DARPA - Toys R Us for Spies

Xann

It occurred to me the other day that I hadn't seen an IBM computer for ages, it got me wondering whether they were still around. Well they are, and despite the fact that they don't seem to make home computers any more, they're still massive. These days they're hocking complete business solutions and, more interestingly, doing cutting edge research in areas such as Artificial Intelligence. Some of the research seems pretty far out (and expensive), it wasn't immediately obvious what their final objectives were. It turns out that the research is the end in itself. IBM are being paid to do it by an organisation called DARPA.

DARPA pays for a lot of interesting things, historically it appears it was their research that paved the way for the Internet.

Here's the Wiki page.

The list of current and past projects at the bottom is pretty amazing stuff.

I'm meant to be sorting the bathroom, but my builder accomplice is out of town.

:)

DERA is the UK equivalent, albeit with a much smaller budget. They are looking at AI and so on as well.

Uncle Sam wants flying armoured cars and robots that eat vegetation and corpses.

DARPA pays for a lot of interesting things, historically it appears it was their research that paved the way for the Internet.
Or ARPANET as it used to be called.

One thing to learn from the DARPA-developed stuff they show on tele: Do not be going to war with the USA, and if you do, expect injury and/or death. The US has been the wealthiest country for a long time, and they've spent a considerable amount of that time developing effective weapons.

DARPA Silent Talk - A planned program attempting to identify EEG patterns for words and transmit these for covert communications.

So if a government developed the ability to effectively read peoples thoughts they would only use it for covert communications? If they ever get this off the ground it could have a massive impact on human civilisation! Great stuff though :D

One thing to learn from the DARPA-developed stuff they show on tele: Do not be going to war with the USA, and if you do, expect injury and/or death. The US has been the wealthiest country for a long time, and they've spent a considerable amount of that time developing effective weapons.

I think it has been common knowledge for 70+ years that you probably shouldnt declare war on the USA. Just ask Japan! :P

I think it has been common knowledge for 70+ years that you probably shouldnt declare war on the USA. Just ask Japan! :P

Ho+Chi+Minh.jpg

Unsuccessful invasion by the Yanks more than a declaration of war by the Viet Cong. I take your point, but it's a slightly different thing.

We are in danger of veering hugely off topic, but the US at the time were shit scared at the spread of communism. I think one of the big reasons they were so keen to help us in WW2 was to put in steps to make sure the Russians didnt take over Western Europe after Germany were defeated, because I think we all know they would have liked to.

We are in danger of veering hugely off topic, but the US at the time were shit scared at the spread of communism. I think one of the big reasons they were so keen to help us in WW2 was to put in steps to make sure the Russians didnt take over Western Europe after Germany were defeated, because I think we all know they would have liked to.

True. We are quick to forget how the perceived threat of communism skewed the picture before 1989.

DARPA seems to have been hard at it since then anyway though, ha ha.

Â