Man Utd v Real Madrid Champions League 2nd Leg

andykeenan

Think Townsend made a good point and it actually happened in this game late on. Diego Lopez came out to punch and missed the ball and punched Vidic in the head. Clearly he didn't go out to punch Vidic and probably didn't even see him - by if Nani's is a red then so is that.

Odd that situation and it illustrates the point. I said at the time it happened that "it's not a penalty, it never is in those situations, but it's kind of strange that it's not looking at it again". He comes in to punch the ball away but he hits Vidic with two fists straight to the head. Instead of looking at it as a punch, look at it as a late tackle to the feet after the player has made contact to the ball. Not far away from a penalty really, but again, a penalty is never whistled from those situations. 50/50 for me, as he completely misses the ball and also disrupts Vidic from following through on his header.

Think Townsend made a good point and it actually happened in this game late on. Diego Lopez came out to punch and missed the ball and punched Vidic in the head. Clearly he didn't go out to punch Vidic and probably didn't even see him - by if Nani's is a red then so is that.

No because punching is a part of goalkeeping. Studs showing 6ft in the air is not part of a any players game. Watch the reply, as he feels arbeloa he flicks out a little bit. Regardless of that though, its dangerous play, and a stonewall red.

Is there a law against a player having his feet above the ground at any time? Is a player not allowed to collect the ball using any kind of technique he wishes, like Thierry Henry did numerous times when he collected high balls like that to avoid a bad touch if he waited until the ball fell too close to the ground?

It is not really dangerous play from Nani, he doesn't know the guy is there. Arbeloa knows more about the situation than Nani does to be honest, he knows that there is a chance he will be struck as the player is about to collect the ball. Coincidence/misfortune makes Nani hit the guy that way, it could have been the arm, the head, the knee on the way down or no contact at all, doesn't really matter as Nani isn't knowingly going to tackle Arbeloa in the chest/side of the body in a game like that. That is the difference between a red and a yellow card in this sport. There are stricter laws against elbowing because they are basically only going to hit heads if used intentionally or as leverage, and I agree with the rules. However, I have also seen many red cards given for elbows where the player have done nothing wrong, only for the other player to act like he was hit hard because the elbow touches his head, or even players making contact with the other player's elbow to get him sent off. Yes the elbow touched the head, but it doesn't mean it is a red card. In this instance, the boot hit the other guy in the chest, but it was not a tackle per se from Nani, like de Jong's famous attack a few years back.

So no, it is not a stonewall red card. And if you look around the web you would see that the word "controversial" is being used more often than "correct", and I highly doubt that the Turk will referee the final in London.

Edited by Papillon

No because punching is a part of goalkeeping. Studs showing 6ft in the air is not part of a any players game. Watch the reply, as he feels arbeloa he flicks out a little bit. Regardless of that though, its dangerous play, and a stonewall red.

Is there a law against a player having his feet above the ground at any time? Is a player not allowed to collect the ball using any kind of technique he wishes, like Thierry Henry did numerous times when he collected high balls like that to avoid a bad touch if he waited until the ball fell too close to the ground?

It is not really dangerous play from Nani, he doesnt know the guy is there. Arbeloa knows more about the situation than Nani does to be honest, he knows that there is a chance he will be struck as the player is about to collect the ball. Circumstance makes Nani hit the guy that way, it could have been the arm, the head, the knee on the way down or no contact at all, doesn't really matter as Nani isn't knowingly going to tackle Arbeloa in the chest/side of the body. That is the difference between a red and a yellow card in this sport of contact.

So no, it is not a stonewall red card. And if you look around the web you would see that the word "controversial" is being used more often than "correct".

It doesnt matter whether he knows hes there are not. He doesnt know hes there as much as he doesnt know hes not there.

Yes there is a law that says you cant go flying 6 studs about into peoples chests (regardless of whether you know hes there or not). Its called dangerous play. Which warrants a red card.

Had Thierry Henry fouled with any of his controls and put studs in someones body then he would also warrant a red card. Difficult to compare an example that doesnt include a foul.

Oh, if theres more controversial (which doesnt mean wrong) than correct on the web, you must be right.

Shall we talk about something else? How about how this arrogant fucknut got off scot free.

ifMqWF94BPM1p.gif

absolute word removed. shook referee hand in the hand but he hesitated. Hope UEFA hit him with a ban

It is not really dangerous play from Nani, he doesnt know the guy is there. Arbeloa knows more about the situation than Nani does to be honest, he knows that there is a chance he will be struck as the player is about to collect the ball. Circumstance makes Nani hit the guy that way, it could have been the arm, the head, the knee on the way down or no contact at all, doesn't really matter as Nani isn't knowingly going to tackle Arbeloa in the chest/side of the body. That is the difference between a red and a yellow card in this sport of contact.

So no, it is not a stonewall red card. And if you look around the web you would see that the word "controversial" is being used more often than "correct".

It doesnt matter whether he knows hes there are not. He doesnt know hes there as much as he doesnt know hes not there.

Same goes for Diego Lopez on Vidic. Only difference between the 2 is that what Lopez did is far more likely to cause damage. Neither are reds though, not even close.

