ICO, Shadow of the Colossus & The Last Guardian

Risso

I've just picked these up at lunch time, and never having played them in their original PS2 guises, I have to say I'm looking forward to them hugely.

Which should I start with?

Up to you really. I started with ICO as I haven't finished the original. It has aged slightly less well than SotC to be honest, but still a bloody good game. It's not very hand-holdy, so it mostly up to you to figure out what to do. And Yorda's AI is a real bitch at times, but still. Savour the atmosphere of both games, and try not to listen too much to the hype around them. Both of them are quite "artsy" in that they rely quite a bit on emotions rather than game mechanics. You're in for a treat with both of them though.

Got these myself as ICO is one of my favourite games of all time, such a beautifully crafted experience and SOTC (great initials!) is also superb.

Basically Mart, you are in for a treat.

Which one you should play first depends on what sort of games you tend to go for, I think. Ico is essentially based around platform puzzles, with crazy vertiginous architecture, so whether or not you end up loving it depends on how bowled over you are by the environments. It's pretty sedate compared to all the dramatic stuff that goes on in SotC, which is more of an adrenaline pumper although it does have plenty of sedate exploration bits of its own. Ico is marginally my favourite of the two and I'd recommend playing that first, unless the description turns you off and you want to dive straight into the action of SotC. Ico is pretty short (maybe 6-7 hours if you don't get badly stuck) and the story probably comes together in a more intriguing way if you play them in order of release; Ico sets up some mysteries then SotC (prequel) sheds a tiny bit of light on them.

Both of them are up there among my favourite games of all time, but having said that there might be something to the idea of forgetting some of the hype before you dive in. Neither of them are quite the type of game that will blow your head off from the first moment. Instead I think it's more about how the atmosphere and the game world gets under your skin and leaves you thinking about them even when you're not playing. They are 'artsy' but not in a pretentious way IMO... in fact there's something charming and sincere about them. I still don't own a PS3 but this re-release plus the release of The Last Guardian are sorely tempting me.

Only basically had time to stick the disc in for half an hour last night, so plumped for SOTC first, and it looks amazing. This pair of games look right up my street to be honest, I love beautiful looking games that aren't immediately in your face with lots of action.

ICO is a beautiful and incredible game!

I'll be picking these remakes up (if that's the right word) never played SOTC myself, but ICO is one of my all time favourites so I'm very interested.

Well I've plumped for SOTC, and it's mostly great so far. Love the fact that there's no "trash" and just some monumentally huge bosses. One thing though, I'm finding the controls and the camera a bit hit and miss which is disappointing.

• 5 years later...

It may seem absurd, but The Last Guardian is out this week, and reviews are available for your perusal now.

The one I've just read refers to the game as not evolving in terms of gameplay like ICO and SOTC did, suffering from puzzles that are a bit crap and an occasionally terrible camera. It's also got some frame rate issues and bugs, which may improve with further patching (it's already had two before release).

For all that though the artistry and beauty prevalent in the other two games is evident here too, the cast of two characters appear to be as perfect as one could hope for given their predecessors, and the ending is 'unforgetable'. I was very late to ICO, and didn't get round to SOTC until it had been out for sometime, and this will probably be the same...but when I find time I'd love to give it a go.

Shadow of the Colossus is an absolute masterpiece.

This... Just looks bad in all honesty. The gameplay looks tedious and the hit and miss nature of the creatures AI looks absolutely maddening. And the performance? Atrocious!

• Like 2

Yeah, I did giggle at the AI - the gameplay I've watched had the player confused if either Trico (?) was purposefully not doing what you wanted it to do, and therefore doing an excellent job of replicating an animal that isn't fully trained yet, or was just plain broken. 

It doesn't really matter which it is, either way it's not ideal from a gameplay perspective and seems pretty frustrating :lol:

I watched the Giant Bomb QL earlier with a wry grin because of the AI stuff.

Alex obviously really likes the game, because the opening moments of the video are him quickly shuffling through some problems with the performance before swiftly ignoring them, but then Vinny carefully raises a query about the AI, where it's obvious he thinks it's a problem, and Alex repeatedly makes the 'it's like dealing with a real animal' defence in a doth protest too much kinda way...

It is rubbish though. Things that don't do what you want them to are irritating. When I sit down to play a game I want to reduce irritants... This is either shit AI or annoying, neither is good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The ground up remake of Shadow of the Colossus is getting glowing reviews.

As it should. It's a masterpiece. 

Onlynow it seems to be a masterpiece running on a machine that can not only achieve good performance, but also make the thing look even more beautiful.

• Like 1

Â