2012 Tour de France

PauloBarnesi

I don't think Cavendish has any intention of finishing the tour so I don't think he'll be too worried about the jersey.

I'm not so sure.

I've been reading that whilst he's going for stage wins, he's also using le tour to prepare for the Olympic road race.

He'll also want to win on the champs-elysees.

Having said that, he might want to save his juice rather than haul himself over the alps and pyrenees.

I don't think Cavendish has any intention of finishing the tour so I don't think he'll be too worried about the jersey.

I'm not so sure.

I've been reading that whilst he's going for stage wins, he's also using le tour to prepare for the Olympic road race.

He'll also want to win on the champs-elysees.

Having said that, he might want to save his juice rather than haul himself over the alps and pyrenees.

I think he'll get fed up. He's never been in a position where he's had to fight for position himself. Liquigas and Lotto will try and make sure he gets knocked off any wheel that will tow him to the line which looks like what what was happening yesterday when he crashed - he was miles back.

He already seems to be having a winge at Sky putting all their resources into Wiggins too. Not sure what he was expecting when he signed his huge deal with Sky.

He already seems to be having a winge at Sky putting all their resources into Wiggins too. Not sure what he was expecting when he signed his huge deal with Sky.

Well surely he knew Sky would be going for the yellow jersey when he signed, as you say. I'm sure he was adequately fiscally compensated.

Buit it's a slightly stranger one for Sky, I must say. They haven't put all their resources into Wiggy, they've spread themselves a fair bit, and perhaps too thinly.

Eisel, EB-H and Cav for the sprint stages and finishes. Surely that leaves Wiggy at a disadvantage compared to Evans, especially now he's a man down with that retirement of one of his team a couple of days ago.

IMO Sky should have put everything into backing Wiggy. They have possibly undermanned the yellow jersey effort by also providing Cav with sprint support.

Not sure he’s be wingeing? His main aim this year has been the Olympic gold, not the Tour, where he will be getting the entire support of the British team.

Yeah, I think he knows the score in the tour this year. He won't be overly happy about it, but I'm sure he 'accepts' it.

OK :oops:

Jon won’t talk to you for months now... :D

:P:lol:

I just know to avoid this thread from about 2pm each day! :winkold:

I also make sure I have the radio switched off when it comes to news and sport when I'm driving home from work. A few days ago I made the error of surfing the bbc news website and the bloody result was up there! (The stage cav won too!).

Now it's just complete media blackout until 7pm when ITV4 gets switched on.

Cav's girlfriend was certainly winging about it on twitter. The only time I can remember a squad being so well represented across the disciplines was Zabel and Riis/Ullrich at Telekom, although it turns out they had a little more help than just their team mates. These days I don't think it's possible to win sprints stages, take the green jersey, and then go into the mountains and compete for yellow.

I think it's a bit of a shame as I think they are diluting their goals a fair bit. EBH is capable of going for green himself but seems to be fending for himself in the sprints just as Cav is.

I think it was a big mistake for him not to go to a team like Lotto that would have been built around him and towed him to the line on every sprint stage.

Do you guys reckon Wiggins will win?

I am going to start pm’ing, texting and face booking you with clues...

Its not a win for Brice Feillu today

:lol:

Aaargh. Am I going to have to block your posts on FB too? (Or maybe i just won't have FB on until after 8pm) :winkold:

If he can keep any sort of team around him in the mountains, yes. Rogers and Knees need to stay both crash free and on form.

Evans's team is looking strong in these early stages ...

If he can keep any sort of team around him in the mountains, yes. Rogers and Knees need to stay both crash free and on form.

Think you missed out Froome; he was sensational at the Vuelta last year.

Think you missed out Froome; he was sensational at the Vuelta last year.

If Froome is anywhere close to his form last September and Wiggins slips up, Sky could end up with an even bigger problem than they currently have with Cav. Will they ask Froome to ease up in the time trials to help Wiggins in the mountains?

Froome out-climbed and out-time trialled Wiggins in the Vuelta IIRC, I'd say he'd be pretty pissed off if wasn't allowed to ride for GC in the Tour.

Thats **** all on a mountain stage though.......

I think it's more than enough to knock him out of contention for the win, particularly this Tour when the time trials will probably decide it. If the favourites all reach Paris without having crashed I think the gaps will actually be quite small.

Watching a recording of the morning TdF broadcast on NBCSN, I was sidetracked into looking up who this Peta Todd chick is.

Cav has done well for himself :thumb:

So it looks like Hincapie, Leipheimer, Vandevelde, Zabriskie, and Vaughters will roll on Armstrong (judging from Hincapie's non-denial and Vaughters' denial of only the 6-month suspensions).

I'd be somewhat surprised if Cavendish is on Team Sky next season.

Thats **** all on a mountain stage though.......

True but it's likely he will do the pacemaking for Wiggins in the mountains until his energy is spent and then he will lose even more time as he coasts in to the finish.

It would take Wiggins to crack badly in the first mountain stage for Froome to become the team leader.

As for Cav, I thought it was a mistake joining Sky but listening to him, it makes more sense now. He has a lot of faith that Wiggins will win this year and wants to be part of it if he does so. Plus he has lost a lot of weight for the Olympic course so the tour is only of secondary importance to him this year.

I think if Wiggins wins this year, he'll get more help in the sprints next year.

)

I think he will be (just an opinion) and as far as I know part of the deal is to swap from Pinarello to Specialized next season so I can't see him leaving after one season. Whether is has been a good move for him, so far, is certainly a good question. Not too many teams could afford him.

)

I think he will be (just an opinion) and as far as I know part of the deal is to swap from Pinarello to Specialized next season so I can't see him leaving after one season. Whether is has been a good move for him, so far, is certainly a good question. Not too many teams could afford him.

They have just resigned with Pinarello. I don’t think he will leave; he owes Wiggins et al one for the world championship, and I think eventually Sky will get it right. The problem Sky have is tactically they have often been found wanting.

As for Froome at the Vuelta; in Wiggins defence he had broken his collarbone six weeks earlier.

But at the moment the whole tour is in shadow with the Armstrong case again.

Â