It is not really dangerous play from Nani, he doesn't know the guy is there.

It's dangerous play precisely because he doesn't know the guy is there.

I don't get how people don't understand this. Watching the ball doesn't mean you can start kung fu kicking across the pitch. You're responsible for where your feet end up, and not watching where you're launching a high boot into is by definition reckless play, and therefore a red card is entirely appropriate for it.

for me the ref excuse is a cop-out. Last season Chelsea were 2down vs 10 for nearly an hour at Camp Nou and not only held on but brought game to 2-2

This is Madrid we're talking about though, with the best player in World football.

• Like 1

for me the ref excuse is a cop-out. Last season Chelsea were 2down vs 10 for nearly an hour at Camp Nou and not only held on but brought game to 2-2

This is Madrid we're talking about though, with the best player in World football.

As oppose to Barca with the other worlds best player

I don't get how people don't understand this. Watching the ball doesn't mean you can start kung fu kicking across the pitch. You're responsible for where your feet end up, and not watching where you're launching a high boot into is by definition reckless play, and therefore a red card is entirely appropriate for it.

Exactly

Yes there is a law that says you cant go flying 6 studs about into peoples chests (regardless of whether you know hes there or not). Its called dangerous play. Which warrants a red card.

Had Thierry Henry fouled with any of his controls and put studs in someones body then he would also warrant a red card. Difficult to compare an example that doesnt include a foul.

Oh, if theres more controversial (which doesnt mean wrong) than correct on the web, you must be right.

Let me just end this discussion, from my part anyway, saying I think you should have a look in the rulebook before you make ignorant points like that. Dangerous play is when you do that inside the box surrounded by lots of players, or if you know the guy is near you in an instant or if you knowingly tackle a guy in that height. This was not a tackle, he was obviously trying to collect the ball and bring it forward. It was, from Nani's perspective, just unlucky. Him striking his chest is not the same as an automatic red card, the chest is part of the body and this is a contact sport where lots of injuries happen every single game because of coincidences. If you cannot try to see the difference between a dangerous tackle with intent and a clumsy thing like that, I am glad I don't have to watch games alongside you in the stands.

I'll have to remember that one in case I ever knock somebody off a bike while I'm driving my car.

"Oh, it's not dangerous driving officer. I didn't know they were there."  :ph34r: 

Let me just end this discussion, from my part anyway, saying I think you should have a look in the rulebook before you make ignorant points like that. Dangerous play is when you do that inside the box surrounded by lots of players, or if you know the guy is near you in an instant or if you knowingly tackle a guy in that height. This was not a tackle, he was obviously trying to collect the ball and bring it forward. It was, from Nani's perspective, just unlucky. Him striking his chest is not the same as an automatic red card, the chest is part of the body and this is a contact sport where lots of injuries happen every single game because of coincidences. If you cannot try to see the difference between a dangerous tackle with intent and a clumsy thing like that, I am glad I don't have to watch games alongside you in the stands.

Thank you for the insults.

The problem here is you are ignorant to the fact that the word 'intent' is completely irrelevant.

Exactly

No, not correct. Every single game would be filled with red cards if that was the case.

Imagine a bicycle-kick inside the penalty area. How many times have you seen a player trying to score a goal (which is basically the same as Nani in terms of NOT trying to hit the other player, but scoring or bringing the ball down in this case) - then hit another player in the shoulder instead and get red-carded for the offence? I have seen thousands of matches and I cannot remember many red cards for such an action, even though there are many players around him when he does it. Is there a difference between what Nani did tonight and a striker trying to score a goal from a bycicle-kick? Not really, just because the foot hits the chest or whatever does not mean much when the offensive player is obviously not trying to harm the other one.

Common sense guys, this was not a red card.

I'll have to remember that one in case I ever knock somebody off a bike while I'm driving my car.

"Oh, it's not dangerous driving officer. I didn't know they were there."  :ph34r: 

Your point is??

If you drive drunk or try to hit him on purpose you are going to be thrown in jail, if it was an accident you will walk free like you should.

Not that you can compare Common Law and a game of football in any way. In football you are actually allowed to tackle other people without getting arrested, but you would have been if you did it in the streets.

Exactly

No, not correct. Every single game would be filled with red cards if that was the case.

Imagine a bicycle-kick inside the penalty area. How many times have you seen a player trying to score a goal (which is basically the same as Nani in terms of NOT trying to hit the other player, but scoring or bringing the ball down in this case) - then hit another player in the shoulder instead and get red-carded for the offence? I have seen thousands of matches and I cannot remember many red cards for such an action, even though there are many players around him when he does it. Is there a difference between what Nani did tonight and a striker trying to score a goal from a bycicle-kick? Not really, just because the foot hits the chest or whatever does not mean much when the offensive player is obviously not trying to harm the other one.

Common sense guys, this was not a red card.

I have seen lots of free kicks given for Bicycle kick attemtps. Think Crouch gave one away the other day? But yeah, as Zatman says - Not 6 studs planted into the body of an opponent. 

*2nd best player.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Â