Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Am I the only one on the forum that can see beyond the scare of relegation and the excitement PL will bring to this club?. If this team is only the foundations of what is being built here then I can't wait till PL has built his entire team!

I really really really believe we will not go down. (This is not some bout of blind faith or having tinted glasses on etc.) I just think there are definately 4 teams in this league who are worse than us who we will finnish above come May!

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I'm seeing a team that is growing in confidence and getting better game by game.

Guzan, Stevens, Lowton, Clark, Bannan, Weimann, Benteke, Holman, Westwood all look better each time they pull on a Villa shirt.

We got tonked by MC (although in my opinion the dodgy pen knocked the stuffing out of our young team) but with a tiny bit of luck could have taken all 6 points from two CL sides - There are plenty of teams worse than us, don't worry. I predict we will take Reading to the cleaners tomorrow

Comfortable by January and mid-table by season-end

Along the same lines as you won't win anything with kids I guess? Well this honest bunch of kids will win any relegation battle that may be in place and the team will finnish in a reasonable bottom half position.

This for me will have been a remarkable season for the team and PL.

Actually no its not along the same lines at all. The crop of young players that came through at Man U all at the same time were far superior to what we have as reflected in our current league position. Were the Neville brothers, Beckham, Scholes and so on ever in the bottom three?

Furthermore you faith in our team is totally unfounded at the moment and finishing in the bottom half in any league certainly couldn't be judged as 'remarkable' even by the most ardent of fans.

I'm not so sure we have had an easy start to the season actually.

I think the fixture list says differently.

We got tonked by MC (although in my opinion the dodgy pen knocked the stuffing out of our young team) but with a tiny bit of luck could have taken all 6 points from two CL sides - There are plenty of teams worse than us, don't worry. I predict we will take Reading to the cleaners tomorrow

It was nothing to do with luck. Yes we were 'tonked' by Man City and deservedly so with Man City being much the better team. We lost a two goal lead against Man U not through bad luck but again due to them being the better team over the 90 minute period.

The game against Reading is going to be a lot harder than you and others are predicting and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we lose.

Our home form has been ok so hopefully we can get wins against Reading and Stoke

Everton - very poor

Swansea - very good

West Brom - average, not bad though

Norwich - alright up until the sending off

Man United - brilliant on the whole

Arsenal - good

Some pretty tough teams in there.

I would say only Manu and Arsenal are in the 'tough category' - the other fixtures we found difficult because we are such a poor side.

However well we have played in those games, we need to dramtically improve our points haul to climb out of trouble. If we continue to yield the points we have from those type of games relegation won't even be close - we will sink without trace.

Although many of us are seeing a small improvement - we need to be dramatically better to get out of this, due to the form of other teams around us.

It was nothing to do with luck. Yes we were 'tonked' by Man City and deservedly so with Man City being much the better team. We lost a two goal lead against Man U not through bad luck but again due to them being the better team over the 90 minute period.

The game against Reading is going to be a lot harder than you and others are predicting and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we lose.

Of course MC are a better team - some of your comments are mystifying?? I'm not claiming that we are a better team than MC who cost £300m to put together.

Also MU are a better team than us but they weren't for 60 mins and as pointed out elsewhere came back due to a non-free kick and a fluky deflection

How can you claim to support a team and be so negative about every aspect

We will show how much we have progressed tomorrow night against Reading

for me, the best thing we could see from this villa team is a run of clean sheets. saturday was a great start.

if we can start keeping out the goals and cut out the lapses that are letting us down too regularly this season, we will be just fine... with each game, our new players and young players are getting more experienced...

coupled with a new look to our attack spearheaded by benteke, with bannan starting to emerge, gabby looking ready to run through brick walls and players like andi weimann and brett holman trying to make the most of any opportunity they are given, i'm liking a lot of what we're starting to see...

strong first halves mean we have the ability - clean sheets at the end of the second half will show that we're developing the experience....

for me, the best thing we could see from this villa team is a run of clean sheets. saturday was a great start.

if we can start keeping out the goals and cut out the lapses that are letting us down too regularly this season, we will be just fine... with each game, our new players and young players are getting more experienced...

coupled with a new look to our attack spearheaded by benteke, with bannan starting to emerge, gabby looking ready to run through brick walls and players like andi weimann and brett holman trying to make the most of any opportunity they are given, i'm liking a lot of what we're starting to see...

strong first halves mean we have the ability - clean sheets at the end of the second half will show that we're developing the experience....

Spot on

Morpheus - a genuine question - What do you want to happen?

Lambert to be sacked and someone else bought in? or do you want him to buy specific players in January?

Yes i did want Lambert sacked and replaced by Redknapp because i have no faith in Lambert to keep us up.

However since Redknapp has gone elsewhere there really is no-one else available so i am hoping that Lambert will buy the right players to keep us up.

Of course MC are a better team - some of your comments are mystifying?? I'm not claiming that we are a better team than MC who cost £300m to put together.

