What to do next (future) ?

juanpabloingram

Well some of you may have seen my recent threat regarding a sales executive role with Cadbury's. Having got to final stage (Assesment day) I was unfortunately not offered the job. Positive to take from it - 6,000 people went for 50 roles.

I have toyed (no innuendo intended) with the idea of TEFL and have wanted to venture off to Oz for several years now.

What do people suggest? I am currently in a role I am not enjoying and need/want to experience other cultures and have some fun before settling into a career role.

Any ideas, experiences and opinions?

...have wanted to venture off to Oz for several years now.

Not sure how old you are but my brother and his girlfriend took advantage of the working holiday visa thing (for 18-30 yr olds) a few years ago and had a really good time (though they did slightly overstay and had to leave - on good terms ;-)), so much so that after a four year gap or so they went back out in October for another 7 months (just on their way back now).

Because of the work they did at a winery in NSW, they got some kind of extension/renewal of their work visa (though they got it wrong originally and overstayed) and that meant they were able to go back this time and get some more work this time over Perth/Margaret River way.

A mate of mine did the working visa thing whilst effectively back packing through Australia. He stopped in Sydney for a while (couple of months IIRC) and worked in a call centre. He spent 6 months out there, had a great time that I'm deeply envious of him for, and actually made cash out there (though admittedly he worked hard and was a fairly good salesman).

If you really want to do it, going out there for 6 months and being prepared to go looking for some low end short term work for a couple of those months, could be something you genuinely remember for life.

I'd be slightly more wary of the TEFL thing. I looked into it briefly, it's a bit of a minefield and there are lots of horror stories. I also found that the places you can go to are pretty limited - in my case I had no interest in going to any of the places that are pushed by the TEFL orgs. It's something you need to do the leg work for yourself though.

If you overstay your visa in Australia, that makes you a criminal. Does this guarantee you free entry for life the following day? ;-)

:evil: :evil:

:lol:

Juan - i'm currently in the same situation. My teaching contract runs out at the end of July and I either stay in teching (which I could do but am abit adverse to - in the UK anyway) or what i am trying to do at the moment is find a job abroad doing something which still pays me! I've applyed to teach in China but i have a passion for youth development expeditions and outdoor learning.

It really depends on your skill set and what you have a passion for at the end of the day i guess.

Working in Oz could be good - does anyone know if that drains your resources?

I've applyed to teach in China

hope you are not teaching them Spelling :-)

anyho .. My dentist taught in China for around 5 years , so absolutely loved it but she went full Guardian reader and worked for free and adopted a child out there

Regarding Oz one of my mates and his family emigrated there 2 years ago , they both worked in the Uk and had a reasonable standard of living .. but it was something they had always wanted to do so off they went .. first few months were tough as they adjusted but he got a job which helped and she recently got a job as a teaching assistant and I don't ever see them coming back

I visited them last Aug , they were renting a home in Brisbane that the rent they received on their UK home was more than covering ... If they sold the UK house then they could buy bigger and have money in the bank as well.

TBH it's a nice life over there , far more laid back , more local in that you shop daily for what you need in a small convenience store rather than a faceless shop like Tesco , evenings you wander down the beach and have a BBQ in a communal area , houses have no radiators in them as it doesn't get cold enough , their 2 children love it and the outdoor life ....

Me I wouldn't take my children so far away from the rest of their family but if I didn't have children I think I'd be over there and giving it a go (I think Perth for me from what I've heard of the place)

I've applyed to teach in China

hope you are not teaching them Spelling :-)

You know, I looked at that but pressed submit before I could change it and then couldn't be bothered to edit it.

but she went full Guardian reader

:clap:

Thanks for the info though Tony. I may just add that being a teacher the comment about the Guardian cracked me up!

Â