ICO, Shadow of the Colossus & The Last Guardian

Risso

I wanted it for ages but was one of those things that I just never got round to getting. 

I genuinely adored ICO so a follow up was high on my agenda. Just managed to miss it.

I'll get a remake.

I like ICO, but SOTC is a far superior game. There's a great review for the remake on GC today, talking a lot about the game as a work of art, and the effortless, almost 'magical' way it tells it's story. It's certainly an incredible piece of work, and yeah, I'd go along with Chindie and say it's pretty much a requirement to play, if you own the system/s.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst this is a beautiful game and it is a masterpiece, I've been reminded tonight it's not perfect. The controls, particularly around the camera, suck, and there's a lot of gameplay that relies on how lucky you are. I've nearly lost a controller just now to the third colossus in the game. Not difficult, I knew exactly what I was meant to do and how to do it, but ended up having to roll the dice over and over to get everything just right to do it. There's only so many times I can take repeating something because I got unlucky or the camera want quite perfect for that jump.

31 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Whilst this is a beautiful game and it is a masterpiece, I've been reminded tonight it's not perfect. The controls, particularly around the camera, suck, and there's a lot of gameplay that relies on how lucky you are. I've nearly lost a controller just now to the third colossus in the game. Not difficult, I knew exactly what I was meant to do and how to do it, but ended up having to roll the dice over and over to get everything just right to do it. There's only so many times I can take repeating something because I got unlucky or the camera want quite perfect for that jump.

I gave up on it for that very reason.  Just too random and imprecise in terms of controls, and therefore infuriating.

• 6 months later...

I went back to the SOTC remake over the weekend. Finished it in a couple of sittings.

It is still a masterpiece and the remake is everything the game was in the first place, but made even more beautiful and with tweaks to the controls. It's still got all the old issues with that. The camera still sucks, it still has slightly wonky controls, and it still has the element of luck to every encounter. That was all especially evident in the final colossus fight, which basically became an exercise in balancing luck against patience. Even when I'd managed to upgrade the stamina far beyond what it would otherwise be at that point in the game.

But it is still a masterpiece. A flawed one, but still up there with the best. There's never been anything else like it.

• 5 years later...

OLD THREAD ALERT!!!!!

Despite my old posts in here, it's taken me this long to get round to playing either of SOTC or The Last Guardian.

I plumped for the latter as it was free on PS+ at some point so I had it downloaded.

I've only played it for a couple of hours but I have to say it's hugely disappointing so far. It looks great (relatively speaking, giving it some leeway given how old it is) but the controls are horrible. It's really ruining it for me as I'm constantly falling off stuff or not being able to do what I want to do because the controls are so bad.

Was that the general consensus? Thinking of knocking it on the head. The only thing keeping me going is how much I loved ICO back in the day

I never played the Last Guardian but from what I recall of the talk at the time it came out the consensus was it was a bit crap, largely because the AI of the creature was a nightmare. Some claimed it was like that purposely to emulate the nature of trying to train an animal to do things, and others just reckoned it was shit, but the entire game experience seemed to revolve around how much you engaged with the system or not.

I wouldn't be shocked if the general controls are rough - Team ICO never quite nailed character control and camera control, which basically is the only thing that harms Colossus.

• Like 1

Team ICO and Fumito Ueda has always been about crafting experiences to remember that transcend whatever annoyances you felt at the time. Almost no one complains about how shit Shadow of the Colossus was to play because they only remember the feelings of triumph, and the overall awe inspiring world. The Last Guardian is very much the same. It controls like shit, but the bond the player creates with Trico is one that very few games have managed to match. It's definitely not a game for everyone, but the same can be said for everything Fumito Ueda touches.

• Thanks 1

Â