Also MU are a better team than us but they weren't for 60 mins and as pointed out elsewhere came back due to a non-free kick and a fluky deflection

How can you claim to support a team and be so negative about every aspect

We will show how much we have progressed tomorrow night against Reading

Yes mate i am negative. I want us to do well but i'm very concerned at Lambert's transfer policy when this season we really needed to bring experienced quality into the team. I don't like being where we are in the table and with a few better signings i think we would have been in mid table and away from the drop zone. I just think Lambert has taken an unnecessary gamble with our Premiership status and if he brings in more of the same in January then i really fear for us this season.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I'm seeing a team that is growing in confidence and getting better game by game.

Guzan, Stevens, Lowton, Clark, Bannan, Weimann, Benteke, Holman, Westwood all look better each time they pull on a Villa shirt.

It's amazing how much the team has changed in such a short period of time. In June I'd never heard of Lowton, Holman, Benteke, or Westwood (or Bennett, KEA, Bowery etc for that matter). Guzan had left the club and now not only has he been re-signed but is keeping Given out.

It's rare that you see a team change so dramatically - especially in the Premier League. I suppose in hindsight it was never going to click immediately was it?

• Like 1

Yes i did want Lambert sacked and replaced by Redknapp because i have no faith in Lambert to keep us up.

I am hoping that Lambert will buy the right players to keep us up.

I don't like being where we are in the table and with a few better signings i think we would have been in mid table and away from the drop zone.

Who do you think Lambert should bring in then??

Who were these wonder signings that we missed out on pre-season? Did Mark Hughes bag all the talent??

Lambert spent only £18m on 8 players - the majority of which I'm seeing get better and better.

Improvement was never going to happen overnight but it's coming now - we were not far off taking 6 points off two CL sides. We will win comfortably tomorrow and will be in a much better league position by January. I can see us being the surprise team of the second half of the season

There were a few players I was disappointed to see us miss out on in January, namely Ki, Clyne and Diame but I'm pleased with most of the signings Lambert has made. Of all of them so far KEA looks the most questionable as he seems to run around like a headless chicken.

Westwood, Vlaar, Lowton and Benteke have really impressed so far and if they can continue to improve, and be supplemented with 3-4 more players like that in January we will be in a good position for the 2nd half of the season.

Who do you think Lambert should bring in then??

Who were these wonder signings that we missed out on pre-season? Did Mark Hughes bag all the talent??

Lambert spent only £18m on 8 players - the majority of which I'm seeing get better and better.

Improvement was never going to happen overnight but it's coming now - we were not far off taking 6 points off two CL sides. We will win comfortably tomorrow and will be in a much better league position by January. I can see us being the surprise team of the second half of the season

I have already mentioned Adam, Diame, Berbatov and Ollson elsewhere and have been ridiculed for it despite those players doing very well at their respective clubs. With those players in our team I do not think we would currently be in the bottom three and that's what I mean about purchasing experienced Premiership quality. Lambert still could have placed Westwood alongside Diame and Adam while also introducing Vlaar at CB and indeed Benteke if he wasn't going to play Bent. To my mind that would have been a much more balanced transfer policy especially with the increase in TV revenue coming up at the end of the season.

Also remember that Lambert has already stated that he didn't spent all of his budget in the summer so those additions could have happened although I do acknowledge that Berbatov's wages would have been high!

It's amazing how much the team has changed in such a short period of time. In June I'd never heard of Lowton, Holman, Benteke, or Westwood (or Bennett, KEA, Bowery etc for that matter). Guzan had left the club and now not only has he been re-signed but is keeping Given out.

It's rare that you see a team change so dramatically - especially in the Premier League. I suppose in hindsight it was never going to click immediately was it?

Yeah, and I think it was very much necessary after the last two chaotic seasons - there was obviously something very much wrong in the dressing room with some of the more experienced players - I like how some of the older players have seemingly relished the changes; Ireland, Gabby and Guzan looks to be completely different players than under Houllier or TSM.

I know people slack off Ireland but he really does seem like he's enjoying his time at Villa now and looks to have calming effect on the pitch, also at least to my eyes he brings best out of the players around him (Gabby, Benteke, Weimann).

Well, the club have won twice at home the best part of 12 months. Even with the summer break, that is dogshit.

Richard, you talk a lot of sense for pretty much the whole time and I fully respect your opinions. That said, I can't help feeling that the longer it goes on without consistent point collection by Villa, the harder and harder it becomes because of the pressure. Whilst not 'catastrophic' - a failure to win against second from bottom Reading would be a very big dent in our endeavours to stay in this division. We can't afford to take unrepairable damage into the veritable unknown quantity of the January transfer window and leave ourselves with too much to do. With that in mind, I do not believe we can be blazé about there being still 24 games to go after Tuesday.

The team is improving, it really is - but we have got to start getting those points on the board, particularly against our closest rivals like Reading, and the now the 'fearsome' QPR with their RedKnob factor and all the car-window-down-interview rhetoric that goes with him.

We must beat Reading, or I cannot really see where we will actually pick up the results to match our improving performances.

C'mon Villa... sooner or later you are going to meter out a stuffing...

I think Reading is a benchmark game. The bottom half dozen or so clubs are our mini league. We need to start getting maximums against them to put down a marker and instil a bit of fear in them. Sunderland was a great win in the context of this mini league but we can't boost their confidence by failing to beat those around us, especially at home.

Not just a win but a convincing one to give our lads a boost.