Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

As far as I am concerned Jol are looking to replace Mido, the reserve to Berbatov and so on.

Signing Darren Bent would kill any hope for Keane/Defoe or whoever stays behind, and

Spurs are certainly not good or big enough to keep 4 strikers of that calibre, let alone 3!

I see Johan Elmander and Younes Kaboul are mentioned in the press, I guess they could fill

the role of Mido.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't shoot the messenger as I personally don't think this is true (so I probably shouldn't post it but I love any snippet of news so I thought others might?)

I have just been told by somebody with inside info (110% honest guv) that we will sign Defoe by this time next week?

This info. may well be correct (not the timing necessarily, but the deal itself).

It's looking more and more likely that Bent is signing for Spurs, in which case Villa looks far and away the the most likely destination for Defoe.

clearly. because hearsay + hearsay = fact. it's indisputable :winkold:

This type of thread has become a little more tolerable since Douglas left and we have been taken over by a Board who seem to have the unearthly notion of allowing the appointed manager to manage and have a big say, nay, a total say I imagine, in what players we're going to sign.

No longer do we have to put up with "in the knows" puffing out their chests on forums nor, more notoriously, on golf courses claiming to have insider knowledge on transfers. Or at any rate, we know we can now take all that with a larger pinch of salt than ever. Unless anyone happens to know Martin O'Neill that well, then such claims no longer hold any water, though in this respect I wonder if things have really changed that much at, say, Manchester United.

Some people may scoff and say that there are too many people who take far too much notice of what such and such a player is like on FM - I've scoffed myself.

Let's not be too critical though. Ever since I can remember the most avidly-read parts of the sports sections of Sunday newspapers were the transfer tittle-tattle bits. And indeed, managers and clubs used to feed this demand. It was all part of the wheeling and dealing - feeling the temperature of the water, notifying others of interest or players they might be willing to release, bumping up prices to **** rivals over, bringing their own players to heel even.

Newspapers, particularly the Sundays, still do this and now we have forums like this one, all nice and hands-on, where we can exchange ideas, start rumours, con one another, etc. And of course a good 90% is bilge - fine, that's the way things have always been. Those in the know are often far worse than some of us, guys & gals!

\muse-wibble

... How do you know Bent is likely to sign for Spurs?

I've explained in another post a while back why he would fit very well in with the current Spurs set-up (and therefore why Spurs want him), so I won't clog up space by repeating that.

In terms of why it's likely, there are several reasons:

* Info. from various Spurs sources with a good track record of usually being correct.

* He is known to like Spurs a lot

* He would probably prefer - all things being equal - to stay in the London area if possible

* He would certainly see Spurs as a big step-up in his career so far (which is not to say that he wouldn't regard Villa in similar terms).

I'm not saying it's a 100% certainty. But if pushed I'd put it at 90%+. However, if a top 4 club come in for him, then all bets are off, but they'll have to show their hand quickly if so.

Does it?, and where's that info come from then?, because the media don't seem to be agreeing with that notion!! :roll:

The media dont know everything you know, especially not until it actually happens. I believe at the moment Bent is fav for Spurs but until he signs anything could happen.

... How do you know Bent is likely to sign for Spurs?

I've explained in another post a while back why he would fit very well in with the current Spurs set-up (and therefore why Spurs want him), so I won't clog up space by repeating that.

In terms of why it's likely, there are several reasons:

* Info. from various Spurs sources with a good track record of usually being correct.

* He is known to like Spurs a lot

* He would probably prefer - all things being equal - to stay in the London area if possible

* He would certainly see Spurs as a big step-up in his career so far (which is not to say that he wouldn't regard Villa in similar terms).

I'm not saying it's a 100% certainty. But if pushed I'd put it at 90%+. However, if a top 4 club come in for him, then all bets are off, but they'll have to show their hand quickly if so.

Your notion regarding Bent is often known as SPECULATION, SPECULATION AND erm.. SPECULATION!!.

Does it?, and where's that info come from then?, because the media don't seem to be agreeing with that notion!! :roll:

The media dont know everything you know, especially not until it actually happens. I believe at the moment Bent is fav for Spurs but until he signs anything could happen.

You seem to love Spurs so i tend to digress your opinions on this subject.

---Boruc/Sorenson---

McShane---Mellberg/Cahill---Distin/Laursen---Bridge/Bouma

Petrov/Barton-----Barry----Young

Agbonlahor---Carew---Defoe

Thoughts?

Gabby on the wing is useless and i'd assume considering defoe is an out and out striker that playing him on the wing woud also make him useless.

I'm a big fan of defoe but i don't see to much point signing him while we have luke and gabby in the team.

I think both have the ablity to score a similar amount of goals given a run in the team.

I'm a big fan of defoe but i don't see to much point signing him while we have luke and gabby in the team.

exactly, then whats the point in bringing any striker in at all if your not going to play them? whats the point in everyone goin on about bent and defoe if we're afraid about MON dropping LM or gabby

i'm not afraid of signing new players to replace them i just don't see the point spending money on someone who i don't think is that much better than what we have.

Bent is someone i think is better and unlike defoe bent is someone who can play upfront on his own if we need to and he could play a similar role as carew when played upfront with either gabby or luke.

yeah but carew is a target man, he can hold the ball up well and knock balls on. i know what you mean though, someone's gonna have to get dropped and i assure/hope it's not gabby. the next wayne rooney anyone?

Of course, everyone who doesn't think we're favourites to sign every player under the sun must be an opposition fan :roll:

I can second the Portsmouth is a shit town comment above.

I lived there on/off and the entire population is bombed out of its brain to escape the daily shite that is life on the south coast.

You actually have to watch where you are stepping (for vomit, not dogshite) on the morning jaunt for a paper. That noise Fratton Park crowds make on matchdays is not because they are excited to see Sol Campbell, but because they are mostly w*****ed.

I just can't see Defoe going there.

Even if Harry was his old boss and he thinks of him as a fatherfigure...

Eh i dunno what your on about there Sid. Saying you believe that another team will sign a player doesn't mean you support that team, otherwise nobody would support anyone lol.gif