Traveling to Tokyo, Hong Kong & Muscat Oman

TheAuthority

I've got two trips coming up for work.

The first trip is to Hong Kong, so I decided to take my girlfriend and stop in Tokyo for 5 days on the way. Then on to HK for six days. It's the first time in each city for both of us.

Then I'm going to Oman on my own for 8 days in October again for work.

So has any VT'ers been to any of those places? Any tips on things not to be missed?

I'm obviously hopeful that someone will be able to recommend a good place to watch the Villa games - Southampton on Sept 22nd in Hong Kong & Spurs on October 7th in Muscat, Oman.

Thanks in advance for any info!

For the Spurs game you'll need the Intercontinental hotel in Muscat, or the sports bar in the Hyatt Regency, both will show it. As for places to go I'd recommend the Grand Mosque (containing the largest carpet in the world) which is one of the most spectacular buildings I've ever seen. Non-Muslims can go before 11am every day except Friday when it's closed to non-Muslim visitors. Also check out the old Souq in Muttrah next to Muscat Port which gives another bit of cultural flavour.

There are lots of old forts within an hour or so drive and the best is probably at Nizwa (170 kms from Muscat) which is a world heritage site. Car hire is easy but not that cheap if you want a 4X4. Jebel Akhdar and Jebel Shams (highest point in Eastern Arabia) are also pretty spectacular if you don't mind a bit more of a drive, and at about 10,000 ft are 15 degrees cooler than the coastal plain.

For beach time check out Oman Dive centre which is just out of town and has a great beach, full water sports facilities (the diving is better than anywhere else in the region) and a decent bar and restaurant. Again if you don't mind driving for another 45 minutes head to Sifah beach which is fantastic. By the way you can camp pretty much anywhere but if you want booze outside of a bar you'll need to grab it at duty free on the way in because non-residents aren't licenced to buy it. Also be careful not to do that in front of locals because drinking in public is a fast way to go to jail.

Don't forget factor 30 sun cream, it'll be cooling down by October but still the wrong side of 35 degrees most days.

If you need any help with anything while you're here I'll send you a contact number, may catch you for the Spurs game but have a baby due on 4th of October so if he's on time I'm definitely grounded..

Tokyo - amazing place, make sure you go down Rapongi area of an evening.

Also go watch the locals play Pachinko - really bizzare

I lived in Muscat for a couple of years in Al Kuwhair. It's a beautiful place. If you can stay at either the Al Bustan Palace or failing that The Grand Hyatt.

Highlights - The old town down by the corniche, the souk, the fish market, the beaches down by the Al Bustan - stunning. You can also get local fisherman to drop you off to beaches only accessible by boat.

Thanks so much for your responses.

Have either of you had experience driving through the Wadis?

Worth it? or is it a long way from Muscat?

Good luck with the baby Awol!! Please pm me your number/email when you have a moment. I'll drop you a text when I'm there to see if you're around for the game.

Best I've seen a Villa side play today since the days of Big Ron!!

I stayed at the Al Bustan and I think that is the dive centre AWOL is referring to

Diving was pretty decent but I've had better if im honest

Mrs H29 went out on a boat and saw dolphins , you might get whales that time of year as they migrate through

I thought the mosque was impressive if you have a female with you she will need to cover up

We walked down by the royal palace and around front by the fish market , perfectly safe place

Tokyo - the tower is worth a visit on a clear day you can see Mt Fuji from the top.

You won't need 5 days in Tokyo so I'd head down to Mt Fuji or better still take the train down to Koyoto it's a lot more charming than Tokyo.. Only a couple of hours by train

They arrive around October time so you might get lucky , the dolphins are there all year

Other thing for Japan now i think of it if you are thinking of takign the train down to Koyto is to purchase a train pass before you arrive as it's miles cheaper ... I bought ours through ANA in London if i recall .. it's not valid on the "super" fast Shinkansen , but you can still use it on the fast but not super fast Shinkansen trains :-)

• 2 months later...

I've been to HK and loved it.

High Tea at The Peninsula is a must.

Symphony of Lights at 7pm, Kowloon (near the Clock Tower)

The Peak overlooking Victoria Harbour, use the funicular railway.

Lamma Island for the Seafood, you can walk from one side of the island to the other in 90 minutes.

Lantau Island has one of the largest Buddha statues in the world.

Check out Trip Advisor for nice restaurants, there are so many to name!

Nan Lian Garden, Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery, Ocean Park, Cheung Chau Island...oh and make sure you use the Star Ferry!

Lantau Island has one of the largest Buddha statues in the world.

Everywhere in Asia has a "worlds biggest Buddha " type claim ... I seem to recall from my visit this one is the largest sitting Buddha made from bronze !!!!

least it was until 2007 when someone else overtook it

I'm reminded now of my visit to Taipei 101.. Which used to be the tallest building in the world and is now marketed as the tallest "green" building in the world :-)

I lived in Muscat for a couple of years in Al Kuwhair. It's a beautiful place. If you can stay at either the Al Bustan Palace or failing that The Grand Hyatt.

Highlights - The old town down by the corniche, the souk, the fish market, the beaches down by the Al Bustan - stunning. You can also get local fisherman to drop you off to beaches only accessible by boat.

It's a fair time since, but I worked in Muscat (well, Seeb Airfield just outside), briefly in the 80s. Reason I mention it is that at that time, Gold bought in the souk was an absolute bargain. Dunno if it's still the case, but if it is it might be worth knowing. Also there were a number of stalls selling Thompson originals - at the time cassettes - of various LPs etc. I expect it's all CDs now, but they too were a bargain.

• 2 weeks later...

Everywhere in Asia has a "worlds biggest Buddha " type claim ... I seem to recall from my visit this one is the largest sitting Buddha made from bronze !!!!

least it was until 2007 when someone else overtook it

I'm reminded now of my visit to Taipei 101.. Which used to be the tallest building in the world and is now marketed as the tallest "green" building in the world :-)

Which I why I used the term "one of", yes there are many but when it was given to HK it was the largest seated bronze buddha in the world.

Still worth a visit in my opinion, if not for the Buddha but the cable car ride and the views.

It's a fair time since, but I worked in Muscat (well, Seeb Airfield just outside), briefly in the 80s. Reason I mention it is that at that time, Gold bought in the souk was an absolute bargain. Dunno if it's still the case, but if it is it might be worth knowing. Also there were a number of stalls selling Thompson originals - at the time cassettes - of various LPs etc. I expect it's all CDs now, but they too were a bargain.

The souk is quite amazing, last time I went in they had an original suit of armour that was about 300 years old and it was on sale for £100k . They also had some interesting dinosaur fossils and meteorite pieces.

Yes the gold section is amazing , not sure it's cheap but probably cheaper than the uk.

Â