The Film Game

birdistheword

Wrong reasons?

Hmm, Heaven's Gate or Twilight Zone? I haven't seen either, but they fit that bill.

OK, I'll give you that.

Heaven's Gate is a 1980 American epic Western film based on the Johnson County War, a dispute between land barons and European immigrants in Wyoming in the 1890s. The cast includes Kris Kristofferson, Christopher Walken, Isabelle Huppert, Jeff Bridges, John Hurt, Sam Waterston, Brad Dourif, Joseph Cotten, Geoffrey Lewis, Richard Masur, Terry O'Quinn, Mickey Rourke, and Willem Dafoe, in his first film role.

There were major setbacks in the film's production due to cost and time overruns, negative press, and rumors about director Michael Cimino's allegedly overbearing directorial style. It is generally considered one of the biggest box office bombs of all time. It opened to poor reviews and earned less than $3 million domestically (from an estimated budget of $44 million), eventually contributing to the collapse of its studio, United Artists, and effectively destroying the reputation of Cimino, previously one of the ascendant directors of Hollywood owing to his celebrated 1978 film The Deer Hunter, which had won Academy Awards for Best Picture and Best Director in 1979. There are a number of reasons generally cited for its failure at the box office, including its unusually long running time, highly negative critical reviews, and widespread accusations of animal abuse and subsequent boycotts by the Humane Society and other animal welfare organizations.

Wiki

Me, I loved it. That scene above is supposedly at Oxford University, where one of the characters starts off (although some of the 'Oxford' scenes were actually filmed in Cambridge, Massachusetts), and cinematically echoes the dance scene at the beginning of 'The Deer Hunter'. Near the end of the film, we see a scene of a gunfight with riders circling around a group of men on foot, in a bookend image to the dance. It's full of cineaste touches like that.

hmmm, 2 men hanging upside down, both holding guns.

a sandy ground with a man lying on the floor taking cover thinking he's going to be shot.

i have no idea, but i'm going to guess its something like Sahara or The Mummy...

To be honest, I am too. I've only seen it once and didn't particularly think anything of it or even remember much of it.

But that scene sticks out in my mind for some reason.

To be honest, I am too. I've only seen it once and didn't particularly think anything of it or even remember much of it.

But that scene sticks out in my mind for some reason.

When I said I was unfamiliar, I mean I know nothing whatsoever about it - never seen it, don't who directed it, who stars in it, or what it's about!

Which is why I cheated! :wink:

Â