Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with those that have their doubts about Sidwell. I don't know if he's good enough to take us to the next level. Maybe better than McCann, who is the kind of player you realise how good he can be when he's out injured, but that much better? I have my doubts. Not the kind of signing that would excite me.

Don't know enough of this Quaresma. Portugese? Where does he play now?

He plays for Porto but Inter are supposed to be virtually certain of his signiture!

....worth a shot though!

Sidwell - fine on a free, but as many have stated, not a signing to capture the imagination and I think players need to be judged on more than 1 season. Look at Michael Ricketts.

Simao is class, Sneijder is the real deal and Quaresma would be ace, but, could we attract them without Europe? It would be tough, but you never know.

He plays for Porto but Inter are supposed to be virtually certain of his signiture!

....worth a shot though!

Well, if becoming italian champions Inter are in for him the only thing we can hope for is that they can't guarantee him a place in the team which we can. But that's really clutching at straws. Let's try to find another one, even if he would be ace for us. There are plenty of good midfielders outside the PL too.

Shock Villa transfer target 

12:05 March, 26, 2007 

Aston Villa have reportedly targeted Watford's injury-struck striker Marlon King.

The Hornets ace has missed most of the season through injury but Martin O’Neill is still in pursuit of King.

The former Nottingham Forest hitman has an excellent goal ratio to his name and will almost certainly depart Watford if they tumble into the Championship.

Lancashire rivals Blackburn and Bolton are also thought to be in the hunt.

http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagenews.asp?newsid=164875

seems were targeting many strikers :/

The point is Tricella that Sidwell has had one season where he has arguably done very well. Reo Coker was flavour of the month this time last season. The fact is Sidwell needs to show me alot more to make me believe that he is a player of the quality suggested. Better than McCann, he probably is, but I want someone much better than him and I am not convinced that Sidwell is that player.

That is true. I would like us to buy a much more qualified player for the defensive midfielder role than Sidwell...but if MON wants to buy him then I do believe him to be a far better player than what we have now. I dont think that MON rates any of our young players in the middle to be honest and McCann should be playing his last season as a regular for the team this season. I think that Sidwell is one of two or three players coming in that will hold a central midfield role.

the reason some people want sidwell and some don't is expectations

some people think we will be signing near world class, other believe we will simply buy better than what we already have and have slow progression

i don't see why people are making the comparison to reo coker about him being a one season wonder, sidwell was showing in the championshiop that he was ready for the step up like nugent, ashton, lescott etc and now hes came into the premiership hes took his form with him.

i don't know if any of you followed his progress in the championship but he's not like a stephen hunt or glen little who have looked average in the championship and are now suddenly performing excellently in the premiership. He's always showed that hes a quality player who should be in the premiership hence him always being linked with premiership clubs when he was in the championship.

Just because he plays in reo-cokers position doesn't mean he will suddenly became a poor player, at this moment in time hes a lot better than reo-coker and has a better attitude which will help him strive on to be a better player.

sidwell has the ambition to play for england and in europe, where reo-coker and ferdinand have shown this season that they think they've made it and are in for a cushy life where they don't need to put 100% in every week.

the signings i expect us to make in pre season are not world beaters, but players who are better than what we currently have and will help us challenge for europe rather than mid table, and sidwell fits that bill.

the sort of centre midfielder we need at this moment in time is

one who has bags of energy and is willing to run his self into the ground for the team,

one who can provide a good link between defence and attack so we don't resort to route 1

one who has the necessary quality to be able to score goals and get back and help defend

one who is better than what we currently have

one who is young with ambition and a professional attitude

sidwell has all of that and at 0 cost, if he doesn't progress as it seems he will then we don't lose out on any money as he hasn't cost anything.

plus we have got a lot of positions that need improving on, and we only have 2 centre midfielders who look capable of helping us progress, when really we need 4, so we are bolstering our squad and improving on the first team all in one.

quaresma,sneijder and simao are all great players and from my experience with FM would really make us a top 6 side.But i honestly doubt they'll want to come to villa now.Maybe after a few years we might be able to attract players of that calibre but right now i dont see it happening.

Reo coker also looked quality from what I saw in the Championship. FWIW I still think he is a good player. The comparison is simply that both had excellent first seasons yet one is now seemingly no longer a good player after his second season and there is a risk Sidwell could go the same way.

The expectation argument is true although highly exaggerated. I would much rather us sign someone like Barton or Parker to play the midfield anchor role. They are "gettable" and are not what I would call "near world class" players.

It is also a myth to think Sidwell is a goal scoring midfielder. He isn't. He is a box to box player who will score every now and then.

On a free transfer he would be a good signing but I think that there are better players out there than him and I am not convinced he is top 6 quality which are the kind of players we should be aiming for to come into the team. Don't get me wrong, he could turn out to be the next big thing but I am yet to be convinced of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFopSa2tom4

I said it a while back..

but this is on the world stage.. Quaresma is a freak. Sign him up PLEASE. he would be our C Ronaldo.

A great goal, but anyone who watched the whole match would have seen a lot of defects to his game. He is pretty erratic and his left foot is especially weak. Quite a long way short of Ronaldo IMHO.

Wouldn't mind almost anybody from the rest of that squad though.

theres a risk he could yes, but theres a risk with every player, if we signed barton he could just go abit off the boil and might never produce england quality performances.

but when theres no price attached the risk is worth it, hes the sort of player that MON is after young, hardworking and ambitious so IMO i think he will strive further on.

i would rather barton than sidwell but we might not be able to get him for various reasons, i wouldn't say parker is gettable either. I highly doubt newcastle would accept anything below 10 million and we would be getting ripped off for paying anything more than 10 million. Especially with emre looking to be on his way out in the summer and butt getting on, parker will become more and more valuble to them.

i don't know how many goals you need to be a goal scoring midfielder but he is capable of scoring goals, hes scored 30 in a 160 games which is good for someone who is 24 with his best years ahead of him, where theres a possibility he will bring more goals to his game. Yes alot of them were in the championship but it proves he knows where the goal is.

we need 4 quality centre midfielders IMO, we have 2 and perhaps only 1 who is capable of being a quality player for a team chasing europe, so surely sidwell would be a good signing?

as with my 'dream summer' post i did a few pages back i had him on the bench if we improved rapidly and he was only a bench player then he would still be an important part of the sqaud, if one of our centre midfielders gets injured he is more than capable of coming in an doing a good job rather than craig gardner who has shown he isn't ready for premiership football or davis who doesn't have much of an impact in games.