Gym Routine

olboydave

Dead lifts a struggle today... Didn't get carried away after last time and played it safe by sticking on 140kg. Managed 5 sets of 6 but my grip was letting me down badly.

I got lectured at the gym yesterday by a guy who claimed to have been taught how to train by Jay Cutler...

To be fair he was in good shape, and what he was saying was right. But somehow it still annoyed me :D

It's always annoying to get lectured. Especially by someone who sounds like he's bullshitting!

I really had to restrain myself from intervening today when I saw a completely incompetent trainer getting two very overweight guys to do double bench dips. It's a shit exercise that ruins the shoulder anyway but for fat guys it's 10x worse given the extra load and lack of fitness. One was even complaining about the pain but the trainer still made him carry on. Pisses me off beyond belief that he's getting paid for being so unbelievably crap!

204lbs

That's 21lbs down for the year. 4 lbs in 4 weeks to go to hit my target.

Bored of it now though. Aiming to work off my inevitable holiday weight after my holiday and then looking forward to a long bulk over the winter.

Determined to control it this year and not just be a fat bastard eating everything in sight!

• Like 1

204lbs

That's 21lbs down for the year. 4 lbs in 4 weeks to go to hit my target.

Bored of it now though. Aiming to work off my inevitable holiday weight after my holiday and then looking forward to a long bulk over the winter.

Determined to control it this year and not just be a fat bastard eating everything in sight!

Seriously impressed. I find tracking macros so so tedious. 

I'm down to 195lbs so I've dropped 10 and think i'll leave it there. Like you I'm going to try bulk as cleanly as possible.

I find it easy once I get into a routine. I just get a set of meals that are easy to cook and I know the calories for and rotate through them.

Breakfast and lunch are all around 500 calories with dinners 700-800 so it enables me to rotate them as and when.

The cheat day once (or twice!) a week means you can satisfy cravings as well.

You need to put the work in at the start to get your meals sorted, but once you've done that it gets easier and easier.

myfitnesspal is a godsend though. It would be a right ball ache without that.

I just need to transfer this discipline into the bulk which is where I've fallen down in the past.

Speaking of which, 90% sure I'm going for GVT when I bulk. Friend of mine used it very successfully and I've read some good stuff online. 
I know JB uses an advanced version so I'll be asking him for some tips when the time comes ;)

I find it easy once I get into a routine. I just get a set of meals that are easy to cook and I know the calories for and rotate through them.

Breakfast and lunch are all around 500 calories with dinners 700-800 so it enables me to rotate them as and when.

The cheat day once (or twice!) a week means you can satisfy cravings as well.

You need to put the work in at the start to get your meals sorted, but once you've done that it gets easier and easier.

myfitnesspal is a godsend though. It would be a right ball ache without that.

I just need to transfer this discipline into the bulk which is where I've fallen down in the past.

Speaking of which, 90% sure I'm going for GVT when I bulk. Friend of mine used it very successfully and I've read some good stuff online.

I know JB uses an advanced version so I'll be asking him for some tips when the time comes ;)

How many cals currently?

About 2000. Slightly under on days I don't go to the gym.

I think that's quite low for a guy of my size (6'2" 15 stone ish). But the gym is really the only exercise I get. My job is incredibly sedentary and since I stopped playing football regularly I'm rarely active outside of work either.

So I don't really burn many calories. 

About 2000. Slightly under on days I don't go to the gym.

I think that's quite low for a guy of my size (6'2" 15 stone ish). But the gym is really the only exercise I get. My job is incredibly sedentary and since I stopped playing football regularly I'm rarely active outside of work either.

So I don't really burn many calories.

That is very low imo, did you start at that point? Id be worried about muscle loss the rate your dropping lbs

Nope, started higher but adjusted every time I've stalled.

I'm averaging more or less than 1lb a week (1.1 to be precise) and not losing strength in the gym (in fact some of my lifts are still increasing) so I don't think muscle loss has been a problem, beyond what would usually be expected.

Edited by Stevo985

Nope, started higher but adjusted every time I've stalled.

I'm averaging less than 1lb a week and not losing strength in the gym (in fact some of my lifts are still increasing) so I don't think muscle loss has been a problem.

Ah ok, you've done it the right way then.

I cut on 2400-2600 but everyones different.

Ive tried GVT a couple of times and wouldnt use it for all out muscle building, what worked for me was 4 sets 6-8 reps upping the weight each set and each workout, helped build strength very quickly.

Yeah I was about 2,300 when I started IIRC, but I've stalled a couple of times and just shaved a few calories off here and there, usually in the form of carbs.

That's my lifting routine now (well I start from 12 reps and work my way down to 6 on the final set for most exercises)

It's boring me though. Heard lots of good things about GVT for gaining size so eager to give it a go. Happy to be swayed though :)

GVT is originally 10 x 10, i found it hard to progress weights wise and it is boring as ****.

You seem to be clued up on the diet side so low reps high weight will work well for you imo. You really need to push yourself though and train to failure with dropsets etc

I did the advanced GVT because I fancied doing heavier weights for low reps. 10 sets of 5 one week, 4 the next and finally 3, repeated twice with increasing weights and very specific eccentric phases. Found that my strength increased while I was doing it. It was still a bit boring though.

Drop sets are not part of the GVT program and training to failure isn't necessarily either.

Edited by JB

I did the advanced GVT because I fancied doing heavier weights for low reps. 10 sets of 5 one week, 4 the next and finally 3, repeated twice with increasing weights and very specific eccentric phases. Found that my strength increased while I was doing it. It was still a bit boring though. Drop sets and are not part of the GVT program and training to failure isn't necessarily either.

I didnt say dropsets and failure are part of GVT.

But they are great for exhausting the targetted muscle

Nope. VT is the only forum I'm a member of. I've browsed the TNation forums before but found that I had to wade through a lot of shit to get to any decent information. Although I must admit that I didn't have the patience to spend much time on there so I'm sure there's some really good stuff to be found. I've learnt tons from the professional articles on their main site.

Â