Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

To tempt Moyes to Villa we would need one, some or all of:

a) A considerable amount more money than Everton, without having to sell loads of players. Everton aren't skint, just careful with their money

We told you yesterday they're skint, I contacted a few journo's asking them if Everton have any money or not...I retweeted what they said, they're skint, they have to sell Rodwell and tall **** just to have any money.

Careful with money my backside they don't have much at all.

My question : Do Everton have much money?

Answer below

theinsider9 Darren Can

Not at all. It's really tight down there. They'll need to sell Rodwell/Fellaini to raise decent enough funds.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not forcing you to believe anything. I never said we had less than Everton. Merely we are not in a financial position to to sway Moyes from Everton.

I'm not forcing you to believe anything. I never said we had less than Everton. Merely we are not in a financial position to to sway Moyes from Everton.

I know your not forcing me to believe anything.

Who said we're not in a financial position to sway Moyes away from Everton?

My other reasons state why our "money" wouldn't be enough to tempt Moyes away. We have some money, but you realise we still have to cut the wage budget and be canny with our money as well? Under MON we spent 120m and got back what, 35m? What happens after we flog the deadwood on high wages? We'll automatically be back to a net spend of 20m a year again? My arse. We're not in financial doo-doo, but as we've seen its not hard to get yourself into it. We are not a club in a position to offer the kind of backing Moyes would want to convince him to join us. In my opinion.

I want Villa's board to make a fresh start. To realise that they have made mistake's is one thing, and forgivable, to make mistakes and not act on them, or indeed to make them again, is absolutely unforgivable. I think the club needs a fresh start. We've had excuse after excuse this season and it's not good enough. MON walks, Houllier takes over someone elses side, they get injured, Houllier has a health problem (fair one), Gary Mack (is an excuse it itself), the players have been naughty and won't do as we ask them, some credible, some riduculous. It's time for the board to put right what they believe they put wrong, according to the General on his thread. I await the end of the season with baited breath because it certainly cannot end soon enough, and, I want to see what the board intend to do.

Mixed messages have come out of Villa all season long. The players don't give a damn, we don't need a major overhaul, Gerard is ill, Gerard is picking the team, we're in this together, but we aren't winning games. I tell you what, if Villa don't beat Wigan tomorrow and worse, if they lose, I don't trust them to fight hard enough to get anything against Arsenal and Liverpool. Telling them they are safe, after we draw against Stoke City was a HUGE mistake by Gary Mack.

My other reasons state why our "money" wouldn't be enough to tempt Moyes away. We have some money, but you realise we still have to cut the wage budget and be canny with our money as well? Under MON we spent 120m and got back what, 35m? What happens after we flog the deadwood on high wages? We'll automatically be back to a net spend of 20m a year again? My arse. We're not in financial doo-doo, but as we've seen its not hard to get yourself into it. We are not a club in a position to offer the kind of backing Moyes would want to convince him to join us. In my opinion.
I agree with this, Even though Randy allowed the signing of Bent I don't see him allowing that kind of money to be spent in the summer so I think for any new manager it's going to be tough or for Houllier if he stays.

For £120m we dont have an awful lot to show for it and I think Randy will be a lot more careful with his money from now on. With Uefa FFP rules he has to be anyway, Moyes would be a good appointment as he's had 10 years of being careful with money.

Do we have enough money to sway Moyes? I'm not sure. He doesnt have much money but he has all of his own players at Everton I think Hibbert is the only one who has been there since he took over? He'd have to do a similar thing here whereby there are a few players to keep a lot that will/should go and some good youngsters. We are Everton 10 years ago only we are as good as they are now (if you get me?). Not sure thats going to sway him

Would remain to be seen whether he is capable of building a Champions League team (if he had been given £120m instead of MON, would we have been 6th or better? Im not sure) or whether he is only capable of building a team close to CL.

I'd be willing to take that bet but I'm not sure he would be.

edit: However, we do have the one thing he has struggled to get at Everton - a consistent, proven and in form goal scorer.

I think the General K had said that Randy did not have a problem finding transfer money - it was the wage issue.

Shorey, Sidwell, Carew & Davies have all gone since then.

Heskey, Warnock, Beye and maybe one or both of Collins & Dunne may be let go too.

Question marks over Friedel, Petrov & Cuellar future also. Add to that Ashley Young almost certainly leaving and thats a considerable saving on our wages and mainly down to Youngs transfer fee a not to bad transfer kitty which I am sure will be supplemented further.

I think that a lot of managers looking at our squad and the younger players coming through, a chairman who back his manager with a record transfer in january and would probably see it as a position they would want to be considered for.

Simple question for those who dont think Moyes would be interested. What can he achieve at Everton that he cannot achieve here?

I think if we got Moyes he'd make us a top 6 or 7 team but I don't think he'd get us into the top 4, being honest we are miles off the top 4 now.

Out of morbid curiosity. What would you be happy with ?

6th/7th ?

Were you content with that under O'Neill or did you want/expect more ?

I doubt we'll EVER finish in the top 4 again. So i've just accepted that and realised I don't actually care. As long as we 'try' to aim high i'm ok with falling short

I've never thought of the top 4 as some great triumph anyway. Winning something yes, finishing 4/3/2 = Not really that bothered

I think if we got Moyes he'd make us a top 6 or 7 team but I don't think he'd get us into the top 4, being honest we are miles off the top 4 now.

6th/7th ?

I doubt we'll EVER finish in the top 4 again. So i've just accepted that and realised I don't actually care. As long as we 'try' to aim high i'm ok with falling short

I've never thought of the top 4 as some great triumph anyway. Winning something yes, finishing 4/3/2 = Not really that bothered

Spurs have proved that it can be done. It's just about getting the right manager and the right players. Spurs don't spend more than us on wages or transfer fees - I think we just need to be better in the transfer market.

spurs did it because liverpool imploded, can you see utd/chelsea/city/arsenal doing the same?

i think unless there is some sort of manager merry go round at the end of next season (arry to england, carlo sacked, wenger packing in when the fans finally give up on him and fergie retiring) the top 4 is set for a while

6th/7th ?

I'd love to see compeat, but I just know it won't happen. Like yourself I'd just like to see us play some good football and challenge for the cups, I'm not to interested in the Europa league tbh, under MON we had a chance to maybe get top 4 but we didn't spend in the right areas, plus a lot has changed with city, now Liverpool can get back to challenging. And when you have teams like QPR coming up with massive money it all makes it rather hard for us to be up there.

More and more I keep thinking Lambert would be a good choice. I still cannot shake the fact he does not have great experience but his record in this country is exceptional for the teams he has managed. His teams play great football but still get stuck in, they seem to play with passion and from what I read players love playing under him. He is 41 which is a great age and he can really build something he if we can get him and it works out.

Somebody (can't remember his first name) Perry was on "You're on sky sports" and he was saying how he thinks Lambert would love to make the step up to Villa.

Steve McClaren been doing a lot of media work - Champions League with Sky Sports, Europa League with ITV.

You think he knows his stuff?

Steve McClaren been doing a lot of media work - Champions League with Sky Sports, Europa League with ITV.

You think he knows his stuff?

He's just going around picking up accents of the other pundits incase he gets a managers job near to where they're from.