Tunisia

steve1986

Yes been a couple times but not since the 90's

Nice beaches, no bars outside hotel complexes, enjoyed going to the Star Wars set and seeing Troglodyte people

Also went to Carthage which has significant Roman importance

The Mrs CI At the time got lots of stares and drools off locals as she was blonde and they like blonde western women out there

Carthage is great.

We stayed in Port El Kantoui - nice enough with a good fountain/music show every night in the square which was quite impressive. The people seemed to change from not being able to do enough to help you to hassling a lot. Particularly taxi drivers.

Quite a few children begging too.

If there's anything in particular you want to know ask away.

Stayed in Hammamet in 99, for my honeymoon. We had a week in Les Orangers and then a week doing what they call a desert safari. Moving round in a 4x4, kairouan, carthage, el djem, tozeur. etc. Saw some great historical sights as well as the inevitable star wars stuff. Watched the sun set in the sahara, which is up there with the grand canyon for me.

now it was 99 but I loved the place. Cheap back then, good food, no complaints at all. The locals are pushy when it comes to flogging stuff and women did get leered at. I hope to return, possibly next year.

Skanes isn't an island. It's a purpose built resort - basically a strip of beach with a number of different hotels based on it, fairly near to the airport if I remember correctly. 

Being purposely built is doesn't really have much 'soul' - some decent looking hotels though so it's a toss up between the two and what you prefer I guess.

We went to Port el kantoui last year, a freebie so can't complain...but I will.

1. If you haven't got kids go for an adult only hotel. Unless you like "Pontins In The Sun".

2. It's hot. Very hot. Absolutely **** hot (in August anyway :) )

3. The locals trying to flog you tat wherever you go are a fecking nuisance.

4. Beaches are nice but sadly the sand is full of fag ends as EVERYONE seems to smoke.

5. It's astonishingly hot.

6. The sea is clear and nice for a swim, because it's hot.

7. All inclusive FTW - the beer is shite but endless bottles of wine are very nice indeed.

8. Stay in and around the hotel. If you must go for a trip there are no end of taxi drivers bartering for your cash.

9. Tour companies do some very good day trips - we went to the Ampitheatre where they filmed part of Gladiator - at El Jem.

10. It's **** hot , did I mention that?

enjoyed going to the Star Wars set and seeing Troglodyte people

It was nice to see you, too.

I went to Tunisia for a couple of weeks in 2007, and very much enjoyed it.  Stopped at the Hotel Royal Kenz in Port el Kantaoui, which at the time was adults-only, on a half board basis.  My girlfriend at the time and I thought that it was great - more than we were expecting really, considering that we got a fairly good deal.

Port el Kantaoui was a nice resort, and it's lovely to walk around the harbour in the sun.  I don't play golf, but there's a supposedly good course there, too.  You get hassled a lot by everyone trying to sell you everything, but after a couple of days you'll get used to it.  Just don't feign interest or you'll end up never getting anywhere and pissing a lot of people off.  Carry on walking and practise saying "no thanks"!  As other have said, they like blonde Western women, too - so prepare for your partner to be leered at if you're taking one and she's remotely attractive and/or blonde!

We took a two day excursion to see the sights around the country, similar to Seat68, but we travelled on a coach.  The travelling wasn't pleasant: although the coach had air conditioning, it was still hot and sticky, and we were on it for long periods of time.  Many of the sights were certainly worth it, though.  The colosseum at El Djem is magnificent, and going out into the Sahara (including watching the sun rise over the Atlas mountains) is an experience I'll never forget.

And, as Rob was trying to explain but couldn't quite seem to find the words, it is hot.  I went in July, and although personally I didn't find it unbearable, it really was very warm at times.

enjoyed going to the Star Wars set and seeing Troglodyte people

Stopped at the Hotel Royal Kenz in Port el Kantaoui, which at the time was adults-only, on a half board basis.  My girlfriend at the time and I thought that it was great - more than we were expecting really

Not my scene but is that code for swingers hotel ;-)

Â