Travel tips...

hogso

Well actually I'm asking for advice specifically for the tubes, but yeh for general tips on getting down there under your own steam

I would be going by train, and I've done a journey planner thing. Train to Euston is fine, but I'm not very experienced with the tube, Not that I'm really intimidated by it or anything - although I was the first time I used it - I'm having a bit of trouble making out exactly what the planner is telling me.

Basically, you can get 2 or 3 tubes from Euston to Putney Bridge, the closest underground to Craven Cottage.

Euston Underground Station

Take the Victoria Line towards Brixton Underground Station

Green Park Underground Station

Take the Piccadilly Line towards Northfields

or Piccadilly Line towards Heathrow Terminal 4

or Piccadilly Line towards Heathrow Terminal 5

or Piccadilly Line towards Uxbridge

Earl's Court Underground Station

Take the District Line towards Wimbledon Underground Station

Putney Bridge Underground Station

-approx 31 mins

or

Euston Underground Station

Take the Victoria Line towards Brixton Underground Station

Victoria Underground Station

Take the District Line towards Wimbledon Underground Station

Putney Bridge Underground Station

-approx 33 mins

That's fine and all, but it throws up these warning messages;

NORTHERN LINE: Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 August, no service between Camden Town and Kennington via Bank. Click here to see more details about the Northern line upgrade plan. Reported: 05/06/11 13:35 Last Updated: 05/06/11

DISTRICT LINE: Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 August, no service between Earl's Court and Edgware Road. See our upgrade plan for the District line. Reported: 29/04/11 15:33 Last Updated: 31/05/11 09:35

EARL'S COURT: No step-free access to the Piccadilly line until March 2012 due to planned maintenance work. Use the District line to/from Hammersmith for alternative routes. Reported: 05/04/11 08:28 Last Updated: 09/05/11 01:11

And errr...I have no idea if that'll affect the journey at all! I assume that if it meant you couldn't make do the above journey because of the closures mentioned there, then it wouldn't show you that it's available. Or I could be completely wrong :lol:

Are the official coaches any good?

Yes! And for ease of getting down there thats the best option. You could get in touch with your local supporters club as they might have coaches on too, as well as the ones that are on the OS.

As sad is it is though, I actually quite enjoy the trip to away grounds on the train, so have only used the coaches a few times . . . :oops:

Train to Euston

Euston to Victoria (Victoria Line)

Victoria to Putney Bridge (District Line)

(the problems on the district line are going in the other direction) prehaps a different jorney on the way back (get of at Earls Court and wlak to Gloucester Road then tube to Leicester Square then to Euston.

Thanks, it's nice to see some concise information. Although I don't like the idea of walking to another station on the way back! Maybe I'll do overground to Putney and avoid the tube on the way back...?

What you should realise about the tube, is that if you keep your calm, you will be fine. It may seem daunting, but if you leave plenty of time you will be fine. I'd aim to get to Putney Bridge around half 1 if you're worried about the tube, and leave about 45 minutes from Euston. Best option is a change at Earl's Court.

• 2 weeks later...
Are the official coaches any good?

Yes! And for ease of getting down there thats the best option. You could get in touch with your local supporters club as they might have coaches on too, as well as the ones that are on the OS.

As sad is it is though, I actually quite enjoy the trip to away grounds on the train, so have only used the coaches a few times . . . :oops:

Why?

For the atmosphere, alcohol etc?

Or just for arriving at the train station of another city/town?

£25 Virgin return are the same price as the normal trains when I looked. I will be leaving at 7.50am from New Street, getting to London for about 9.10ish, get some food then head to Putney Bridge and straight into the 8 Bells.

I have a spare return train ticket, just looking to get my money back so selling for face value £18:

Birmingham New Street to London Euston

Ticket type: Super Off-Peak Return Valid on off peak services by the route and Train operator shown. Return travel any day within 1 month.

Route: Valid on London Midland trains only

Outward journey: 13 Aug 2011 departs Birmingham New Street at 08:33 travel by train service provider London Midland to station London Euston arrives 10:49

Return journey: 13 Aug 2011 departs London Euston at 18:46 travel by train service provider London Midland to station Birmingham New Street arrives 21:01

PM me if interested. Can either meet at Derby on Wednesday night, in Brum city centre before the day or at New Street on the day.

Just so everyone is aware... If you're planning on going on the Chiltern Line, trains will be running to London PADDINGTON, not London MARYLEBONE. This is £25 return and takes about 2 and a half hours from town. The last direct train back is at 2006.

After this, there is a 2036 to Banbury, then a bus onwards to Leamington/Warwick Parkway where there is a connection getting you to town for 0001.

Then there is a 2206 (Latest train back on the night I believe), which takes you to Banbury for a Direct Bus onwards. This will get you into town for 0150.

Having looked at all of the sites, this is the cheapest way to get to London for the day.

Â