a look a long way back to good memories in lower leagues

norton65ca

I went to those games in the 70's back in the 3rd division and in the League Cup victories in 75 & 77. They were great days with great atmospheres. We had some decent players in those days too who would wipe the floor with the current set up.

It was rubbish being in the old 2nd and 3rd divisions, let no-one tell you any different.

Yes, the fans were great, we had some great players and we saw some excellent wins. It was also great travelling with a massive contingent of fans to to tiny 3rd division grounds and overwhelming the home fans. But nothing could really erase the pain and humiliation of having crashed out of top flight football.

• Like 1

It was rubbish being in the old 2nd and 3rd divisions, let no-one tell you any different.

Yes, the fans were great, we had some great players and we saw some excellent wins. It was also great travelling with a massive contingent of fans to to tiny 3rd division grounds and overwhelming the home fans. But nothing could really erase the pain and humiliation of having crashed out of top flight football.

It wasn't rubbish for me.

A young lad going down the Villa for the first time (had to make my own way there on buses) and standing on those packed terraces watching my team win on a regular basis.

I never felt humiliated at all. I felt proud to be a Villa fan.

It wasn't rubbish for me.

A young lad going down the Villa for the first time (had to make my own way there on buses) and standing on those packed terraces watching my team win on a regular basis.

I never felt humiliated at all. I felt proud to be a Villa fan.

You're obviously a better fan than me, then. ;)

I went to those games in the 70's back in the 3rd division and in the League Cup victories in 75 & 77. They were great days with great atmospheres. We had some decent players in those days too who would wipe the floor with the current set up.

I had you as being a lot younger judging by your combative posting style.

Whilst there were some great memories to be taken from season 1970-71 until we returned to the top flight at the end of season 74-75 there were also the horrors of the seasons after our relegation in 1966-67 before the lion started to roar again. Being outside of the First Division in seasons 67-68 & 68-69 and then relegated again in 69-70 was not too much fun and seeing the likes of Hull and Bristol City roll up at Villa Park in the late 60s rather than Manchester United and Leeds did not quite cut the mustard.Those 8 years spent outside the First Division hurt the fans and the club and I for one do not want to see that exile repeated as the outcome might not be so positive this time as it was back then or in 1987-88 when under GT we manged to come back at the first time of asking.

Whilst there were some great memories to be taken from season 1970-71 until we returned to the top flight at the end of season 74-75 there were also the horrors of the seasons after our relegation in 1966-67 before the lion started to roar again. Being outside of the First Division in seasons 67-68 & 68-69 and then relegated again in 69-70 was not too much fun and seeing the likes of Hull and Bristol City roll up at Villa Park in the late 60s rather than Manchester United and Leeds did not quite cut the mustard.Those 8 years spent outside the First Division hurt the fans and the club and I for one do not want to see that exile repeated as the outcome might not be so positive this time as it was back then or in 1987-88 when under GT we manged to come back at the first time of asking.

I agree, but I would put a whole lot of the seasons during the 70's as positive memories (or maybe I am just having a senile moment). I think the same situation now would be quite different as the game as certainly moved on, for the better or worse is down to individual interpretation.

I enjoyed it back then though and perhaps I was too young to be ashamed but...................

Yes we were on the way back up in the early 70s pacbuddies and there were more positive memories than in the previous years of almost total gloom. But back in the Division 3 days Division 1 had looked a very long way off and to have claimed we might win that league and the EC in a decade would have had the men in the white coats knocking on the door. :)

Â