LTE in the UK

CVByrne

So with Everything Everywhere shortly about to kick off its LTE network. Engadget tested the speeds at 20mbps upload, and 38mbps download. That's fast.

Can anyone give an idea what pricing might be like? I have no idea what UK phone contracts are to start with. Also do you think they would allow sim only deals? Or only lockin?

I have no evidence to back up what is about to be a very subjective statement.

It will be **** expensive to have an LTE contract, and to the majority of people a luxury at best.

Mobile operators chargec over the odds for or simpkly cap data at present. The new superfast shiny version will be subject to the same caps but will be MUCH more expensive.

But the fact that everyone else is just a few months behind means there will be price competition soon enough. Obviously for the customer it's best if they all compete at the same time, but it's not too bad with EE hving a slight head start.

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna get it. Either £31 or £36 a month for 3 or 5gb.

20mbps download speed is biblical. This giffgaff 3G is awful. I'll keep the gaff gaff sim for a potential 3g Nexus 7.

Anyone else tempted to go 4G?

I have no evidence to back up what is about to be a very subjective statement.

It will be **** expensive to have an LTE contract, and to the majority of people a luxury at best.

Mobile operators chargec over the odds for or simpkly cap data at present. The new superfast shiny version will be subject to the same caps but will be MUCH more expensive.

And I was right! EE's £36 a month for 500MB on a service where you are encouraged to stream videos? - I think the BBC were reporting that to stream a YouTube video would wipe your monthly allowance in 3 mins.

Crazy. Early adopters of this are barking mad. Between wifi and HDSA+ I have absolutley no need for this service.

Why did you use the 500mb allowance as an example? Nobody will get that.

£31 or £36 a month sim only gives you 3fb or 5gb. Which is plenty. Also it's unlimited calls and texts, plus for £5 more it'll let you have free roaming. Very useful for me going home to Ireland often.

It'll be £15 more a month for a handset. Which I may do, as it'll probably work out £120 cheaper than buying the Lumia 920 unlocked.

Why did you use the 500mb allowance as an example? Nobody will get that.

£31 or £36 a month sim only gives you 3fb or 5gb. Which is plenty. Also it's unlimited calls and texts, plus for £5 more it'll let you have free roaming. Very useful for me going home to Ireland often.

It'll be £15 more a month for a handset. Which I may do, as it'll probably work out £120 cheaper than buying the Lumia 920 unlocked.

Ah - right we're comparing apples and oranges. I was talking about the contract including phone price plans.

The SIM free deals will of course be better if you use that approach. :thumb:

Â