Photography?

trimandson

B23 - any tips on photographing babies? (or anyone else for that matter) A mates asked me to take some photos of his three month old sprog and I've stupidly said yes :(

Let me know what lenses you´ve got again mate, and flash if possible.

Here´s a link that´s quite popular..

Photographing babies

ps the sky image looks way better on my pc.. ruddy compression.

Well today I only have my D70 - the onc amera flash which I don't intend to use unless I can help it (was thinking Natural light - taking a white sheet to soften the light from a window) probably going to use the tamron 28 - 300 f3.5 - 5.6, the only other lens I've got with me is my Nikon 18-70 f3.5-4.5 EG

I might be inclined to use the Nikon to be fair. I can´t imagine you having that much room to sit right back and if the child is in a good mood, who knows with 3 months old babies.. then you´ll be fine to go relatively close or at least close enough to go to the longer end of that lens. Fortunately it won´t move around too much, as in running, though it might squirm. I would stick with natural light as you say, the light might be quite strong if it´s anything like it is here at the moment but perhaps use a frosted window if possible and stay at least f8 or wider. Centre spot for focusing, as you probably know, and I´d say aperture priority but you may prefer shutter or something else. Good portraiture can come from two things, good rapport and mastering your tools.. therefore being able to shoot with ease, so even if the rapport isn´t working or you can´t get a connection you can still shoot "on the sly" .. just as an example. Babies won´t give you grief in that respect but at that age it´s obviously gonna need to be with the mom or maybe father if it´s ok with that. Rested against the mothers chest for example, you can use a light plain blanket against her if you want, makeshift studio backdrop in a way... im wafflin

I bought a 400d with a Tamron 55-200 the other week. If far more kit than I'll need or master for the next 50 years.

My girlfriend bought the same kit a few weeks ago, takes some beautiful photos.

Looks fun bicks.. ill be viewing very shortly, i´ve clicked it so just as soon as I post this.

ps you all know my website by now.. www.damianbrownphotography.co.uk but i´ll mention it anyway!

Can anybody recommend a decent SLR for about the £200 mark (second hand, Ebay whatever). I don't need anything too flash, but want a decent zoom lens to go with it.

Thank you! Have to say I've only really got into insects since acquiring a macro lens, you start to look at these tiny things in a completely different light.

Have always had an affection for spiders though. We used to have two that played dare about the same time every evening and would take it in turns to dash in front of the TV!

Sadly they came to a premature end when my sister, returning after a lengthy stay in Thailand, swatted them. There was a huge uproar in our house over it!

Those shots are excellent Cat, the second one is superb - worth entering into a magazine if you can find the right one

you are the macro godess! :)

Risso, you want to spend just £200 on a DSLR, so you're obviously going second hand

But for that price you're more likely to find a second hand prosumer compact with a long zoom

buying advice for DSLR's is easy - Nikon or Canon are the big players for a reason.

As this is a camera and photography thread thought best to post here-

I've just bought an Olympus E500 8MP digital SLR camera with 17.5-45mm & 40-150mm Lenses +2GB flash card. Any good or bag of shite? Not used it yet as I'm waiting for the battery to charge up.

Stew

The Oly E500 isnt a bad bit of kit tbh but because I do a lot of landscape work the 4/3rds system isnt really what I was after purely because of the sensor multiplication ratio.

Nikon Sensors have 1.5 magnification, Canon's a 1.6 but the 4/3rds system is a whopping 2. which means when using a 20mm lens the field of view is akin to 40mm lens in 35mm film terms. Also because of the lack of support, (it is growing though), until recently only Olympus manufactured lenses (sigma do too now) and they were bloody expensive especially the longer lenses

So Bicks, should I just get a decent compact with a big zoom lens, or what. I know next to **** all about cameras, just want to be able to take some decent wildlife photos.

Â