Ipad Mini

PompeyVillan

Excuse me if I ramble.

The biggest difference between the 2 is iOS against Android. At one time they were comparable, now Android is far out in front. iOS hasn't really changed in the last 4 years and some parts are actually worse.

The problem of getting locked into iTunes is another iIssue.

After that, the hardware is possibly comparable, but the Nexus 7 has 4 CPU cores vs 2 for the mini, the lack of a bezel edge on the mini is going to make holding it a pain, as you'll be pressing the screen a lot, Nexus has a standard connector where you can plug into any computer running any OS and browse the device without iTunes.

Loads of reasons. But yes, I would definitely go with the Nexus over this.

Thanks for the reply. :thumb:

If you think your girls will like exciting apps, I'd go with apple. But that's just my opinion. I own an android tablet (samsung galaxy 8.9) and in my opinion it's lacking in exciting or cutting edge apps, ipad seems to get them first.

I have nothing against the Nexus, it's certainly better than what I own.

Ok it's time to kill this apple apps nonsense dead once and for all. Android has the better apps. Not as good as Apple. Miles miles better apps and mkstly free. Apple cripple their devices by the restrictions. Android has stunning apps.

For example you'll probably want to lock certain apps maybe so your kids can't use them. Say the Internet. There is an app on Android for free that let's you do just that. It's one of the vast amounts of android only, vastly superior apps out there.

Then think prices. Nearly 2 Nexus 7s for the price of an ipad mini.

It's a total no brainer if you actually ask questions like you are now. Nexus 7.

Ok it's time to kill this apple apps nonsense dead once and for all. Android has the better apps. Not as good as Apple. Miles miles better apps and mkstly free. Apple cripple their devices by the restrictions. Android has stunning apps.

For example you'll probably want to lock certain apps maybe so your kids can't use them. Say the Internet. There is an app on Android for free that let's you do just that. It's one of the vast amounts of android only, vastly superior apps out there.

Then think prices. Nearly 2 Nexus 7s for the price of an ipad mini.

It's a total no brainer if you actually ask questions like you are now. Nexus 7.

I disagree.

While it is true that you can do far more interesting things with apps on Android, especially in productivity and social media because Android apps take advantage of permissions that Apple would never allow on iOS (and yes, all those people who bought a Pebble Watch to go with their iPhone are going to be horribly disappointed when they discover that you can only do all the cool shit on Android) but for kids where games and edutainment stuff are the main points of interest then Apple is still miles ahead.

I agree with Rev, and that's with personal experience of both.

I'd also heavily argue that apps on Android are cheaper. If you buy through the Play Store the apps are definitely DEFINITELY more expensive than the apps on Apple.

Steveo, large swathe of apps that are paid for on Apple are free on Android. Look at Angry Birds.

Then there is the huge advantage of account switching. Which is coming on Monday in 4.2

So you can get to set up an account, lock down loads of apps etc.. and let kids play. Then switch accounts to your own so you can enjoy the device yourself.

Another huge advantage for Android over Apple. The gap is just getting wider in terms of software.

Also game emulators on Android, how much fun is having access to play station games, give kids a blue tooth game pad and let them play away.

We again come back to price. 269 for ipad vs 159 for Nexus 7 . It's such a no brainer.

I didn't mean one app is a certain price on Apple and the exact same app is more expensive on Android.

I just meant that in general, Apps are more expensive on Android than they are on Apple. You could argue that they're better and worth more but, again from my experience only, that's not true either.

Oh I see what you mean. It's like that study from earlier this year, that average price of the top 100 paid apps on both App Store and Play store showed the Android Apps were on average double the price of the iOS ones.

Great thing about that is, most of those Android apps are Android only so were talking about Apps people cant get on iOS. Apps so great that they are in the top 100 on the Play Store. So in that study they took the top 100, not comparing like with like.

What I was referring to was apps that exist on both stores are cheaper or free on Android. Which is accurate. Android does have lots of expensive apps, mainly because they are such powerful and excellent tools and unique to Android.

Almost all my favourite apps are Android only. It's got by far the better app selection.

Fair enough, that's a different point and nothing that I've encountered.

But yeah, that study you mention doesn't surprise me. it's certainly what I've encountered. You say it's because they're better. Again I'd say I'm not so sure about that at all.

Pocket Planes is now available on Android. About time! I might consider getting a non-Apple tablet now :P

I love Apple and the way all it's things sync together so nicely (loved their products since I had to use them for work and once I got used to them I've never looked back), but I really hope they sort out this iOS at some point soon, this is the first time in 5 or 6 years I've started to think Android is better than Apple.

The key thing when buying a tablet though (and you don't have money to burn) is to ask yourself, 'do I actually want a tablet?'. In my experience, most people don't. My cousin bought a PC tablet a while ago. All she did was sit in the lounge with it and complain that it didn't do as much as her laptop did.

Â