• Delaney
    • Samuel
    • Solano
    • Hendrie
    • Hitz
    • Barry
    • Vassell
    • Laursen

Mellberg has performed well, saved us many a time (goal line clearence on Saturday, anybody?) and scored some vital goals.

Hendrie, on the other hand has put in some awful performances, and just because he scored yesterday we shouldn't forget some of what he's given this season. He wasn't any better than the other players out there on Saturday either.

How many games have you seen us play this season JPA? Still think our squad is good enough? Still think we'll get Champions League?

bromsgrove_avfc, how is Hendrie more deserving of that list than Mellberg?

I didn't say that he was, I just made a list of the main squad and left out 3 players (because I had to due poll restrictions) that in my basic knowledge of the sport, doubt any Villa supporter would ever say was the weakest link. HOWEVER I did also post that if you felt somebody not in the list deserved it to post their name up.

As for making scapegoats, I haven't even voted yet! It was a question not a comment and I posted every player except three! Am I making scapegoats of them all ffs?

JPA you are an arguable old chap (to put it nicely), but I hope this clears it up enough as you clearly either want to provoke an arguement or you struggle with reading basic English? Either way I won't be arsed in replying to your quite frankly irritating and stupid posts.

Well I read it as 'which player is the weakest link'. It seems to be (and I may be wrong), that JPA's argument is based on a technicality rather than logic, and he is most indignant that Mellberg's name was not on the list, rather than the fact that Mellberg is the weakest player. However I would suggest that a poll is created with a simple 'yes or no' with the title "is Mellberg our weakest player?". I predict, and I could be wrong, that the answer would be 100% no, and the thread would be full of comments like "bloody hell, have your eyes fallen out?". If this were to be the case, then it would indeed make Olof's exclusion from the list a mere side issue and not one of real debate at all.

But I am only second guessing - is this the case JPA?

The reason I agreed with JPA was because the sentiment that people like a scapegoat is a valid one. The selected scapegoat is often not the worst performing player, but the one that has a "tag" that can be used - Hendire/Useless, Lardy, Lanky whatever.

I think it's fair at the moment to believe that the manager is picking his best available 11. If one or more of them is a "weak link" then it's not reasonable to blame them - they are the best we have available in their position.

For example, if as many people say, GB has been "crap" for well over a season, then why is DO'L picking him? Why hasn't someone else been brought in?

Perhaps because he's not "crap" at all? perhaps because there's been no money to get anyone better? but there's absolutely no point in tagging Barry as the weakest link (or any other example).

It's also fair enough to point out that Olly HAS made a number of costly mistakes (as well as being at other times McGrath like).

This type of poll and line of thinking just seems very one dimensional to me, not looking at the wider picture, but seeking a single point of blame and then ignoring the rest.

I suppose i should have just tutted to myself and ignored it...

I wish you had.

Didnt want to turn this into an episode of Trisha, I just wondered who people thought was the weakest link.

I didn't want a 'many' dimensional discussion about the management or an anti Ellis stance. I just wondered out of the starting players in our squad who people thought was the weakest link. 'no more, no less', you know like a whats your favourite colour type question.

Next time I won't bother asking unless it's a question that can only be answered with a small essay.

I think it's fair at the moment to believe that the manager is picking his best available 11. If one or more of them is a "weak link" then it's not reasonable to blame them - they are the best we have available in their position.

Couldn't agree more. Although by all accounts Barry was particularly pants yesterday, it's so much easier to become a scapegoat / become indespensible within such a small squad. Peter Whittingham, for one, Lee Hendrie, Tommy Hitz, Ulisses - barring bad days all effective players when played in the right positions, even if that is just for half a game or whatever.

For instance, Whitts - it surprises me that with our supposed ambition he is the only other alternative to a player who is a having a bad run of form - and if not him (personally I think he would be ineffective over a full 90 minutes) then playing Hitz out there, and running the risk of him taking the mantle of Scapegoat of the Week.

That's why I wrote what I did about the January transfer window being so important - if we don't spend some decent money (OK, wrong argument-) If we don't buy some proper quality soon and have our first teamers pushed then it is only a matter of time before DO'L lands the role. Its the legendary Circle of Managing the Villa.

this post really is unhealthy! I don't think critisising our players as the weakest links is on because we know that anyone playing badly by their own ability (i.e. Barry) but still playing better than most players will enter this list it is too sentimental and controversial.

Nah, I'm clever me, would have to be university (universally?) challenged.

To be one dimensional for a minute, I voted for the "invisible man".

Tommy Hammer has been poor this season, poorer than Barry for me, who had a shocker V WBA but other than that hasn't been THAT bad, although didn't see yesterday's game so can't comment on that.

I wish you had.

:) So do I

..Didnt want to turn this into an episode of Trisha, I just wondered who people thought was the weakest link.

Even I guessed that much from the title

I didn't want a 'many' dimensional discussion about the management or an anti Ellis stance. I just wondered out of the starting players in our squad who people thought was the weakest link. 'no more, no less', you know like a whats your favourite colour type question.

OK. I have 2 favourite colours Claret and Blue.

Next time I won't bother asking unless it's a question that can only be answered with a small essay.

That's the trouble with questions, you don't always get the answer you want. I didn't intend any offence, btw.

IMO, Barry has done 2 good things this season:

1) took a shot on goal vs Newcastle from which Cole scored on the rebound

2) scored the header vs Newcastle.

Aside from that he has been constantly overpowered, lost the ball, made some truly awful passes, such as into places where no players are and none are likely to run into.

Barry definitely needs to be dropped for Whitts IMO, and he needs a proper rollicking from DOL. I think the 65% of people who voted fr him would agree with that.

It also doesn't help the fact that Laursen is injured and Delaney is having to play centre-half meaning useless is guranteed a right bck place.

How many games have you seen us play this season JPA? Still think our squad is good enough? Still think we'll get Champions League?

All home games & the away game against Albion on sky.

It isn`t looking good for 4th place. Newcastle are the riding the crest of a new manager wave & Liverpool are riding the crest of some quality spanish players wave.

I think Liverpool are looking a bit too good for us to get 4th place. (And if you dig up my article I did say Liverpool would be hard to catch)

As for the rest, nothing between us, we all need our key players to perform & if they don`t we all look average. Everton in 3rd place says it all really. If we can stay within a few points once we hit our purple patch we will be up there. The arrival of Beattie (Fingers crosses/straws clutched) in January would give us a real boost & an extra goal threat.

I would call it an average start, we have picked up points where I wouldn`t have expected to (Newcastle because of our awful record against them) & then dropped them against teams I wouldn`t have expected to (Palace, because of their awful team).

• 3 years later...
Â