Gym Routine

olboydave

Will do some running,, might see if I can squat in a week or two.  Just started to feel that the training was making an impact, have lost quite a few inches off the waist with a mix of training and diet, doing the paelo.

Yeah, I've been doing regular distance running up till now

Distance running will be pretty detrimental to muscle gains, if you're hitting the weights in the gym (can't remember if you are, but seeing as we're in that thread...)

Yeah I weight train 3 times a week, was running 3 times a week but I think I'll drop it down to 2 times HIIT, probably back to 3 in a month or two.

I've got a new workout regime I sorted out last night:

Monday - chest/arms

Tuesday - legs

Wednesday - HIIT cardio

Thursday - Shoulders/traps

Friday - Back/arms

Ab work every day.

Weekend off. Maybe HIIT cardio again on Saturday, will see how I feel.

My previous regime was good and I'm happy with the results so far, but I felt like I wasn't targeting the muscle groups as well as I could be, and I was neglecting proper recovery periods a bit.

Edited by Phumfeinz

Seems decent enough.

Make the "arms" on back day your biceps, and the "arms" on chest day your triceps.

You don't really need ab work every day either, although it won't do you any harm.

Seems decent enough.

Make the "arms" on back day your biceps, and the "arms" on chest day your triceps.

You don't really need ab work every day either, although it won't do you any harm.

See, I go for biceps on my chest day and vice versa. The principle being that you'll get more out of your biceps on a chest day than a back day, because you haven't already exhausted them. 

That said, I do relatively little arm work at all.

Edited by Shillzz

I can see your logic.

But another way to look at it is your chest day works out your triceps a fair bit anyway, so doing triceps again on a different day means you're hitting them twice in one week.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing when you've got them well spaced out, but it means less recovery time.

If you did do it my way I'd certainly be doing your chest work first and then your arms. That's how I do it. I don't want my chest work being impaired by fatigue from already working my triceps

I can see your logic.

But another way to look at it is your chest day works out your triceps a fair bit anyway, so doing triceps again on a different day means you're hitting them twice in one week.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing when you've got them well spaced out, but it means less recovery time.

If you did do it my way I'd certainly be doing your chest work first and then your arms. That's how I do it. I don't want my chest work being impaired by fatigue from already working my triceps

Yeah, that's the excuse I use when I can't be bothered with doing arms. They get worked a fair bit anyway. As you say, I certainly wouldn't want my chest or back routines being impaired by fatigued arms, and i'm quite often too tired to bother with much else by the time I've finished with by back or chest days.

Yeah, I have it as biceps on chest day and triceps on back day. The heavier exercises first (i.e. benching) so I'm not fatigued for them.

I'm at the point where you can see my abs, they're just not defined terribly well. Gotta chase the six-pack.

Yeah, I have it as biceps on chest day and triceps on back day. The heavier exercises first (i.e. benching) so I'm not fatigued for them.

I'm at the point where you can see my abs, they're just not defined terribly well. Gotta chase the six-pack.

Good effort on the abs.

I do no Ab work what so ever, despite going to the gym 4 or more times every week. Back, Legs, Shoulders & Chest and that's it.

Yep, I hardly do any ab work either. If I do, it's just to kill time while I wait for some equipment to free up.

I'm still only just under 15% bodyfat (down from 23% in January!). Once I'm down to 10-12 (which probably won't be until next summer now :( ) I'll probably do a bit more ab work, as you'll actually be able to see them then!

Once I'm down to 10-12 (which probably won't be until next summer now :(

Why's that?

I'd still like to bulk over the winter, then cut again next year ready for summer. So I'll probably carry on my cut until Middle of September ish, maybe October. Then bulk from wherever I am.

I should be able to push down near to that mark but I don't think I'll get there.

A few months packed full of stag dos and weddings brought my cut to a halt. Up until May/June it was absolutely falling off me. Only down 4 or 5 pounds since June though (I lost 22lbs from Jan-June!)

What are people's experience of hiit in terms of weight loss, fitness etc??

Been doing 2x a week, 7 X 15 second fast runs followed by 1 min rest in between (bodybuilding world says do 10 X 15 secs but finding it hard to do the other 3)

Edited by donnie

What are people's experience of hiit in terms of weight loss, fitness etc??

Been doing 2x a week, 7 X 15 second fast runs followed by 1 min rest in between (bodybuilding world says do 10 X 15 secs but finding it hard to do the other 3)

It's what I've been using as a supplement to my diet this year.

Down about 2 stone (just under)

Your diet is the most important thing though if you're losing weight. You can do all the HIIT you want, if you're not eating well you won't lose weight.

(also your format is fine. I find 15-20 second bursts of sprinting is better than people who say 30 seconds or even 45 seconds. I personally do a 20 second sprint and 40 second rest so it's a nice round minute in total.

mo you can't keep up a sprint for 30-40 seconds. Better to go balls to the wall for 15 seconds than half arsed for 30. If you can only do 7 intervals then stick with 7 but try and build it up so that you're doing 15-20 minutes total. That's all you need)

Yeah, I tried doing 30 second sprints on my first go at HIIT and it was just way too much.

Anyway, trip report from my first new workout session: definitely feeling it more in my chests/biceps the day after than I did on my previous full-body workout. A lot more time to recover as well, I think this will be much better. 

• Like 1

So in between sets of your 20 seconds sprints (whether 1 min rest or 30 seconds) what do you do?? Walk, jog, etc?? I been jogging for a minute in between sprints maybe why I find it so hard to do the full 10 X 15 second sprints.

Â