The media in sport.

wiggyrichard

With everything that has surrounded the England rugby team and previous stories regarding players involved in last years World Cup, i appears that the British media get some sort of kick out of seeing players/teams implode.

I cant fathom why leading upto and during every major event be it football or rugby, there is always shite floating around about players etc. and the feeling that the media, and some of the public, take a sense of pleasure from seeing us fail. Surely the media can keep it in their pants till after the event?

I wouldnt blame the players if they impossed a media blackout.

I know whereof you speak. Many years ago, prior to an important match for North Warnborough, somebody wrote into the comments section of the school publication that I was "a batty crease". Totally put me off in the run-up to the match and I had a stinker.

The problem is "England Team train before next game" won't sell nearly as many copies of The Sun/Mirror/Sport as "England Star's sick twisted animal sex bonanza*"

*I have no proof that this is lies

In reality the media will get a story whatever the results but nothing gets the phone lines ringing/comments pages buzzing/column inches filling than a nice juicy scandal.

I think its also a question of public sympathy.

In years gone by when it was the greengrocers lad in goal, and player wages were remotely sensible there was a feeling of affinity with players and if they'd failed you knew they'd tried.

Its very hard to sympathise with someone earning £100k+ who plays shit and drives home in his Bentley.

The decline in media and public understanding towards our nations abject failures co-incides with the rise of Sky TV and the PL. It is pretty clear from the performances our supposed "World Class" players have put in recent years that they simply don't give a shit enough about playing for Englnad to deserve public support.

thought this would not be as high profile with News of the World gone.

no real sympathy for players. If you are famous you sort of have to make the sacrifices like not going partying that wont get your attention in the papers. Especially in these days of wannabee WAGS and Twitter its harder to get away with it like George Best might have in 70s.

Though it is possible to get away as Giggs did for so long

The media are in the business of selling papers and maximising profit, they have no conscience or any real regard for who gets hurt, whether it's in the public interest or how well individuals/teams perform. The public willingly buy these publications.

Â