Brian McDermott & Reading

PauloBarnesi

He has done a good job though, but when they lost the play off final last year I said they would get promoted this season.

But if they want to survive in the premiership next season they will need to replace Ian Harte. With him in the defence they will concede shed loads. He is good at free kicks and thats it.

He has done a marvellous job, I remember one of his 1st games against Liverpool and they played them off park at Anfield though that was with Sigurdsson and Long.

say what you want about Newcastle scouting but i firmly believe Reading is much better. Long, Sigurdsson, Doyle, Kebe, Le Fondre, Kitson, Sidwell, Shorey have all been top signings for them over years and doubt cost more than a million combined

Ooh, a research opportunity!

*researching*

These are the figures I've got...

[table][mrow color=blue:f67b801aec]Player[mcol]Bought for[mcol]Sold for[mcol]Profit/Loss

[row]Jimmy Kébé[col]£1,584,000[col]n/a[col]n/a

[row]Adam Le Fondre[col]£343,200[col]n/a[col]n/a

[row]Dave Kitson[col]£198,000[col]£6,161,000[col]£5,963,000

[row]Kevin Doyle[col]£102,960[col]£6,688,000[col]£6,585,040

[row]Shane Long[col]£66,000[col]£4,488,000[col]£4,422,000

[row]Nicky Shorey[col]£44,000[col]£3,872,000[col]£3,828,000

[row]Steve Sidwell[col]Free[col]Free[col]£0

[row]Gylfi Sigurðsson[col]Free[col]£4,576,000[col]£4,576,000

[row color=blue:f67b801aec][col][mcol]TOTAL[mcol]+£25,374,040

[/table]

Sigurðsson was reportedly sold for more than Doyle. Even with those figures, were’t Reading still losing money, and the Madjeski sold them to stop the leakage? Private Eye reporting that the prospective Russian takeover isn’t quite as clear or clean as one would hope for...

Possibly, I've no idea what the situation regarding wages and other expenditure is/was. What I can say is that prior to 2008, they were losing money through transfers alone season-on-season stretching as far back as the late '90s.

I have just noticed the top 3 in the Championship are all Alan Pardews old clubs. Reading, West Ham and Southampton. And Charlton got promoted last week too.

And yes pointless fact of the day goes to me.

I wonder what those fans think of him? Not liked by Reading for walking out, mixed bag from West Ham, Southamption fans were bemused when he was sacked, but are probably happy with the replacement, and Charlton fans don’t think too much of him.

Â