Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

He was dropped in October and recalled in Jan, to many supporters suprise as Macho was playing well. Either way he still played the majority of the season.

Well he actually wasn't

Sunderland goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen will be out of action until the new year after dislocating his elbow in yesterday's 3-1 defeat at Arsenal.

Link

He played in 21 league games that season, going off injured in two of them. Those injuries being the ones that kept him out for the other games.

Aye fair enough I'll concede there. I was looking everywhere for an article and could only find a story on him being dropped. I still feel the same regarding foster tho.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Distan gone to Pompy? If we wanted him, i think we would have got him to be truthful, no disrespect to Portsmouth, O'Neill is astute in the market believe me.

And so are Harry Redknapp. His record of bringing top quality players to teams speaks for itself. Of course he has had flops too, but I am truly amazed that he can get players like he gets and be at Portsmouth.

Saying this it is simple to understand that Villa has had managers missing the true chance of getting players suitable for the clubs status. I just hope that MON will break this curse on us and bring in some top players that will knock us of our chairs!

Talks about Naismith and so on...seems more like the curse is still holding on to us...

Players like Muntari and Distin would certainly lift us...not to talk about last seasons buy of Campbell. Yes...Harry Redknapp impresses me...and I am also impressed by Sam Allardyce for the same reason. I dont know how they do it, but they do it very good and they show great ambition!

Lets be honest, take Laursen and Mellberg, there are approaching there 30's, would it be wise to get another 30yr old or buy someone who will be a rock for years to come, We've already done the short term buying i.e Gregory's era. People go on about the lower divisions and Scotland, Look at Spurs who we keep aiming at, they purchased players from the lower leagues i.e Dawson, Lennon etc players who were rated but no-one took the gamble on.

The one thing I am worried about. Well actually 'worried' is the wrong word. The one annoying thing that I know is inevitable is that plenty in here are going to jump on any signing that is not world class. I just hope against hope that those people realise that not EVERY signing is going to be a top player. In fact not every signing may even be a first teamer. There's a bigger project going on here right from top to bottom, short, medium and long term.

For example the difference now is that 2 years ago a 'Naismith' would have been a 'coup', now he'd be a promising youngster who will decorate the bench.

The one thing I am worried about. Well actually 'worried' is the wrong word. The one annoying thing that I know is inevitable is that plenty in here are going to jump on any signing that is not world class. I just hope against hope that those people realise that not EVERY signing is going to be a top player. In fact not every signing may even be a first teamer. There's a bigger project going on here right from top to bottom, short, medium and long term.

Spot on, and it's also fair to say that with the maturity of the current crop of youth talent that we have nurtured and most crucially, have held on to, we already have the basis of a decent side when fully fit. In my opinion the wholesale changes that some on here tout as a new horizon for villa may not happen and may be unwarrented in any case.

maturity, and patience are the two things we need. And tenacity. Maturity patience and tenacity are the three things we need. And cunning... etc, etc.

For example the difference now is that 2 years ago a 'Naismith' would have been a 'coup', now he'd be a promising youngster who will decorate the bench.

I have never felt that taking players that might be good in th elong run is what Villa needs to do...for me I have always had a wish that the club would go BIG in order to take the first team to another level. We have good youth within our squad, so why buy another one that is not guaranteed to be a successful footballer? I cant see the logic in this. Villa need to improve the first team and we can never do that by taking players in that doesnt fit the first eleven.

We are in another position now with Lerner and that they have an outspoken policy to take quality players in this summer. To take players from the scottish league doesnt forfill my definition of quality players. A few might do it in Premier, but many doesnt simply have the skill nor the potential.

To see players like Muntari, Distin and a few others going to teams that is in the same fold as Villa make me feel sad. Both Muntari and Distin would´ ve given us a lift in quality. They are not the only ones that can do that...but there isnt going to be too much players that is up for grabs really. We can end up with a shit summer tbh...but it is far too early to fear that today...however...Villa should step up a few gears in order to get players to the squad that will ease further signings that is truely quality and BIG.

I have never felt that taking players that might be good in th elong run is what Villa needs to do...for me I have always had a wish that the club would go BIG in order to take the first team to another level. We have good youth within our squad, so why buy another one that is not guaranteed to be a successful footballer? I cant see the logic in this. Villa need to improve the first team and we can never do that by taking players in that doesnt fit the first eleven.

You've missed my point entirely tricella.

At one time it was a fact that every great Champions team had a Sweaty Sock in them. Liverpool and Man U sides of the 60's 70's 80's always had a Jock. Our great side recent times had Bremner, McNaught, Evans.

Maybe the Jocks have gone off the boil but just because nationally they may have doesn't mean that a select band couldn't perform well in the Premier League.

This lust for overseas stars can get out of hand imho as some of the European Leagues aren't any better than that lot t'other side of the wall.

Newcastle have lots of big names, reading don't. Look at the league. First and foremost there must be a functioning team. If subsequent signings are prestige players it would be immense, but I would take a team of hardworking professionals over names signed for their own sake. Just because they aren't big names, does not mean they would not improve our first team or give options with regard to team formation. Any random right back from a middling prem. team would be in our first team. And any halfway decent defensive midfielder.