Ryan Davis 1979 - 2013

The_Rev

Just noticed this.

Awful news. I'd just listened to my first full podcast in ages and wondered where he was, before I clocked that he was getting married, no doubt on the honeymoon.

Terrible.

The way he was he was never going to live the longest of lives but... 34 is terrible. Giantbomb is always noticeably different when he's not there, it'll never be the same now.

Say's he died on the 3rd, I wonder when the rest of the crew found out? Fair play to them if they have gutted through providing site content and making people smile for the past few days prior to the news being made public.

I'd imagine fairly quickly.  Jeff and Ryan were best friends as far as I can tell, they talked on the Bombcast like they had known each other since school and they certainly lived near each other and shared the car into work together (they lived in the North Bay and had to drive into San Francisco to the office. Ryan quit Gamespot almost immediately after Jeff got fired for his Kayne & Lynch review.  Jeff didn't tweet for a few days after July 3rd either.  I'm guessing he mixed in the same social circles as Ryan outside of work and would have been friends with Ryan's wife.  He might have been one of the first to know and everybody else on staff might have found out through him. 

Still can't believe this. It feels a lot more personal because I've spent a fair few hours every week for the past couple of years watching and listening to the guy. Seems like yesterday I was watching the live reaction to the Xbox conference.

Edit: and yeah Ryan and Jeff were childhood friends. Here's an old (1995?) photo of Ryan at one of Jeff's gigs when he was a 'rapper'.

H2CAzN8.jpg

Edited by Phumfeinz

Not a clue who he is, but those circumstances are really tragic.

RIP

He is the guy doing most of the talking here.  Ryan is a narc. 

Even as someone who is not the greatest fan of Giant Bomb, this causes deep shock and upset to me. When I read the news yesterday, it seemed like I'd been watching him or hearing him in a Quick Look or podcast mere moments prior, so constant and stabilising was his presence across so much of their content. A funny guy with a great breadth of knowledge and an interesting take on games, regardless of whether or not it matched my own. Terrible to die so young, barely a week after getting wed.

Earlier I had a fruitless hunt for the video where Ryan was testing the Famicom he'd shelled out for at considerable expense. It was quite a boring live stream, but for some reason Ryan's stern, unenthusiastic face as he tried out one piece of shit game after another was hilarious to me. 

Edited by Laivasse

The story of why he got the Famicom was kinda funny too. He managed to accidentally buy a crate (150+) of unboxed Famicom games from eBay because he thought they were Super Famicom games going for a good price. 

Speaking of weird stuff like that, whatever happened to the idea of "The Raid" that they had almost committed to doing?  It will probably never happen now, but it would have been awesome. :(

Edited by The_Rev

mtjM4R3.png

Brad tweeted this earlier. It made me smile, I must confess.  They did Ryan proud too by not missing the Podcast (he spoke with pride about that on multiple occasions) and it's quite a nice listen. It's unbelievable how tight knit a group those guys were, especially Jeff, Ryan and Alex.  

bvBu5GM.png

http://www.tested.com/tech/456736-episode-176-baller-time-7112013/

Haven't listened to all of it yet, but Will and Norm from Tested open their podcast with a tribute to Ryan too.  Again, I don't know if everybody knows or not but Giant Bomb and Tested shared an office for two or three years until last spring when Giant Bomb got bought by CBS and Tested got bought by Discovery. 

http://www.thisyearcollection.org/2013/07/s5-ryan-davis-memorial.html

I guess a lot of people are familiar with the This Year Collection podcast.  They do "best of" compilations for popular podcasts, they have already done a fair few for gaming podcasts like the Bombcast, Idle Thumbs, GFW Radio & 1UP Yours, but they have released a Ryan Davis one too.  I'm sure there are people reading this thread who never caught a Bombcast, this thing might be a good example of what Ryan was all about. The first five minutes is a bit hyperbolic though, the guy who put the compilation together goes on about how people will still be listening to the Bombast in 100 years while on the moon or something.  :rolleyes: 

Â