Raspberry Pi

PieFacE

Has anyone invested in a Raspberry Pi yet?

If so, how are you using & finding it?

I got one yesterday, now running Raspbmc (XBMC) as a media center for my bedroom and i'm really impressed with it! Can use an Android phone as a remote and it's really stable considering the size of it.

It connects up to my main media PC fine and will play all content from it. Managed to get it to stream 1080p video on my network at work, but unable to do so at home with my current setup. Think I need to purchase some 1gbps home plugs!

If anyone is looking for a cheap media center HTPC then i'd definitely recommend it!

That seems to be what most people are using it for. I am far more interested in seeing what it (and other similar devices) do for computing in the developing world. It could revolutionise education and business.

• 1 year later...

I've been using one with Raspbmc for over a year now. Extremely decent and a great media center. If you're thinking about using it as a media center to stream content drop us a PM and I can give you some good advice. 

Just out of curiosity, what is it you want to do with it? 

Edited by PieFacE

Ive got a pi I work as a web/software developer. In the summer I ran a youth club programme teaching 7/11 year olds programming using scratch and finished off with a demonstration on of using scratch on the pi. A few of the parents came up to me on the final day asking where they can get hold of a pi as their kids were asking to get them.a lot of them were so enthused by their kids interest in the subject and when I told them the price of a pi were even more surprised. In my opinion they are ideal for anyone with an interest in IT and development to cut their teeth on and the cheap price is ideal.

• Like 1

Bought one of these. I've got it working now I just need to figure out how to use it. I've got some books to learn a bit about computing and programming.

If your are completely new to programming start with scratch. Its aimed at kids but you will learn the basics quickly. Then learn some Java there are a million and websites out there to help you learn.

• Like 1

Bought one of these. I've got it working now I just need to figure out how to use it. I've got some books to learn a bit about computing and programming.

If your are completely new to programming start with scratch. Its aimed at kids but you will learn the basics quickly. Then learn some Java there are a million and websites out there to help you learn.

I've been a software developer for some 20 years now so if you need any help just contact me..

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I'm having some problems. I'll post them later and maybe one of you clever techy types can help. However, I'm already learning quite a lot by just messing around with things in the terminal. 

Just out of curiosity, the commands that are used in the terminal on the Raspberry pi, are they the same as you would use on any other Linux distribution? 

Just out of curiosity, the commands that are used in the terminal on the Raspberry pi, are they the same as you would use on any other Linux distribution?

Yep, the most common OS on the raspberry is a tailored version of Debian Linux

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a Raspberry Pi but my wife wants to steal the TV I run it through for the conservatory. Is it possible with an adapter like this to run it through my old desktop PC screen?

Yes

In theory

• 4 months later...

Finally found a permanent use for my Pi 2.

RetroPie 1050 NES roms and 850 SNES downloaded. Should keep me occupied for a while. Ordered retro USB-controllers as well to get the right "feel"

Â