Anyone having Virgin Media broadband issues recently?

Chindie

Trying to get an idea of whether a problem we're having is a wider one (Virgin's own forums suggests it is but quickly gets wrapped in diagnostics postings and doesn't really help or provide any information on whether you are suffering from the same issue others are).

Since Friday it seems we've been left with a service that, for all intents and purposes, barely works. Browsing the net at the moment is painful - pages, even simple mostly text affairs, take an absolute age to load (if at all). Many images load corrupted. Video files simply do not load, if you are lucky a Youtube video will load up 2 seconds and no more. Any download is a no go, for reference I tried to download Chrome, which of course downloads a small installer (under a meg IIRC). It failed that, the file corrupting and cancelling. I remembered I had a previous version of the installer still hidden in a download folder and gave that a run - no luck, that also fails. I attempted to download Chrome onto my phone over wifi, a 20mb file. This took the best part of an hour and, lo and behold, failed at the end of that time. Updating anti-virus software definitions effectively just hangs. Webmail accounts either do not load or take obscene lengths of time to do so.

All I can gather from Virgin's forums is that there is some kind of corrupt downloads issue affecting some routers (the *cough* Superhub *cough*, which we have, appears to be diabolical for faults generally but is also a culprit here), as well as a separate but similar issue affecting a Perry Barr exchange which, with us being not too far from Perry Barr, I'm wondering if that is effecting us...

Anyone else having issues? It seems that it's not worth your while ringing up Virgin, you'll be put through to India who won't have a dicky bird what's going on.

Can't give you any answers or definites. But I was at my parents' place on Saturday and they've got Virgin and the internet was really slow. Not as bad as you seem to be experiencing, it was still usable. but it was clearly a lot slower than they usually get, so maybe they had some similar sort of problem.

They're in Acocks Green

I was at my parents house yesterday and their internet (Virgin) was great. That's in Nuneaton where the Virgin fibre is ex NTL infrastructure. I think in parts of Birmingham its ex Telewest/Blueyonder infrastructure, isnt it?

Over the last year I've had more outages than in previous years. And most recently now that we have someone watching netflix downstairs and sometimes upstairs too, we have received two letters recommending us to do our downloading after midnight.... geniuses.

It's taken me 6 attempts to load this thread to the point I can actually read it.

It's gotten worse.

I've also have my (far from unlimited, admittedly) patience go out the window as I actually need to be able to use the net at the moment, and instead I'm unable to load things as simple as the Network West Midlands site to usable standards, or pretty much any train timetable site.

Utter horseshit.

I have been with Virgin 3 or 4 times and we currently use them for the works broadband. I am now on Sky and its never been a problem, the same when I was Plusnet, but I have had problems on to or 3 occassions with Virgin.

My mom is on Virgin and a couple of years ago her internet was unusable and it took 5 or 6 phones call to there support who kept saying they could see nothing wrong. Eventually as a courtesy they sent out an engineer who replaced the modem, and surprise surprise it started working again.

I've moved back to my parents who have Virgin and it's been even slower than usual recently. They've always had to turn the modem off and on every hour or so. Does your nut in.

I didn't realise how much they were getting ripped off by them. They pay £80 for a basic TV package with a 4 year old box, shitty internet and phone line. They phoned up Virgin to cancel it all the other day and got put on hold for an hour.

And seemingly fixed today. Totally on Virgin's end this, as expected given the fact that the problem is one that a bunch of people in the Birmingham especially were having, and has gone away following Virgin completely turning off our connection today for maintenance, apparently.

I do like Virgin, overall, but they seem to have a service that is far from reliable. The only thing you can rely is, at some point, the whole thing going wrong. While it works it's great though, broadband and TV (which is only let down by the inability of Virgin to acquire content on the level Sky can).

Â