to be a semi active member of the community before going in with the hard sell.

They don't rush to validate your account do they? ;)

It's Sunday night! 

Try making an account on NeoGaf.  It can take about six months to get in. 

I'd definitely be up for this. I just passed my NCTJ Diploma in Journalism and I'm applying for jobs at the moment, particularly any game magazine jobs that crop up. I could definitely do with having some more stuff published. I'll send you a PM.

I'd definitely be up for this. I just passed my NCTJ Diploma in Journalism and I'm applying for jobs at the moment, particularly any game magazine jobs that crop up. I could definitely do with having some more stuff published. I'll send you a PM.

I know of a football related web site which you could write for too.

• Like 2

In all seriousness I'd love to do this but have no qualifications to do so. I would quite happily do a couple of reviews a month for my own pleasure and its up to you whether you want to use them or not.

I'm with stevo, we could have a section to ourselves. 'Casuals Corner' :P

:D

Just me and you logging on to play COD. Spend 30 minutes getting our arses handed to us, then attempting to write a review.

"Gameplay: we spent most of our time dead. 2/10"

• Like 2

Â