iPod or mp3 Player?

rjw63

My mother likes audiobooks so we want to get her one of the above for Christmas.

Which one would be best? And where can you download the books?

Do you just transfer them from your PC to the iPod/mp3 player?

No idea about this as I've never had one of either

Thanks for any help, geeksters

Depends on how tech savvy your mum is does she want to be **** about with drag and drop or just have something that plugs in and syncs automatically?

I love my iPod, use it almost every day and one of those with a subscription to Audible would be a nice present. The iPod touch is a lovely bit of kit in my opinion. Might be a bit expensive (£169 for the 4th gen one based on an iPhone 4, or £249 for the 5th gen version based on the iPhone 5 which I think is ludicrously overpriced) but it is a fairly decent point and shoot camera too if she is into that kind of thing.

If you want to do it on a budget then get a Sandisc Sansa plus or Sandisc Sansa clip. They are almost universally hailed as the king of non Apple mp3 players, and you can get one for about a third of the price of an iPod, albeit with less storage and no fancy apps (so she cant do the Facebooks and the Angry Birds) but I have never heard a bad thing about them. Again, a subscription to Audible would be a nice accompanying present because we dont talk about bit torrenting here. :)

She is 0% tech savvy that's why I want the cheapest and easiest option.

I can put the stuff on the player for her

A £30 Phillips mp3 player with earphones should do, shouldnt it? Dont need a camera or internet connection

When the whole ipod thing came about years ago I refused to buy into to on the basis that it doesn't actually do anything different or better than another mp3 device and yet costs 3 times as much.

Other apple products I'll whole heartedly endorse, but the ipod aint one of them, especially if you're going to manage the music for her.

To be fair, pound for pound iPods are very competitive when it comes to storage space. If you have a large library of music you wish to keep on you then the iPod classic is still the best mp3 player on the market.

The SanDisk Sansa Clip+ is going on the Amazon Black Friday sale later if you are interested. Not sure how much they'll reduce it to, but I'm guessing around the £29.99 mark.

http://www.amazon.co..._rd_p=344320267

Just be aware it will sell out almost immediately so you'll need to be waiting to buy it as soon as the deal goes live.

Did not know that Black Friday had spread outside of North America, what with not having Thanksgiving or a lot of shoppers going to the USA...

Not many retailers do, Amazon and Apple are the two major ones that do.

By the way, the MP3 player went for £22.99 in the end.

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing as Rob is 60 , I'm guessing his mum must be well in her 70's so one thing to consider is the volume limiters that the French made Apple put on all their European products

My nano 1st gen was a loud banging piece of kit ... But apple did a recall last year due to exploding batteries and give me a 6 gen nano to replace it .. And you can't hear a bloody thing...

So if your mum is a bit on the deaf side maybe look elsewhere

She is 0% tech savvy that's why I want the cheapest and easiest option.

I can put the stuff on the player for her

A £30 Phillips mp3 player with earphones should do, shouldnt it? Dont need a camera or internet connection

Rev's advice seems sound. an iPod shuffle for about 35-40 quid also ought to do the trick. Maybe go to a shop and ask them to demo things for you (John Lewis will do that) or even those PC warehouse places.

As something to just press play and listen to an audiobook, they're fine, IMO. I bought my Mum one when she had to go into hospital a while back and she was very happy with it - small, lightweight, good battery life etc. That's why I suggested it really.

True, but the limitations which come should you want to do anything other than that are a huge problem as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't buy an mp3 player without a screen, ever. I think if you are in the market for a £40 mp3 player then you would be mad to get an iPod Shuffle considering what else is available at that price.

Â