Emergency contact number question

Dodgyknees

I have a less than part time job, which is basically bank job (on a three hour contract) and they call me in as an when, if I am free. Its working for a crappy shop, but I am saving to go to America so it helps.

The other day, I was busy preparing for an event I was helping run and put my phone on silent as I was on the go, couldn't take calls.

Next thing I know, my girlfriend is getting a call from said employer as she is my emergency contact - them saying "we want him in work, we need him in" and supposedly they had rung me at home and on my mobile (although there are no missed calls).

I'm pretty good with legal stuff, but am not sure about this. Are they in the wrong for using the emergency contact to get to me?

For the record, I have done my contracted 3 hours this week.

PISSED off to say the least.

Not sure its something to get worked up over, pfff no biggie.

It was the tone of his voice that pissed me off, its just a job to earn an extra 80-100 a month, his tone was very poor and he was demanding I went in. I don't "need" the money, its for holiday and I can get a job elsewhere. I don't need to be stalked.

Made worse by them telling me I have to work the Festival next weekend for them. Erm.. sorry, no can do. Already attending Festival.

Well the form said it was in case of illness or accident. Not sure this was!

I suspect someone was ill or had had an accident then. I don't think you're likely to find grounds to complain tbh.

In that case they probably shouldn't have called it. I'm not sure why you mention legal, what exactly are you accusing them of? Breach of contract is civil law and if you won, damages are limited to the amount you can show you lost by the breach. It's unlikely you'd get awarded costs for what the magistrate would feel is a trivial case.

If you wanted to use this as an excuse to break the contract, you'd probably be on better ground. If you breach, I don't think they'd persue a claim once they heard your reason.

ofc, IANAL

To be fair, I could just walk out. I just want to make sure I am right before I warn them about contacting me outside of work when it is my free time. I'm sure the manager would love it if somebody phoned his wife for same reasons. Cheers anyway.

WTF... they should not contact your emergency number unless it is a real emergency.

I'd feel like telling them to F-off (but if you want to keep the job that might not be an option).

If they can't contact you on YOUR mobile, then they should get the message that you are busy.

If it was a full-time permanent job and they did this, i would formally request a meeting in writing, and make a complaint.

but seeing that its 3 hours a week, probably not worth it.

But i'd do the minimum amount of work whilst working for them, don't give them an inch more than they are paying you for.

This reminds me of an old company i worked for.

They asked me for my mobile number in case they had to call me.

I told them they could have my mobile number if they gave me a company mobile, as i wasn't going to give them my personal mobile.

and the company mobile would have to match my personal mobile package for free, as i wasn't prepared to walk around with 2 mobiles, and so would need to use the company mobile for all my personal calls. for free of course.

they never did give me a free package/mobile, but they never asked me for my mobile number again.

(i was in a job that didn't require me to be contacted out-of-hours).

also an emergency number is in case there is an emergency to YOU or to one of your loved ones.

its not for an emergency for the company, not even if the whole company building had burned down, thats not an emergency to you (unless you're in the building).

Your girlfriend probably has a case against them for misusing her personal data.

On what basis? All they did was phone a number provided by the OP. It wasn't repeated so couldn't be considered a nuisance and the content of the call wouldn't be distressing.

Your girlfriend probably has a case against them for misusing her personal data.

On what basis? All they did was phone a number provided by the OP. It wasn't repeated so couldn't be considered a nuisance and the content of the call wouldn't be distressing.

It doesn't matter. They've got a form that says that her personal data will only be used in emergency situations. It's a fairly trivial matter, but they've still misused her personal data, and that's an offence under the act.

I'd be slightly annoyed for about 5 minutes then I'd get on with my life.

If your that annoyed about the way they spoke to your other half then just tell them. You don't have to go off on one at them, just politely tell them not to do it again. They can't fire you for it.

Bit OTT all this isn't it?

i don't really think there is a case to answer from your employer, just think it's incredibly unprofessional to use your emergency contact in this manor, as i understand it these persons should only ever be contacted should you have come to some harm during work hours.

The way I see it is that you agreed to go in,if needed.

They needed you and rang, when they couldent get you they rang the emergency number that you gave them.It"s as simple as that.

But as you do not depend on this extra money, you are in the driving seat.

What you do next is entirely up to you.

Â