Milan

bcarpet

I'm looking to go to milan with the girlfriend and just wanted to know if any one else had gone and had some pointers?

We would be landing at Milan Malpensa, which look as if it is a bit of a distance outside of the city itself. I know in Tuscany & Rome the trains are very good and reasonably priced so I was thinking of training into Milan and then grabbing the metro to the hotel (assuming there is a close metro stop to where we book!). Is this a sensible option or would we be better off just getting a taxi?

Any recommend any must sees while we are there as well? We will obviously got to see the Duomo, I've also been told the last supper is in Milan too so I will try to see that if its possible. I will also try to get a sneaky tour/game in at the san siro if I can convince the missus!

It's a bit since I've been, but you can get a bus from the airport to the centre of Milan (train station) - they turn up every 15-20 minutes or so. You can also get a shuttle train at the airport to do the same thing. It's quite a long journey into the centre of Milan.

Taxis - you have to be careful with "official" and unofficial ones. Stick with public transport when it's laid on as it is at the airport is my view.

Stuff to see - the Duomo, the main shopping area, there's a big park as well to wander round, restaurants, etc.

The football ground in San Siro is a fair trek, as well, from the centre.

It's not like Rome or Florence - there's a lot less ancient stuff to look at, and it's more industrial and less touristy, but still a nice place. Can be expensive, though.

All this is from last having been about 7 years or so ago, so might be out of date

You shouldn't have to convince the missus to do the San Siro, it's a must imo. Give her a time slot to do what she want in return.

I remember getting a train from Malpensa into Cardona station, which is pretty central (you can go to Central station too). Took about 40 minutes.

On the evening look out for aperitif in all bars. Milan being an expensive city it's a good way to save a few quid. Basically from about 6-7 onwards nearly all bars will put out a small buffet (quality varies) and upon buying one drink it's yours for the taking.

Malpensa to the centre of town use the Malpensa Express as Pete says. In fact everything he has put sums up Milan perfectly, I have been quite a few times with work and (sorry for saying this) it's not a place I would chose to visit for a holiday :-(

• 3 weeks later...

On the evening look out for aperitif in all bars. Milan being an expensive city it's a good way to save a few quid. Basically from about 6-7 onwards nearly all bars will put out a small buffet (quality varies) and upon buying one drink it's yours for the taking.

Very much agree with this bit, good way to eat cheaply and a nice way to spend the evening anyway. Some very nice bars next to a river (or canal) somewhere but can't remember the areas name.

how come drat? I love italy and I've done Rome, almost all of tuscany it feels and part of sicily too so I just thought this could be the next stop.

In my opinion its not a holiday city. There is very little that you can compare to Rome other than both are full of Italians :-)

Milan is very much an industrial city with little in the way of tourist sites IMO. As my good friend who lives there says the busiest roads are the ones out and the slowest roads are the ones in

But at the end of the day that's just my opinion, as said been quite a few times with work and despite what some may think they are not holiday trips :-)

One time we went there, we ended up staying in a fantastic hotel on the shore, and I mean on the shore, of lake Garda. It was about an hour outside of Milan, but it was lovely. That way you could have the best of both worlds?

I will be there this weekend but I'm going for the Grand Prix with a couple of mates so I'm not too bothered about tourist stuff.

I was a little surprised having a look around on the travel guides at how little there was of interest though.

For the opening poster, I would probably look at doing a day trip to a vineyard or something if you are going with the missus. Also, the last supper needs a special appointment to view it I believe and I'm not sure how easy it is to get on one.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just back from a weekend there. The nicest part to hang out in is the canal area in the south east. Lots of resteraunts and bars / cafes.

The park with the castle is a nice part of town as well.

I did the San Siro tour, was good fun.

Not sure what else to add :P

I was going there quite often with work a few years ago. I nicknamed it Milanchester as it's just a big bog-standard city that happens to have the Duomo in it. Apart from that it's pretty drab. Although there is a remarkable amount of dogshit everywhere.

Genoa is an attractive city if you fancy somewhere a bit more unorthodox.

Â