Gym Routine

olboydave

Squat progression and lunge progression are used in almost every work out for me. And my legs STILL feel like they might fall off half the time. It is a really good exercise.  

Packo, if I didn't have someone telling me I had to do them. I never would.

ya trying to work the day after some heavy squats .....not good

It sucks every day :( After every work out I'm then on my feet for6-10 more hours a day. And I am unfortunately right leg dominant. I try so hard not to be but by the end of a long day I swear my right leg is going to fall off.

Still, I dig it. :)

Squats look scary.  I think I'd definitely break my back and/or die.

Do them properly and your back will be juuuuuuuust fiiiiiiine. Your thighs will hate you, but your back is perfectly safe.

Squat progression and lunge progression are used in almost every work out for me. And my legs STILL feel like they might fall off half the time. It is a really good exercise.  

Packo, if I didn't have someone telling me I had to do them. I never would.

ya trying to work the day after some heavy squats .....not good

It sucks every day :( After every work out I'm then on my feet for6-10 more hours a day. And I am unfortunately right leg dominant. I try so hard not to be but by the end of a long day I swear my right leg is going to fall off.

Still, I dig it. :)

Try reaching in to low ovens and grabbing pots when the legs are tore off you ....they know at work the days as well the **** !!!:D

• Like 1

I wouldn't go quite that far but while the squat and deadlift are similar in benefit, they're completely opposite in difficulty of technique. A good deadlift is easy. A good squat is a tricky thing to do consistently right. It's the kind of lift where once you go up through the weights it's easy for your form to go out the window because there's so much to be doing.

Squat summary.

Where's the bar resting across your back. Is it on your vertebrae or not (it shouldn't be). Is your grip narrow enough to form a shelf of shoulder muscle for bar to rest on (protecting vertebrae). Is your centre of gravity over the heel of your foot as opposed to the ball. Are you steady. Is your stance wide enough to let you dip but not wide enough to pull a hamstring. Are your feet angled to allow your knees to bend with that weight. Is your back remaining straight as you lower. Are you going down beyond parallel with your thighs. Are you pushing back up through your hips/glutes as opposed to your knees. Are you keeping your core tight all the while.

Deadlift.

Put feet halfway under bar at optimum vertical-jump distance apart. Grab bar outside your legs. Straighten back, lower backside and tense. Lift bar :)

I wouldn't go quite that far but while the squat and deadlift are similar in benefit, they're completely opposite in difficulty of technique. A good deadlift is easy. A good squat is a tricky thing to do consistently right. It's the kind of lift where once you go up through the weights it's easy for your form to go out the window because there's so much to be doing.

Squat summary.

Where's the bar resting across your back. Is it on your vertebrae or not (it shouldn't be). Is your grip narrow enough to form a shelf of shoulder muscle for bar to rest on (protecting vertebrae). Is your centre of gravity over the heel of your foot as opposed to the ball. Are you steady. Is your stance wide enough to let you dip but not wide enough to pull a hamstring. Are your feet angled to allow your knees to bend with that weight. Is your back remaining straight as you lower. Are you going down beyond parallel with your thighs. Are you pushing back up through your hips/glutes as opposed to your knees. Are you keeping your core tight all the while.

Oh.  I was hoping someone was going to dismiss my fears.

• Like 1

Just started on the good old squat and milk (slightly modernized) just to change things up a little. But god dammit  20 consecutive reps are **** killing me.
Ended up puking the first time i tried the 20 rep squat. Body starting to adjust now though! But I tell you, it burns!

I'll tell you one thing. I am going to be sore tomorrow ;-)

the kebab sting the ring ?

No, I'M BACK BABY!! :-)

Good man ....the place is jammed most mornings with the Christmas guys .....hate to see it at night  

5 sets today. The first was fewest to 100 squat jumps. Every time you have to stop, you run to the stop sign and back until you finally achieve 100. I only had to run 3 times, but I thought I was going to die!!! Everything they threw at me after that was shockingly easy though. It wasn't meant to be, but after that mess first thing, it just was.

It's set up for an hour, finished in 42 minutes :D yaaaaaaaaaaay! I now would very much like to go to bed instead of getting ready for work.

• Like 1

5 sets today. The first was fewest to 100 squat jumps. Every time you have to stop, you run to the stop sign and back until you finally achieve 100. I only had to run 3 times, but I thought I was going to die!!! Everything they threw at me after that was shockingly easy though. It wasn't meant to be, but after that mess first thing, it just was.

It's set up for an hour, finished in 42 minutes :D yaaaaaaaaaaay! I now would very much like to go to bed instead of getting ready for work.

That sounds horrible! It's also why I couldn't do the gym before work. Well what I really mean is there are pre-work workouts and there are post-work workouts. I'd want one that wakes me up rather than one that nearly kills me.

That sounds horrible! It's also why I couldn't do the gym before work. Well what I really mean is there are pre-work workouts and there are post-work workouts. I'd want one that wakes me up rather than one that nearly kills me.

I'm too tired at the end of my work day to do this kind of work out. I can do cardio and abs or something. My trainer is trying to talk me into 2 a days. But I said only if it's not as intense in the evening. Also, maybe 3 days a week instead of 5. Just 5-6 mornings a week, but only 3 evenings. Then......................................................................................maybe.

Â