cheap chinese smartphones .. scam?

slovenian

I need to replace my iphone with something cheap but this sounds too good to be true:

Jiayu G3

- MTK MT6577 1.2GHz dual core processor, GPU: PowerVR SGX531

- 4.5 inch screen, 1280*720 pixel display

- Support GSM & WCDMA 3G network

- 1GB RAM / 4GB ROM

- 8MP rear camera, 1.3MP front camera

- Support WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS

- Android 4.0.3 OS

android-sale.com $189.99

merimobiles.com $269.99

any experiences with those two stores?

Personally, I'd pay a little bit extra and get the real thing (although second hand is an option). You don't want to end up with a phone which never gets updates or can't access the market. Of course, if the bootloader is unlocked you can probably flash it with whatever you like.

• 2 weeks later...

I used android-sale to by a cheap Android Pad. About half the price of a similarly spec'd pad. I just asked them to enter a nominal value on the shipping info and it came through without any import tax.

I would however check on forums that anything you buy is up to the task, as I had to do some modification to get a couple of things to work correctly.

Has to be a scam surely? How the **** are they getting away with this?Those rocket polishers at the Apple legal department have to be all over that like a rash?

If they are shipping to America from China I dont know what they can do really. The Chinese government will just tell Apple to **** off if they try to sue.

If they are shipping to America from China I dont know what they can do really. The Chinese government will just tell Apple to **** off if they try to sue.

It would be a strong mitigating factor for Samsung though if Apple don't try to stop this.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone see that episode of Top Gear where they went to China and reviewed Chinese cars? They are all pretty much complete rip offs of popular cars from BMW, VW etc. When questioned about why their vehicles looked exactly like the western alternatives, the Chinese companies essentially said, 'naaah, looks nothing like it'.

Quite funny actually.

Unless you have lots of reviews to go on I'd avoid cheap rip offs as you don't know what the build quality will be like.

• 1 month later...

I presume you are still in London? If you are heading towards Birmingham this weekend then I have to ask the question which I (probably) have no financial motive for asking, but how are you getting there? :P

Â