Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

people only wanting "trendy" players and signing people because they are good on FM. He doesn't know anything about other posters knowledge so he sticks to the abusive line to make his own points look better.

Why is it abusive? Its not abusive at all, all i hear about on here is 'fashionable' high profile signings (whatever word i am allowed to use) rarely a solid players discussed ironically the one's i think MON will most likely go after.

van der Vaart van der Vaart van der Vaart van der Vaart oh Matt Taylor, not as exciting, not as good, not as interested..

Is this not normal, dreaming about the European class players? Is is unrealistic? Not really, because they play at clubs under our reputation. Sure they can reach Europe but the Premiership has a huge reputation everywhere in the world. You seem to mix up the word (trendy/fashionable) with (better). Compared to other sites such as West Ham (kumb.com) we are much more reasonable in our suggestions, they are raving about players way out of their league and I am talking Torres, Beckham and David Villa.

When you say van der Vaart, Matty Taylor not as exciting. Not as interested. Is that wrong? Van der Vaart would be two steps up filling a vacant position and Taylor would only bring competition as we already have capable left-sided players. If we had Tim Cahill already and not Bouma I'd same the same thing. We wouldn't need VdVaart but we would need Taylor as we didn't have a LB.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were we ever even in the race? MON wants Defoe.

Were/are we in the race for either? Are we in the race for both? Who knows?

Well we have had previous with Defoe bidding for him last year, Bent on the other hand there has been no indication at all MON even wants him.

I would just realize we didn't have the power of signing players as I thought.

depends on what 'power' you thought/think we have i guess ?

we may have money. but so does everyone else, some a lot more. and a lot of those teams above us may be wanting the same players. and some of those can offer European football too

Steve Sidwell's just signed for Chelsea as I recall, after a career in the lower leagues.

25 he is.... it's not 26, then again nor is Koumas he is 27... 28 in September.

:lol:

Not sure if you're making a serious point or not!

You're right about Koumas, my mistake. Makes no difference to me, either way he's at his 'peak'.

Here's an idea to help people calm down a bit.

Wait until we have signed someone before arguing whether they are good enough or not.

No arguing from me, just discussion. Nowt better to do.

Were we ever even in the race? MON wants Defoe.

Were/are we in the race for either? Are we in the race for both? Who knows?

Well we have had previous with Defoe bidding for him last year, Bent on the other hand there has been no indication at all MON even wants him.

Did we actually submit a bid for Defoe before? I didn't realise that if its the case.

Oh and this bit made me laugh though ;)

I am not writing off Jason Koumas, not at all

he has been in the Prem without doing well, he has relegated and not managed to get back up

That's not writing him off that's fact.

Some would argue he was never given a chance in the Premier League.

So because Tim Cahill became a great player then Koumas is bound to be one too? Why?

I never said that. They were both at the time the best midfielders at that level before they moved up (assuming Koumas does move up) and neither player could be classed as a 'youngster'.

You seem to have skipped over my point about Koumas's premiership experience under Robson. You seem to insinuate that he is medicocre, with little evidence to prove your point. That's why I say you don't seem open to discussion. I don't mean that in an offensive way, I just have this feeling you are against any signing that comes from a lower level.

FWIW, which is probably nothing, I can't see a great deal of difference between the quality of leagues like Holland and the Scandanavian leagues and that of the Championship. Yet you seem quite open to suggestions of players from those leagues.

I am not really just discussing Koumas, he could be a gem I haven't made the conclusion about him. I am simply saying there are better players out there who are proven, whom we could afford and had European experience. Koumas IMHO is not proven and would be a risk, and at a price of 6M I think that would be too much for a 27 year old (which someone said he was.

That's not writing him off that's fact.

Some would argue he was never given a chance in the Premier League.

Maybe so, but surely there is a reason for that?

The way i see it is, if MON wants whoever then im happy for them to sign but i will still have my own preferences and thoughts on each signing.

With that in mind if we were to sell Davis for £5mil and sign a much older unproven in the premiership Koumas for £6mil i think that would be bad business, but back MON all the same and give Koumas his chance.

Steve Sidwell's just signed for Chelsea as I recall, after a career in the lower leagues.

:lol:

Not sure if you're making a serious point or not!

You're right about Koumas, my mistake. Makes no difference to me, either way he's at his 'peak'.

Here's an idea to help people calm down a bit.

Wait until we have signed someone before arguing whether they are good enough or not.

No arguing from me, just discussion. Nowt better to do.

I was simply pointing out the inaccuracies, I wasn't even sure who had said he was 26. But I remembered a correlation with Cahill being 24!

As for the latter bit from Rich. I agree with him that some people are getting a little heated over nothing more than an internet link at most....

I don't think a couple of years makes that much difference once you get past 23ish.

19 to 21 as a footballer is a big jump, and arguably 21 to 23 is as well. Once past there you can see if somebody is up to life in the Premiership or not.

I think Koumas is. Not as our big white hope, but as a useful squad player. Our problem for the last three years is that whenever we hit a period of injuries or suspensions, our squad just can't cope. Having quality reinforcements for all areas is a must for any side with genuine hopes of a top 6 place.

Our run in the last 10 games showed that with everybody fit, we can give most teams a game. It's when the injuries strike that we really suffer.

I am not really just discussing Koumas, he could be a gem I haven't made the conclusion about him. I am simply saying there are better players out there who are proven, whom we could afford and had European experience. Koumas IMHO is not proven and would be a risk, and at a price of 6M I think that would be too much for a 27 year old (which someone said he was.

£6m may be a bit steep, I agree with you there. But a wise man once said if the manager wants him enough then I couldn't give a stuff about the fee.

Are there better players out there at the same cost (or cheaper) with European experience? Proven at the premier league level?? Surely that's only an opinion......

Maybe so, but surely there is a reason for that?

The way i see it is, if MON wants whoever then im happy for them to sign but i will still have my own preferences and thoughts on each signing.

With that in mind if we were to sell Davis for £5mil and sign a much older unproven in the premiership Koumas for £6mil i think that would be bad business, but back MON all the same and give Koumas his chance.

The reasons are Bryan Robson, West Broms ridiculous valuation and an alleged attitude problem. IMO.

Koumas and Davis are completely different types of footballer. Can't see the correlation.

£6m may be a bit steep, I agree with you there. But a wise man once said if the manager wants him enough then I couldn't give a stuff about the fee.

Are there better players out there at the same cost (or cheaper) with European experience? Proven at the premier league level?? Surely that's only an opinion......

The price is irrelevant now, at least that's what I like to think. I am not saying we are going to spend 20M on one player but you get pretty much what you want at 10-13M.

I am not about concluding facts. People are different. I would say that I hate heavy metal music and I don't really understand why it's called music as much of it is just noise to my ears. Yet, millions would say I am wrong and their opinion is just as valuable as mine you know. I would go pretty far saying that we could do better than Jason Koumas in the market right now..... talking about Tim Cahill, why don't we bid for him?

The price is irrelevant now, at least that's what I like to think. I am not saying we are going to spend 20M on one player but you get pretty much what you want at 10-13M.

i can't see us spending that much on individual players to be honest. there are quite a few that we need to improve the team/squad, and spending 10+m on em isn't going to happen IMO

we haven't got an endless pot of gold