The 25 man Villa squad

deasy92

What are your thoughts on who will make the 25 man squad out of the current villa squad for next season including new signings made up until now.

How many players do you think it now leaves to sign?

I would expect:

Goalkeepers

1. Guzan
  2. Siegrist/Steer

Defenders

1. Luna
  2. Okore
  3. Vlaar
  4. Clark
  5. Bennett
  6. Baker
  7. Lowton

Midfielders

1. Bacuna
  2. Tonev
  3. El Ahmadi
  4. N’Zogbia
  5. Westwood
  6. Delph
  7. Sylla
  8. Herd/Grealish
  9. Gardner/Bannan
  10. Carruthers/Albrighton

Strikers

1. Helenius
  2. Agbonlahor
  3. Benteke
  4. Bowery
  5. Weimann

Leaving 1 remaining place ... unless others leave above - 1 CAM - Belhada/Kiyotake

Edited by deasy92

I think our 25-man squad will be:

1.Guzan

2.Luna

3.Vlaar

4.Clark

5.Bennett

6.Baker

7.Lowton

8.Bacuna

9.Tonev

10.El Ahmadi

11.N’Zogbia

12.Westwood

13.Delph

14.Sylla

15.Herd

16.Bannan

17.Albrighton

18.Helenius

19.Agbonlahor

20.Benteke

21.Bowery

22.Weimann

Hutton, Ireland & Given will be sold (or given away)

Siegrist, Steer, Gardner & Carruthers, amonst other 'promoted' reserve players, will be in and around the first team squad, but don't need to be in the 25.

We then have 3 spaces to fill, if needs be: AMC/ Back-up RB etc

Okore, Siegrist, Steer, Gardner & Carruthers are all under 21 and therefore don't need to be on the 25 man list.

So that leaves 4 places? Although the original poster is assuming we actually manage to get rid of Given, Hutton, Ireland & Bent.

I hope we do.

Goalkeepers

1. Villa
  2. Villa

Defenders

1. Villa
  2. Villa
  3. Villa
  4. Villa
  5. Villa
  6. Villa
  7. Villa

Midfielders

1. Villa
  2. Villa
  3. Villa
  4. Villa
  5. Villa
  6. Villa
  7. Villa
  8. Villa
  9. Villa
  10. Villa

Strikers

1. Villa
  2. Villa
  3. Villa
  4. Villa
  5. Villa

We've got no chance of signing Villa.

• Like 1

Rob182 I wouldn't be surprised to see El Ahmadi ending up back in the Eredivisie by the end of the window.

He was poor after his initial month of looking half-decent. But I wonder whether Lambert will keep him as squad filler. He's presumably on low wages, so there's no real risk in keeping him, incase we have a few injures.

I agree there's no risk but I wouldn't be surprised if they agreed to part ways thus letting KEA continue his career and freeing up a spot in the 25 that we could use more effectively.

Goalkeepers

Guzan

Steed (U21)

Siegrist (U21)

Defenders

Baker

Bennett

Clark

Lowton

Luna

Vlaar

Okore (U21)
Stevens

Midfielders

Bacuna

Carruthers (U21)
Delph

El Ahmadi

Gardner (U21)
Herd

Johnson (U21)
NZogbia

Sylla

Tonev

Westwood

Albrighton

Grealish (U21)

Forwards

Agbonlahor

Benteke

Bowery
Burke (U21)

Weimann

Helenius

Total: 30

U21: 8

O21: 22

Leaves space for 3 more, but doesn't include Bent, Given, Ireland or Bannan. And since Zog is injured, we may not include him either

Okore, Siegrist, Steer, Gardner & Carruthers are all under 21 and therefore don't need to be on the 25 man list.

Dont we have to name 3 keepers in the Squad? Thus meaning we will have to register both Steer and Siegrist (assuming Given leaves) or have I just made up that rule? (which is entirely possible)

Dont we have to name 3 keepers in the Squad? Thus meaning we will have to register both Steer and Siegrist (assuming Given leaves) or have I just made up that rule? (which is entirely possible)

I think you've made that up. What'd happen if your 3 first team keepers were all under 21?

Register them in the squad. You can still register players U21, some clubs probably have to register some of their U21 players in the full 25 man squad in order to get them to the minimum 8 Home Grown players rule

But the thing is players under 21 don't need to be registered. You can have any amount of under 21s without any issues. The 25 man registered squad is for players born before January 1st 1992 for this coming season

What I was saying was I also thought there was a rule that of those 25, 3 of them had to be keepers. If that was the case then we would have to register Steer and Siegrist (if Given left) despite them being U21 in order to fill that 3 keepers rule (if it exists). Similar to having to register U21s in the 25 man squad to fill up home-grown spaces if you dont otherwise have 8 homegrown players.

If the keeper rule doesn't exist, then yes, you are right.. I understand the rule.

From reading, it appears you don't have to actually register 8 homegrown players, but you cannot register more than 17 non HG ones. So you could, technically (and if I'm reading the rules correctly), submit a squad of 20 players, with just 3 homegrown.

Â