Support Birmingham

hood_uk

The club? no chance. :lol::lol:

I'm talking about the city itself.

Birmingham really needs your help.

Trip Advisor are currently doing a vote on which cities to next publish a visitor guide.

London, Edinburgh and even Manchester has one, but the second city doesn't.

We are currently 11th and need a few more votes to get into the top 10. Glasgow are currently beating us!

You will need a Facebook account to vote btw.

Please vote and even Villa will get a mention in the guide.

https://apps.facebook.com/tacityguides/

I am still failing to see what Manchester has that Brum doesn't, except for a global brand football team.

Good transport system (tram that connects the city is outstanding whilst brum's is appaling and honestly feel we have the worst bus service in the country) better architecture (the old buildings and the new are spread out and designed well, unlike brum that places millenium point in the middle of an industrial wasteland), more of a culture and integration of people then brum, chinatown in manchester is awesome whilst brum's is tiny and pointless, easier to drive into the city then it is bham, manchester 'shite' areas are not as bad as our 'shite' areas...just a much, much better city and ive lived in brum all my life...although i think the area by the mailbox/canal is beautiful, other then that and the area around the town hall the rest of brum is pretty terrible, whilst manchester's nice areas are more spread out

I have lived in Manchester and completely disagree. You sound like you've only been a tourist there which means you aren't comparing like-for-like.

Go manchester every other weekend so more then a tourist. Tell me why brum is better then??

I lived in Manchester for 7 years. I never said either was better I just don't get the size of it's profile com[ared to Brum's. I know Brummies are a lot more humble and Mancs are very arrogant and self obsessed in general so they are more liable to spread the word of their city.

I would argue Brum has provided more to the world to but it is generally ignored, whereas Manc having a few good bands in the 80's and 90's are championed around the country.

I am still failing to see what Manchester has that Brum doesn't, except for a global brand football team.

Good transport system (tram that connects the city is outstanding whilst brum's is appaling and honestly feel we have the worst bus service in the country) better architecture (the old buildings and the new are spread out and designed well, unlike brum that places millenium point in the middle of an industrial wasteland)

The reason Millennium Point feels like it is in an industrial wasteland is because it is currently part of a huge building site which will see a brand new park in the city centre. That should be finished before the year is out. Are there any building sites in Manchester you dont particularly care for? You probably should slag them off too before they get finished...

Birmingham's transport system is pretty good too in my opinion. I dont catch buses everywhere (in fact, the #37 is the only one I catch with any regularity) but they are frequent and clean in my experience. The entire city centre bus system has been reorganised in the last few weeks to make room for the tram which will now be extended from Snow Hill and through the city centre into New Street. The local rail connections are very good as far as I am concerned, particularly the Cross City and Snow Hill lines which have trains serving suburban Birmingham at ten minute intervals almost all day every day. I'm not sure what more you want really.

As a city I think Birmingham is as good if not better than anywhere in the UK outside of London (which is one of the world's truly great cities) and Edinburgh, which is a world heritage centre. There is plenty to see and do in Brum, the city centre has came on leaps and bounds in the last fifteen years or so and the "concrete jungle" reputation it had earned in the 70s and 80s following the WW2 rebuilding has all but gone. I dont really give a **** what online popularity contests have to say, but it does make me smile how influential the media can be in creating perceptions of a place. Manchester doesnt seem to shout as loudly any more now Oasis arent as popular as they used to be and Tony Wilson (god rest his soul) has passed away. Brum is **** great, it doesnt need a guide book to prove it.

If you go to Manchester on the weekends, it is in full tourist mode. It's not a pleasant city to spend weekday evenings in, even though I was living just off Piccadilly Gardens on my most recent stay (for nearly three years). There was almost no night life outside of Canal Street and the city centre was dead. I'm sure it's very different on the weekends. Manchester was a land of building sites at that time but all cities go through spells like that.

To summarize, I didn't make the claim that Birmingham was better, just that I thought you were exaggerating your claims for Manchester. I don't think there's a huge difference between the two. If anything Birmingham continues to improve while Manchester seems to have plateaued, but I don't visit Manchester often enough to claim this as a fact..

Manchester isnt anything special at all. I have been numerous times and our company has offices there. I dont find it any better than Birmingham at all and I also cant stand the people.

Manchester is my least favorite place in the country,.

It's not about willy waving.

Just a case of showing your support for the city. Birmingham's economy is struggling and way one to inject some money into the area is through tourism. London doesn't throw much to the regions and what it does is the scraps. Lets fight for ourselves for one.

Birmingham and Manchester are both two different cities with different offerings. Manchester has the support of the media, while Birmingham has to fight for itself. I'm not blaming Manchester for this, they are just far superior at marketing what they have.

Vote now.

Had an interview on Livery Street yesterday which is next to Snow Hill station. I think Birmingham is a great city. I have spent 4 years living in London, and although it is without doubt a great city, it is so expensive to live there and is too big. Birmingham is the perfect size, not too big, not too small and people are friendly. Birmingham is affordable to rent and buy. I would choose to live in Birmingham over London.

And I can honestly say Birmingham has the best looking women in the UK. Absolute stunners everywhere.

The problem is Birmingham does not market itself well enough. All the other major UK cities do. And Birmingham still has the negative connotations attached to it.

Will give my detailed input later after some thought and research.

And I can honestly say Birmingham has the best looking women in the UK. Absolute stunners everywhere.

Please give a detailed report of your research.

Just reading some Birmingham v Manchester debates online and it seems like nearly EVERYONE prefers Manchester. Even some of the people from Birmingham. I have only been to Manchester 3 times, so I can not judge.

^^ Does that include the BBC Manchester research? Which unsurpringly said manchester was the second city?

Always consider the source of the research. :yes:

Anyway, good news.

Birmingham is now ninth!!

No I was only looking at neutral forums, about 5 of them.

I have said this before, but I honestly believe Manchester has a higher profile than Birmingham both domeestically and globally because of Manchester United. With a huge global brand like that it is going to increase the awareness of your city.

A bit like how people think Munich is the 2nd city of Germany when it is not.

Â